Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/14/2013 07:21 AM CST
Okay I'm just curious what if any will be the point of charisma in the future especailly for rangers. Looking at the magic contest and everything else, it seems like a pointless stat across all bords unless you have charm magic. Whcih we don't. So any info before we respec would be helpful. I've always had pretty high charisma for teaching and some spells but.. now i'm sorta wondering whats the point.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/14/2013 01:03 PM CST
I can easily see charisma being very useful for companions. Both to attract one to come and then to induce it to stay and train. I envision us being able to train our companions to do things (would love it if they could distract our critters) and charisma would be a help in training.

Other than companions, though, I have no clue other than the stated claim of helping us buy things cheaper and improve the length of time before auto decay.

Zinaca and her fully-grown raccoon, Shadow
Re: Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/14/2013 01:15 PM CST
I don't recall charisma being weighted into any calculations for rangers. Companions, pool for beseeches, any. Right now, charisma is my highest stat. I had it to help boost my spirit which powered beseeches. What will power beseeches in the future?

Strength : 53 Reflex : 73
Agility : 73 Charisma : 73
Discipline : 53 Wisdom : 61
Intelligence : 62 Stamina : 53

If charisma is not needed for any ability that a ranger has or will have, I wouldn't mind doing a respec and boosting my mental stats.
Re: Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/14/2013 01:53 PM CST
Well, Rangers do have 2 Debilitation spells that are Spirit contests. Charisma will certainly help with those.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/14/2013 06:13 PM CST
I can power all the beseeches without issue with 30 Charisma. 73 is WAY overdoing it.

If you have some other reason for training it, go for it. But if beseeches is the only reason, you can massively scale back and be okay.

GENT
Re: Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/14/2013 06:58 PM CST
>>USAF-Sparky

I'd take it to 40 maybe just to make sure you can be competitive in the spell vs. spirit contests and whatever future plans they might have, but charisma doesn't need to be your highest stat. I'd respec and pump up your mentals, especially discipline. Rangers can be incredibly versatile as melee fighters given their skillset but stealth is still their bread and butter.
Re: Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/14/2013 09:08 PM CST
Hi there!

Charisma is used through a lot of things in DR that you may not really notice. For example the more you have the longer decay time you have when you die. The more you have (up to a point) the better you learn from someone teaching you a class and the better you teach a class.

Is 73 too much? Not sure, but I can easily see 50 still being a great goal. And if I remember right certain spells have charisma as the primary skill though none in the ranger spells. Oh and lets not forget the better prices at the shops. Could be a good reason to get it higher with the new crafting stuff involved.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/14/2013 09:13 PM CST
Charisma was used highly in the spirit contests. It's still going to figure into spirit health as a whole, but no longer figures in defense for stat contests (though does apply in the offensive portion for some), if my reading is correct.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Magic_3.0

And since rangers don't have (to my crappy knowledge, I haven't followed your spell books) any charm or fear based stat contests, charisma is probably going to be a lesser stat for rangers.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/14/2013 09:53 PM CST
We currently only have magic v. and spirit v. spells:

GRIZ: spirit v fortitude
COTW: spirit v reflexes

Swarm: magic v fortitude
Devolve: magic v fortitude
HB: magic v reflexes
BB: magic v reflexes

Spirit v. is Wisdom, Charisma, Intelligence
Magic v. is Wisdom, Intelligence, Discipline

Unless something changes, Wisdom will be the most useful for spellcasting Rangers. (And in the future; I suspect we won't be getting many spells that aren't magic/spirit v. contests).

GENT
Re: Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/15/2013 11:25 AM CST
I just asked cuz currently i have 80ish Charisma. Don't see a point being crazy about it unless it will be a bigger part of Rangers. So many changes happened in the time between i first started playing and why i thought charisma would be important to rangers. Two spells is an okay reason but it was said a long time ago that it would be related to companions,b ut i'm sorta giving up on companionos forever.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Future of Charisma and Rangers 01/16/2013 12:55 PM CST
In general I feel charisma is a weak attribute. I've posted it elsewhere I realize, but it already was 'weak' (not pointless, im not saying that) attribute in 2.0 and I feel in general is weaker in 3.0, because frankly it appears less in magic calculations, notably in defense. I question it as a paladin, one of the three guilds 'known' for charisma (traders, bards, paladins). If I was a Ranger I would honestly consider it pointless. Sadly the only things that ever make it redeemable are far to guild specific, where as strength and agility have clear and awesome uses regardless of your guild. The idea of spirit decay (only applies if you die) or spirit health (only applies in PvP or the rare invasion monster) are very fringe situations.

Be nice if verbs like FEINT, CIRCLE and certain other verbs were fueled or influenced by Charisma