Bone Carving (promise this isn't a troll) 01/01/2013 07:14 PM CST
In the carving book, bleaching looks like this.

-= Chapter 6, Page 1: Instructions for crafting bone bleaching =-

Bone bleaching is a craftable item in the Engineering society under the Carving crafting discipline. This is considered to be an extremely easy piece to make, though knowledge of the Basic Bone Collecting technique will be beneficial to the crafter.

This item is listed as a "a bleached bone stack" ingredient type and is created using a bonesaw. A crafter may also find it helpful to have a rasp, a riffler set and a jar of polish on hand.

A list of ingredients is provided:

(1) raw bone material

This suggests this action is done with a bonesaw and carving tools, but it looks like it is actually achieved using a hide scraper and bleaching solution. Any chance this can be modified in the book?

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: Bone Carving 01/01/2013 07:22 PM CST
Weird result:

You get an iron bonesaw from inside your backpack.

carve shiv with bonesaw
>>>Back and forth you saw an iron bonesaw across the shiv's bones. Cleaning dust from the shiv reveals absolutely no flaws with the recent sawing.
Roundtime: 17 sec.

carve shiv with bonesaw

You cannot figure out how to do that. Perhaps finding suitable ingredients and studying some instructions would help.

anal shiv
You thoroughly analyze the shiv, revealing some of its secrets.
This appears to be a type of finished bone edged weapon that is masterfully-crafted.
The shiv is a basic piece to make.
It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

The very last step, which completed the shiv, didn't message me that it was completed. Is that normal for crafting? It seems odd to me.
Re: Bone Carving 01/01/2013 07:27 PM CST
Talia says, "Skill with the Bone ContaineR Design technique will reduce the complexity of crafting bone containers."

Not the technique I was meaning to ask about, but I think that "R" should be an "r".

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: Bone Carving 01/01/2013 07:37 PM CST
Not really a bug nor a bone-carving specific, but here is a fun result of Covert Restore

You recall the crafting techniques you have learned.

You have chosen Weaponsmithing as your Career. You have chosen Blacksmithing as your Hobby.

In the skilled trade of Forging, you can learn -16 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Blacksmithing Discipline, 0 techniques from the Armorsmithing Discipline and 0 techniques from the Weaponsmithing Discipline.

In the skilled trade of Engineering, you can learn 5 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Tinkering Discipline, 0 techniques from the Shaping Discipline and 0 techniques from the Carving Discipline.

In the skilled trade of Outfitting, you can learn 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Jewelry making Discipline, 0 techniques from the Tailoring Discipline and 0 techniques from the Artistry Discipline.

In the skilled trade of Alchemy, you can learn 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Remedies Discipline, 0 techniques from the Poisons Discipline and 0 techniques from the Cooking Discipline.

In the skilled trade of Enchanting, you can learn 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Runecrafting Discipline, 0 techniques from the Binding Discipline and 0 techniques from the Invoking Discipline.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: Bone Carving 01/01/2013 08:00 PM CST
Rat bones are 2 scrapes, (3 pieces) and have a density of 3.

Goblin bones are 3 scrapes (4 pieces) and have a density of 2.75.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: Bone Carving [bug] 01/01/2013 08:05 PM CST
When applying polish to a bone-crafted item:

You evenly apply the polish to the surface of an unfinished goblin-bone hand sword. The stone quickly buffs back to its natural state.
Roundtime: 15 sec.
Re: Bone Carving [bug] 01/01/2013 08:10 PM CST
Apparently when I finish an item, it puts it in my inventory as a worn item, which I cannot remove:

> inv
You are wearing an unfinished goblin-bone hand sword, an unfinished goblin-bone shiv, some coarse shalswar-hide leathers, a crocodile-skin buckler, a copperwood longbow, a dark lacquered parry stick, a sturdy backpack, a silver kyanite gwethdesuan, a silver jadeite gwethdesuan, a cambrinth pick, a pair of brown leather boots with the toes reinforced with polished steel, some steel-toed footwraps reinforced with iron bands, a rugged leather thigh quiver, some deep ebony bear-hide pants, a lockpick ring, a simple belt knife, a twisted cambrinth armband, some hunter-green suspenders with bronze belt clips, a brass badge etched with a laurel and lion's claw crest, a duffel bag, a full-sleeved ivory linen shirt, a blue gem pouch, a lumpy bundle, and an origami-paper envelope.

[Type INVENTORY HELP for more options]
> rem swo
You aren't wearing that.
> tap swo
You tap an unfinished goblin-bone hand sword that you are wearing.
> app swo
The hand sword is fairly hard.
You estimate that the hand sword weighs around 20 stones.
You are certain that the hand sword is worth exactly 73 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

I have both the hand sword and the shiv in my backpack, and they function normally, but I just noticed that these things were also on my person.

GENT
Re: Bone Carving [bug] 01/01/2013 08:18 PM CST
This one gets even better:

I can use the worn, unfinished items in my inventory to infinitely recreate the same item. I STUDY the corresponding pattern from the crafting book, and then CARVE the item with the bonesaw, and it will produce a replica of the original crafted item on the ground. I'll post a log, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. The first analyze here is me analyzing the sword that is in my inventory. Notice the quality. Then the final analyze if of one of the replica swords I created. Again, notice the quality.

GENT

R> anal other swo
You thoroughly analyze the hand sword, revealing some of its secrets.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished bone edged weapon.
The sword appears free of defects that would impede further carving.
From the progress so far, it looks like the sword is riddled with mistakes and practically worthless.
The sword is a basic piece to make.
R> stow r

You put your sword in your backpack.
> get bones

> carve swo with bones
You cannot figure out how to do that. Perhaps finding suitable ingredients and studying some instructions would help.
> carve swo with bonesaw
> get book

You get a book of master carving instructions from inside your backpack.
> stud book

You scan the hand sword instructions with a glance and completely understand all facets of the design.
You now feel ready to begin the crafting process.
R> stow l

You put your book in your backpack.
> carve swo with bonesaw

You saw an iron bonesaw across several of the bones in your sword. Cleaning dust from the sword reveals absolutely no flaws with the recent sawing.
Roundtime: 15 sec.

R> inv
You are holding an iron bonesaw in your right hand.
You are wearing an unfinished goblin-bone hand sword, an unfinished goblin-bone shiv, some coarse shalswar-hide leathers, a crocodile-skin buckler, a copperwood longbow, a dark lacquered parry stick, a sturdy backpack, a silver kyanite gwethdesuan, a silver jadeite gwethdesuan, a cambrinth pick, a pair of brown leather boots with the toes reinforced with polished steel, some steel-toed footwraps reinforced with iron bands, a rugged leather thigh quiver, some deep ebony bear-hide pants, a lockpick ring, a simple belt knife, a twisted cambrinth armband, some hunter-green suspenders with bronze belt clips, a brass badge etched with a laurel and lion's claw crest, a duffel bag, a full-sleeved ivory linen shirt, a blue gem pouch, a lumpy bundle, and an origami-paper envelope.

[Type INVENTORY HELP for more options]
R> carve swo with bonesaw
> get swo

You pick up a goblin-bone hand sword.

> app swo

A goblin-bone hand sword is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
A goblin-bone hand sword trains the small edged skill.

You are certain that it could do:
moderate (7/25) puncture damage
fair (5/25) slice damage
low (3/25) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The hand sword is dismally designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the sword is very well (9/13) balanced and is inadequately (4/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the hand sword is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

You think it is likely that the hand sword weighs about 10 stones.
You are certain that the hand sword is worth exactly 1187 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
R> stat

Active Players: 14
Type STATUS FULL to get a list of active players.
Active Mentors: 0

Staff on duty:

R> stow l

You put your sword in your backpack.

> get book

You get a book of master carving instructions from inside your backpack.
> stud book

You scan the hand sword instructions with a glance and completely understand all facets of the design.
You now feel ready to begin the crafting process.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R> stow l

You put your book in your backpack.
> carve sword with bones

You saw an iron bonesaw across several of the bones in your sword. Cleaning dust from the sword reveals absolutely no flaws with the recent sawing.
Roundtime: 11 sec.

R> carve sword with bones
> carve my swo with bones
> get swo

You pick up a goblin-bone hand sword.

> anal swo
You thoroughly analyze the hand sword, revealing some of its secrets.
This appears to be a type of finished bone edged weapon that is masterfully-crafted.
The sword is a basic piece to make.
It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
Re: Bone Carving [bug] 01/01/2013 08:19 PM CST
Wanna post some appraisals of a few of those bone weapons?
Re: Bone Carving [bug] 01/01/2013 08:22 PM CST
Someone else found a bug causing you to lose any excess material that goes into a piece. I can confirm this. My 4-piece short pole had used 2 stacks of rat bones (6 pieces) and no residual material was created.

I also noticed that, upon creating the 4-piece pole out of 3 stones/piece rat bones, the pole was 14 stones. I'm working with goblin bones now, more to come.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: Bone Carving [bug] 01/01/2013 08:32 PM CST
Finished bone items can still be counted.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

--GRIM45
Re: Bone Carving [bug] 01/01/2013 08:41 PM CST
There is a problem with this particular step in bone carving, where you can't seem to do the corrective action it suggests. Here it asks you to CUT, but you cannot use CUT with the bonesaw (although the analyze on the bonesaw suggests otherwise). Log below:

GENT

R> carve blud with bones

You saw an iron bonesaw across several of the bones in your bludgeon. The work proceeds as planned without any mistakes whatsoever.

When you have finished working, you balance the bludgeon and determine they are uneven.
Roundtime: 11 sec.

R> anal blud
You analyze every minute detail of the bludgeon and smile knowingly to yourself.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished bone blunt weapon.
The bludgeon requires additional cuts with a bonesaw in order to fit together properly.
From the progress so far, it looks like the bludgeon is of outstanding quality.
The bludgeon is a very easy piece to make.
You estimate that it is close to done.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

> cut blud with bonesa
You can't cut that.
> 'hmm
You say, "Hmm."

> anal bones
You analyze every aspect of the iron bonesaw and nod as your understanding grows.
This appears to be a crafting tool and it is practically in mint condition.
Used to cut bone stacks into smaller pieces and carve bones into crafted goods.
The workmanship is well-crafted.
Assessing the bonesaw's durability, you determine it is very delicate and easily damaged.
About 8 volume of metal was used in this item's construction.
This tool appears to be extremely ineffective at increasing crafting speed.
Roundtime: 9 sec.
R>
Wryhk asks, "Try cut?"

R> cut blud
You can't cut that.

> cut blud with bonesa
You can't cut that.

> carve blud with bonesa
Back and forth you saw an iron bonesaw across the bludgeon's bones, ignoring problems with the bones that could be resolved by using the correct tool. A few areas could be improved, but overall the work meets your expectations.
Roundtime: 13 sec.
Re: Bone Carving [typo] 01/01/2013 08:42 PM CST
Third person:

Wryhk saws an iron bonesaw across several of the bones in his shiv

No period at the end of 'shiv'

GENT
Re: Bone Carving [typo] - another 01/01/2013 08:43 PM CST
Third person:

Back and forth Wryhk saws an iron bonesaw across his shiv's bones

No period at the end of 'bones'

GENT
Re: Bone Carving [typo] - another 01/01/2013 08:53 PM CST
Hey Gent, if you're still having trouble with things getting "worn" try typing invfix and see if that helps. It used to work years ago when things got wonky.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Bone Carving [bug] 01/01/2013 08:58 PM CST
Also, you cannot see the weapons on other people, only when you type INV (and invfix does not fix anything)!

GENT

> l keson
You are Oakbrother Keson, a Kaldar.
You have silver eyes. Your auburn hair is long and straight, and is worn tied back. You have copper skin.
You are an adult.
You have a thick bushy mustache that droops heavily on your upper lip and a long shaggy beard.
You are in good shape.

You are holding a book of master carving instructions in your left hand.
You are wearing some coarse shalswar-hide leathers, a crocodile-skin buckler, a copperwood longbow, a dark lacquered parry stick, a sturdy backpack, a silver kyanite gwethdesuan, a silver jadeite gwethdesuan, a cambrinth pick, a pair of brown leather boots with the toes reinforced with polished steel, some steel-toed footwraps reinforced with iron bands, a rugged leather thigh quiver, some deep ebony bear-hide pants, a lockpick ring, a simple belt knife, a twisted cambrinth armband, some hunter-green suspenders with bronze belt clips, a brass badge etched with a laurel and lion's claw crest, a duffel bag, a full-sleeved ivory linen shirt, a blue gem pouch, a lumpy bundle and an origami-paper envelope.
>
Wryhk gets an iron bonesaw from inside his oilcloth rucksack.
> inv
You are holding a book of master carving instructions in your left hand.
You are wearing an unfinished goblin-bone bludgeon, an unfinished goblin-bone hand sword, an unfinished goblin-bone shiv, some coarse shalswar-hide leathers, a crocodile-skin buckler, a copperwood longbow, a dark lacquered parry stick, a sturdy backpack, a silver kyanite gwethdesuan, a silver jadeite gwethdesuan, a cambrinth pick, a pair of brown leather boots with the toes reinforced with polished steel, some steel-toed footwraps reinforced with iron bands, a rugged leather thigh quiver, some deep ebony bear-hide pants, a lockpick ring, a simple belt knife, a twisted cambrinth armband, some hunter-green suspenders with bronze belt clips, a brass badge etched with a laurel and lion's claw crest, a duffel bag, a full-sleeved ivory linen shirt, a blue gem pouch, a lumpy bundle, and an origami-paper envelope.
Re: Bone Carving [bug] 01/01/2013 10:50 PM CST
15 durability bones giving that kind of item durability seems über-buggy.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).