Pick / disarm 01/05/2013 10:12 PM CST
Since lock picking and disarm are combining in skill does that mean they will combine in function as well or will the process stay the same?
Re: Pick / disarm 01/05/2013 10:47 PM CST
>Since lock picking and disarm are combining in skill does that mean they will combine in function as well or will the process stay the same?

Basically, all systems that would check Lockpicking or Disarm will check the combined skill instead. No real changes other than that.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 09:37 AM CST
yes, you continue to disarm your boxes, trunks, etc with the same commands in 3.0 as you presently use in 2.0, and then pick them with your lockpicks same as you do now. Only difference is it takes 1/2 as many boxes to learn with because you learn the same skill from both processes.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 11:10 AM CST

>Only difference is it takes 1/2 as many boxes to learn with because you learn the same skill from both processes.

Which is killing my perception training in test. Anyone else having similar issues?
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 11:46 AM CST
>Which is killing my perception training in test. Anyone else having similar issues?

Are you doing disarm analyze and pick analyze?
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 11:58 AM CST
>>Which is killing my perception training in test.

Only if you decide to stop training locksmithing when you lock.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 12:18 PM CST

I do everything.

and yeah:

>Only if you decide to stop training locksmithing when you lock.

Guess I just need to get over the years and years and years of all three skills locking up at relatively the same time.

Also Im not talking like locksmithing 34/34 perception 17/34... Im talking like 8/34.

Granted I've only done a few dozen boxes in 3.0, maybe it was some bad luck with 1 trap/lock boxes or something.

Just wanted to hear what other people are experiencing with this.
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 01:06 PM CST
>Which is killing my perception training in test. Anyone else having similar issues?

Spend 3-4 minutes with the collect verb.

Or use hunt more. Perception's way above and beyond my locksmith skills as a thief because of hunt. And it's one of my top non magic skills as a cleric (seriously, it's close to 200 at 35th circle) because of forage/collect.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 01:15 PM CST
I have to agree with Krooner, I have never really relied on boxes to train perception as there was many other ways to get it moving, so it really hasn't been a problem for me. Plus I pop boxes way over my skill so it takes less than 10 boxes to lock my picking skills, and I never really see much learning for perception.
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 03:00 PM CST

Collecting and hunting aren't very effective at 1000 ranks.
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 03:22 PM CST
>>Collecting and hunting aren't very effective at 1000 ranks.

I fail to see how learning locksmithing quicker is the problem. I think that perception learning at the high end should probably be looked at, and in the meantime do as PB suggested and don't stop opening boxes till perception is locked if that's how you prefer to train it. I believe it's as you said and you are just used to them locking together, but that is not going to be the case in 3.0, and nerfing locksmithing experience is not the solution (if that's even what you are suggesting).

Even in the 700+ range hunting and collecting do not move perception very fast. I never get off 2/32 using HUNT, and it takes close to an hour of collecting to lock perception. A combination of all 3 methods though has kept my perception ~100 levels over the rest of my survivals.
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 05:45 PM CST
>>I fail to see how learning locksmithing quicker is the problem.

The problem:
Disarming and lockpicking are two skills. Each train separately at different actions. This hypothetically would take X many boxes to lock each skill.
Locksmithing is one skill. What used to teach the previous skills separately now teach the same skill. This hypothetically will take X/2 boxes to lock, since you no longer need to fill 2 separate pools. In the first incident, Perception would train X times, from actions performed with double the number of boxes compared to the second incident. Hence, Perception will train the same as it previously did, but locksmithing skills will lock faster, urging people to not work as long for perception.
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 05:54 PM CST

Wasn't suggesting anything.

Like I said two posts ago, just wanted to hear what others were experiencing on the matter.

Guess I'm just not excited about spending more time finding more boxes in 3.0 just to waste locksmithing exp grinding at 34/34 while I'm trying to get perception high enough that I can stop training it for minutes.
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 06:31 PM CST
>>Guess I'm just not excited about spending more time finding more boxes in 3.0 just to waste locksmithing exp grinding at 34/34 while I'm trying to get perception high enough that I can stop training it for minutes.

Then dont? Use HUNT or COLLECT to suppliment. Even if they dont train as well as in the 500+ range they still train and you can easily keep it moving decently while gathering boxes and then push it even further when you start picking.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 06:33 PM CST
>Guess I'm just not excited about spending more time finding more boxes in 3.0 just to waste locksmithing exp grinding at 34/34 while I'm trying to get perception high enough that I can stop training it for minutes.

I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll halve the amount of experience you get from boxes.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 06:38 PM CST
>Guess I'm just not excited about spending more time finding more boxes in 3.0 just to waste locksmithing exp grinding at 34/34 while I'm trying to get perception high enough that I can stop training it for minutes.

>> I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll halve the amount of experience you get from boxes.

.... This guy is complaining about locksmithing locking TOO easy and therefore hurts his perception training somehow?

DOOOD. Really? Be thankful it's so easy to lock now. It's been a PITA FOREVER.

My foraging is regularly at 34/34 while I use collect to train perception. It happens with magics too. Combat... everywhere, really.
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 06:53 PM CST
>>Disarming and lockpicking are two skills. Each train separately at different actions. This hypothetically would take X many boxes to lock each skill.
>>Locksmithing is one skill. What used to teach the previous skills separately now teach the same skill. This hypothetically will take X/2 boxes to lock, since you no longer need to fill 2 separate pools. In the first incident, Perception would train X times, from actions performed with double the number of boxes compared to the second incident. Hence, Perception will train the same as it previously did, but locksmithing skills will lock faster, urging people to not work as long for perception.

The problem is not with boxes or locksmithing learning faster. The problem is in difficulty/lack of training options for perception at the 1000+ rank range, especially for survival primaries. He wasn't implying what I thought he was, so it's not really an issue.

But since you think it's a problem I'll explain again that nerfing the experience for a skill (locksmithing) while doing the only thing that trains that skill (opening boxes) just so that another skill (perception), that's a exp bonus while doing those actions (opening boxes), will train at an even pace with the previous skill (locksmithing) is a very poor solution. Perception has many other ways to train, locksmithing does not.

As to the OP I do understand your complaint as it sucks. After 3.0 hopefully they'll fix some long standing issues with learning post 1k.
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 06:58 PM CST

I don't get why everyone thinks im asking them to nerf box exp. I'm not, and this is now the second time that I've saying I'm not (that was three).

Geez.

I just think its an interesting side effect of the combination of lockpicking and disarm, coupled with the fact that boxes take more time to get in 3.0, and thought it was worth posting about to hear what people had to say.

Imagine that someone wanting to discuss something on a forums. Quick lets all burn him at the stake.
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 07:28 PM CST
Heh, simmer down folks...

We'll take a look and see how perception exp is working out. I would like to think we can find other useful uses for perception, and ways to train it at higher skill levels than simply doubling box exp...

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 08:19 PM CST
>>Hence, Perception will train the same as it previously did, but locksmithing skills will lock faster, urging people to not work as long for perception.

I'm really failing to see why someone wouldn't just keep popping boxes after they ML locksmithing if they still wanted to learn perception.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 08:42 PM CST
>>I'm really failing to see why someone wouldn't just keep popping boxes after they ML locksmithing if they still wanted to learn perception.

Because they ran out of boxes? With the slow down in hunting, that becomes a problem, where locksmithing isn't (due to 'double dipping' on disarm/pick).

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 08:49 PM CST
>>With the slow down in hunting, that becomes a problem, where locksmithing isn't (due to 'double dipping' on disarm/pick).

This is a very valid reason to up the perception experience from boxes. The combination of lockpicking and disarm skills is not.

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 08:52 PM CST
>>We'll take a look and see how perception exp is working out. I would like to think we can find other useful uses for perception, and ways to train it at higher skill levels than simply doubling box exp...

A good option for the combat oriented would be to fill the critter ladder out with stealth creatures. That is one Thing the high level areas have covered with the top few critters.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 08:56 PM CST
>>I'm really failing to see why someone wouldn't just keep popping boxes after they ML locksmithing if they still wanted to learn perception.

For me personally, death, not worth it. This is based on 2.0. But specially since you can suppliment with collect that is danger free.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 09:06 PM CST
In addition, for those saying 'just collect', here's a test I just finished running, timing for 0-34 of percep of JUST collecting:

[Script finished (In 2281.4584919 seconds): collect2.cmd(86)]

That's 40 minutes of straight RT. High ranks perception needs work.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 09:20 PM CST
>>[Script finished (In 2281.4584919 seconds): collect2.cmd(86)]

>>That's 40 minutes of straight RT.

In unrelated news, I wish I could mindlock Mech Lore that fast :(

>>High ranks perception needs work.

I've always wondered why people say perception is so easy to train. I assume it's true if you fight stealthy creatures, but just between HUNT, COLLECT, and boxes, I've always found it impossible to keep perception moving faster than the exp drain rate (it does march along slowly but surely though, so it's better than alot of skills)

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 09:22 PM CST
>>Because they ran out of boxes? With the slow down in hunting, that becomes a problem, where locksmithing isn't (due to 'double dipping' on disarm/pick).

Except the discussion is "I ML locksmithing before I get perception to where I want it to be," not "I can't get perception where I want it to be because I don't have enough boxes because I can't kill as fast"

Re: Pick / disarm 01/06/2013 09:26 PM CST
I think it has to do with skillset placement. It's easier for Survival secondaries than primaries, and easier for tertiaries than secondaries.

i.e. it's easy as cake for me to lock Perception by just HUNTing every 75 seconds. Stealth creatures only make it easier.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg