carving book typo: 01/01/2013 08:59 PM CST
Shouldn't it require a bone stack, rather than an ingot?

GENT

You turn your book to page 3, instructions for crafting a bone war club.
>
-= Chapter 8, Page 3: Instructions for crafting a bone war club =-

A bone war club is a craftable item in the Engineering society under the Carving crafting discipline. This is considered to be a simple piece to make, though knowledge of the Improvised Bone Weaponry technique will be beneficial to the crafter.

This item is listed as a "finished bone blunt weapon" ingredient type and is created using a bonesaw. A crafter may also find it helpful to have a rasp, a riffler set and a jar of polish on hand.

A list of ingredients is provided:

(1) refined metal ingot (7 volume)
(1) finished wooden haft
Re: Bone Carving [bug] 01/01/2013 09:13 PM CST
Definitely a problem here.

You analyze the maul and learn more about its construction.
This appears to be a type of finished bone blunt weapon that is riddled with mistakes and practically worthless.
The maul is a complicated piece to make.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
low slice damage
devastating impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The maul is unbelievably designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the maul is fairly balanced and is very well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the maul is extremely resistant to damage, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the bone in the maul has a quality of 96, placing it at 'nearly perfect' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the maul has a durability of 15, placing it at 'terrible durability' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the maul has a workability of 75, placing it at 'rather easy to work with' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the bone in the maul has an electrical resistance of 25, placing it at 'an exceptional conductor of electricity' on the official Trader's Scale.
You think it is likely that the bone in the maul has a thermal resistance of 25, placing it at 'exceptional at transfering heat and cold' on the official Trader's Scale.
You are confident that the bone in the maul has a physical resistance of 50, placing it at 'somewhat good at repelling physical blows' on the official Trader's Scale.
The maul came from bones that were average in size.
You think it is likely that the maul weighs around 40 stones.
You are certain that the maul is worth exactly 4400 kronars, 3520 lirums, or 3175 dokoras.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: carving book typo: 01/01/2013 09:13 PM CST
O.O

unbelievably designed for improving the force of your attacks
extremely resistant to damage
40 stones

WTB bone maul plz.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: carving book typo: 01/01/2013 09:23 PM CST
.... geeze. Drool.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: carving book typo: 01/01/2013 09:23 PM CST
Unless the OP deleted it, it doesn't seem to list a hardness.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: carving book typo: 01/01/2013 09:31 PM CST
No hardness is not listed for bone. Not sure why, but checked several different bone types, and none had hardness listed.
Re: carving book typo: 01/01/2013 09:44 PM CST
The weight on this shiv seems off...

You put your shiv on the counter.

Naissura puts the shiv on the small balance scale and adds small stones one by one until the beam becomes exactly level.

Naissura squints at the balance beam needle and says, "The shiv weighs about nine stones," and puts the shiv on the counter.

You pay Naissura and take your shiv off the counter.

A goblin-bone shiv is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
A goblin-bone shiv trains the small edged skill.

moderate puncture damage
fair slice damage
poor impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The shiv is terribly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are confident that the shiv is excellently balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the shiv is extremely resistant to damage, and is in pristine condition.

You wonder if the shiv might weigh a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the shiv is worth exactly 1062 kronars, 850 lirums, or 766 dokoras.

9 stones? 2.75 x 3 = 8.25. Shouldn't that result in an 8-stone weapon?

Roundtime: 8 seconds.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: carving book typo: 01/01/2013 09:53 PM CST
Ok, here's a fun one. I picked up an unfinished flail someone else left behind. I studied my carving book for a javelin. I then carved the flail. StormFront recognized the item in my hand as a javelin. The item in my hand, however, is still a "flail". It apps like a javelin, though.

A goblin-bone flail is a heavy thrown and pike melee-ranged weapon.
A goblin-bone flail trains the heavy thrown and polearm skills.

great puncture damage
somewhat fair slice damage
fair impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The flail is poorly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the flail is very well balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the flail is extremely resistant to damage, and is in pristine condition.

You estimate that the flail weighs around 20 stones.
You are certain that the flail is worth exactly 2200 kronars, 1760 lirums, or 1587 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Convert Restore 01/01/2013 10:05 PM CST
CONVERT RESTORE doesn't seem to reset previous allocations.

CONVERT also doesn't seem to work in RT.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: Convert Restore 01/01/2013 10:11 PM CST
Convert Restore also seems to reset your crafting skills to 0, even if you've actually gain experience in the skills.

You've gained a new rank in your forging ability.
>exp

Circle: 23
Showing all skills with field experience.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Forging: 1 57% ruminating (8/34)

Total Ranks Displayed: 1
Time Development Points: 16 Favors: 0 Deaths: 0 Departs: 0
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information
>convert restore
Reset your mech lore to its original pre-conversion value.
>exp

Circle: 23
Showing all skills with field experience.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Forging: 0 00% ruminating (8/34)

No skills have field experience or none meet your criteria!

Total Ranks Displayed: 0
Time Development Points: 16 Favors: 0 Deaths: 0 Departs: 0
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Bone Poles 01/01/2013 10:21 PM CST
While I don't believe this is actually a bug, since stone poles don't work with forging, bone poles also don't work with forging.

You need another finished short wooden pole to continue crafting an unfinished steel diagonal-peen hammer. You believe you can assemble the two ingredients together once you acquire them.

[Ingredients can be added by using ASSEMBLE Ingredient1 WITH Ingredient2]
>get my pole
You get a short rat-bone pole from inside your oilcloth rucksack.
>Assemble my hammer with my pole
The short pole is not required to continue crafting the diagonal-peen hammer, so you stop assembling them.

Also... why do I need another finished short wooden pole? It seems like this hammer only requires 1 pole. This is the messaging you get when you try to pour oil on an item that needs to be assemble... in specific a mid carbon steel diagonal-peen hammer.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: carving book typo: 01/02/2013 12:16 AM CST
Fixed most of the typos.

Looking into why weapons are acting up a bit.

Will also look into why the bone stack's count isn't being reduced properly.

I think you can still COUNT finished leather items. Not sure if I want to consider it a bug or not.

Thanks for testing it! Just easier to find the bugs this way :P

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: carving book typo: 01/02/2013 02:17 AM CST
Not sure if these are related, but there is no messaging given when you finish the weapon. You just figure it out when you try to continue carving. I wonder if something is happening there?

Either way, it would be nice to have some messaging indicating that the crafting process is complete. I thought that was how the other systems worked, from my experience.

GENT
Re: carving book typo: 01/02/2013 08:14 AM CST
looks like everything is coming out with capped damage and really low weights. Great puncture on a 20 stone javelin-flail. That beats glaes stats by alot!

If I remember correctly I think a capped 48 stone tyrium javelin and a capped kertig javelin at 52 stones comes out with very great puncture. So that weapon there has better than tyrium stats.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: carving book typo: 01/02/2013 08:44 AM CST
I suddenly want measure the storage space in a shallow bone cup.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: carving book typo: 01/02/2013 08:51 AM CST
unbelievably designed for improving the force of your attacks
extremely resistant to damage
40 stones

WTB bone maul plz.

>>This appears to be a type of finished bone blunt weapon that is riddled with mistakes and practically worthless.

And just imagine if it wasn't riddled worthless junk!

~The Prydaen~
Re: carving book typo: 01/02/2013 12:03 PM CST
Yeah... I'm hoping the stats on these are all off by a lot or weaponsmithing just became quite a lot less of a specialized discipline.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: carving book typo: 01/02/2013 01:52 PM CST

My spear are uneven:

>carve spear with bon
Back and forth you saw an iron bonesaw across the spear's bones. Mixed up surface scars cover the bones' surface, the result of your poor sawing.

When you have finished working you determine the spear are uneven.
Roundtime: 15 sec.
---
Re: carving book typo: 01/02/2013 02:00 PM CST

Here's an odd one... not sure what happened. It appears that I lost my "study book" maybe? All of a sudden it went from outsanding to ruined after an 'apparent' successful carve.

>anal mallet
You thoroughly analyze the mallet, revealing some of its secrets.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished bone blunt weapon.
The mallet's surface looks smooth and ready for further carving.
From the progress so far, it looks like the mallet is of outstanding quality.
The mallet is a somewhat challenging piece to make.
Roundtime: 7 sec.
>stow
You put your rasp in your traveler's pack.
>get bon
You get an iron bonesaw from inside your traveler's pack.
>carve mall with bon
Back and forth you saw an iron bonesaw across the mallet's bones. Cleaning dust from the mallet reveals absolutely no flaws with the recent sawing.
Roundtime: 20 sec.
>
A shuddering crack fills the air as several of the jagged stone spears surrounding you at melee range crumble to dust, only to be replaced by others that rise quickly out of the ground.
>carve mall with bon
You saw an iron bonesaw across several of the bones in your mallet. The work proceeds as planned without any mistakes whatsoever.

Once finished you realize the mallet has developed an uneven texture along its surface.
Roundtime: 9 sec.
>
You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
>
The jagged stone spears surrounding you at melee range flex and shiver, sending flakes of stone drifting to the ground.
>anal mallet
An uneven texture mars the surface of the mallet. This will make carving more difficult and should be corrected by scraping the mallet with a rasp.
>stow
You put your bonesaw in your traveler's pack.
>get rasp
You get a tapered steel rasp from inside your traveler's pack.
>scrape mallet with rasp
You scrape away at an unfinished goblin-bone mallet with the rasp using long, slow strokes. The surface of the bones now shows a completely uniform texture.
>stow
You put your rasp in your traveler's pack.
>anal mallet
The mallet appears free of defects that would impede further carving.
>get bon
>carve mall with bon
Back and forth you saw an iron bonesaw across the mallet's bones. The work proceeds as planned without any mistakes whatsoever.
Roundtime: 13 sec.
>
>anal mallet
The mallet appears free of defects that would impede further carving.
From the progress so far, it looks like the mallet is riddled with mistakes and practically worthless.
>
>carve mall with bon
You cannot figure out how to do that. Perhaps finding suitable ingredients and studying some instructions would help.

>carve my mallet with bon
You cannot figure out how to do that. Perhaps finding suitable ingredients and studying some instructions would help.

>stow
>get book
You get a book of master carving instructions from inside your traveler's pack.
>study book
You scan the mallet instructions with a glance and confidently discern most of the design's minutiae.
You now feel ready to begin the crafting process.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>stow
You put your book in your traveler's pack.
>get bon
You saw an iron bonesaw across several of the bones in your mallet. The work proceeds as planned without any mistakes whatsoever.
>
>
Your centipede goes exploring, ending up on your other shoulder.
>anal mallet
From the progress so far, it looks like the mallet is riddled with mistakes and practically worthless.
>stow
>get book
>
You get a book of master carving instructions from inside your traveler's pack.
>study book
You scan the mallet instructions with a glance and confidently discern most of the design's minutiae.
You now feel ready to begin the crafting process.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
>stow
You put your book in your traveler's pack.
>get bon
>
Back and forth you saw an iron bonesaw across the mallet's bones. Cleaning dust from the mallet reveals absolutely no flaws with the recent sawing.
Roundtime: 13 sec.
>anal mallet
>

Tried studying/carving again.. but 10 more carves into the thing and no further progress change.
Re: carving book typo: 01/04/2013 07:41 AM CST
>>Yeah... I'm hoping the stats on these are all off by a lot or weaponsmithing just became quite a lot less of a specialized discipline.

The weapon appraisals are certain by he didn't get a weight on the maul that had everyone drooling. "You think it weighs 40 stones" doesn't mean much, the range of variance on appraisals of that success range means it could easily weigh double or triple that.
Re: carving book typo: 01/04/2013 10:08 AM CST
Bone weapons are really broken right now. It doesn't matter what the weight/quality is, they all end up apping the same for each template. I wouldn't worry about it as Kodius is taking a look at them.
Re: carving book typo: 01/04/2013 11:37 AM CST
>>The weapon appraisals are certain by he didn't get a weight on the maul that had everyone drooling. "You think it weighs 40 stones" doesn't mean much, the range of variance on appraisals of that success range means it could easily weigh double or triple that.

The actual weight was 44 stones, which is mathematically correct - 16 volumes * 2.75 density. And stop drooling, it's a bug and won't exist outside of test. Any bone maul you create, no matter the material, from riddled with mistakes to masterfully-crafted, will look like that. Your unguilded newb with no experience can kill a couple rats/frogs, scrape the bones so poorly then end up at 1 quality, then carve then 0 quality tools and no experience and STILL end up with devastating impact. Any metal or stone weapon with similar quality ends up poor damages and dismal balance and suitedness.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45