Brigandine armor 01/09/2013 11:20 AM CST

I'm seeing this new armor class and I see that it's in the ranger SOI. I don't expect this will be "better leather" but i'm curious where the stealth hindrance will be and what kind of protection sewn plate armor will give. I may be willing to backtrain LP if it meant i'd not be a one shot wonder in invasions.
Re: Brigandine armor 01/09/2013 09:09 PM CST
Light Plate is being renamed into Brigandine in 3.0. Its not a new type of armor, just the armor you know renamed.
Re: Brigandine armor 01/10/2013 01:16 AM CST
SOI only impacts the bonusing of skills. You aren't better with Brig because it is in your SOI, it just means you get the full bonus when your Brig is bonused somehow.

Rangers have no way of bonusing non-leather armor, so you may not want to base your decision solely on the SOI thing.

GENT
Re: Brigandine armor 01/10/2013 12:40 PM CST
I'm confused. What's the point of it being in the SoI if there's no bonus to the skill and there's no way to boost it with spells or abilities?
Re: Brigandine armor 01/10/2013 12:41 PM CST
I've been thinking about that for Thieves for a few weeks now, so I'd love to know just overall the answer to that question.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Brigandine armor 01/10/2013 12:43 PM CST
>>I'm confused. What's the point of it being in the SoI if there's no bonus to the skill and there's no way to boost it with spells or abilities?

There's no way to boost it with guild spells and guild abilities but if you come across a device that does it or if another guild casts a spell on you that does it you'll get the full possible bonus.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Brigandine armor 01/10/2013 12:44 PM CST
> there's no way to boost it with spells or abilities?

Just because there's no ranger spell doesn't mean you can't do it. If you get your hands on a scroll of YS, for example, you would get your SOI bonus when casting it on brigandine.
Re: Brigandine armor 01/10/2013 12:45 PM CST
> if another guild casts a spell on you that does it you'll get the full possible bonus.

Bonus size is determined by the caster, not the target.
Re: Brigandine armor 01/10/2013 12:57 PM CST
>>"Just because there's no ranger spell doesn't mean you can't do it. If you get your hands on a scroll of YS, for example, you would get your SOI bonus when casting it on brigandine."

That's a good point I guess.

With Rangers being a stealth focused guild, how is brigantine being justified as being in their SoI? Not saying it shouldn't be. I'm more just curious to hear the thought process.
Re: Brigandine armor 01/10/2013 01:01 PM CST
>>Bonus size is determined by the caster, not the target.

If you cast another guilds spell, then. ;)

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Brigandine armor 01/10/2013 02:20 PM CST
>>how is brigantine being justified as being in their SoI?

My guess would be aesthetics.

If you look at all the revised SoI lists, it appears that the armor secondary guilds get 4 armor skills in their SoI. Remove Plate and Shield and you are left with Defending, Light Armor, Chain and Brig.

As Brig only appears in one other SoI (Paladin) you are left searching for a lonely Paladin to cast some spell on you to make full use of your Brig SoI bonus. In short, it really isn't worth it.

GENT
Re: Brigandine armor 01/10/2013 02:21 PM CST
Oops, I lied. Traders now also have Brig in their SoI. Maybe you can pay them to give you an armor boost?

GENT