New Spell - Devolve 01/06/2013 08:50 PM CST
Hiya folks,

So I wrote up a new spell for Rangers to fill the lower end of the range for debilitation. It's called Devolve (DE), costs two spell slots, and falls into the 'Basic' range (a bit on the higher side of basic). It is a single target debuff that affects the top two stats of the target. Because it is nifty at figuring out which stats to affect it tends to be weaker than other stat debuff spells. This will stick around Test for a few days before wandering over to Plat.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/06/2013 09:06 PM CST
Haha that's awesome! What does it do in the case of an even spread across all stats?

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
[typo] Devolve 01/06/2013 09:36 PM CST
Weird messaging on a miss:

You gesture at a misshapen germish'din.
You contribute your harnessed streams to increase the pattern's potential.
You focus on the misshapen germish'din's life essence as you swipe your hand downward in its direction!
A bluish green aura leaches out from the misshapen germish'din, which pulses brightly for a moment before fading away.
fading away.
fading away.

Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: [typo] Devolve 01/06/2013 09:42 PM CST
>>
A bluish green aura leaches out from the misshapen germish'din, which pulses brightly for a moment before fading away.
fading away.
fading away.
<<

That's not a typo, that's the sweetest echo effect I've ever seen lol

~ Leilond
Re: [typo] Devolve 01/06/2013 10:26 PM CST
Stop trying to be poetic.
poetic..
poetic.
Re: [typo] Devolve 01/06/2013 10:37 PM CST
Heh, oops. Fixed (even though it was an awesome echo effect).

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: [typo] Devolve 01/07/2013 12:01 AM CST
Also, this spell needs to be tested on other characters! Victims?

GENT
Re: another [typo] Devolve 01/07/2013 02:45 AM CST
Kalika says, "Each advisary you face will have strengths and weaknesses. The Devolve spell is designed to seek out your foe's strengths specifically. It is a spell to enfeeble the hearty, to confound the wise, or to hinder the quick. And while this spell is more versitile than similar magical effects, it suffers a loss of its potency from the broad range that it affects. Before you can learn this spell, you must know one of Compost or Devitalize. It will also cost two spell slots. If you are interested in learning it, I will gladly teach it to you."

Should be adversary and versatile.

Also, what is the spell contest for this one?

GENT
Re: another [typo] Devolve 01/07/2013 11:01 AM CST
Fixed! And the contest is Magic vs Fortitute.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/07/2013 10:33 PM CST
Thanks for the new spells. Will we be getting a spell that works with armor?

Pathyn
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 12:34 AM CST
Welcome!

As far as any more new spells, probably not for X3. Rangers needed a few to round out teachable ranges so I made a mad dash to get those two new ones out. The need right now is to continue with smoothing out X3 stuff.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Grizzly Claws 01/08/2013 02:12 AM CST
Can't find this anywhere: what is the spell contest for GRIZ? Magic v Fortitude? Reflex?

Promise this is my last question. Promise*.

GENT
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 03:10 AM CST
Before you move away from Devolve completely, can the spell give some kind of messaging as to what stats it affected and maybe consider messaging as to how much they were decreased(even roughly would be nice). It would really, really, really make the spell useful. I like the spell but its hard to use when you don't know what effect your causing or how effective your being.
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 10:43 AM CST
Some indication of the spell wearing off would be great.

In my limited testing, it seems to be a % debuff. I have to test more completely to get a better sense of how strong a debuff it could be.

I noticed that the spell duration was extremely short (with over 200 stat points on my end, and less than 30 on the receiving end). I don't know if this is a general, across-the-board cap on debil spells, or unique to this one?

Thanks
GENT
Re: Grizzly Claws 01/08/2013 11:16 AM CST
>>what is the spell contest for GRIZ?

Spirit vs Fortitude

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 11:26 AM CST
>>can the spell give some kind of messaging as to what stats it affected and maybe consider messaging as to how much they were decreased

Well, I had left it unknown as part of the down side to always affecting the target's top two stats, but I'll give it some thought. Adding in a scale of how much it affects the target is something I don't mind doing.

>>Some indication of the spell wearing off would be great.

Hmm, that should already be happening. I'll take a look.

>>I noticed that the spell duration was extremely short

It should be the same duration as other debilitation spells, as it uses the core mechs for that part.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 04:12 PM CST
I realize that may have been your intention but it really limits how useful the spell is. Take for example my foray in warcats/orc scouts near Rossmans. I have issues with the spells cast by the warcats. I tried casting devolve at them but all I know is that the spell was successful. I didn't know how successful or if it hit their mentals(helping me against their spells), or one of their physicals(helping me attack them/defend). I couldn't make use of what the spell did because I didn't know what or how well it did.

The fact that we don't know creatures and other players stats(which change over time) coupled with the fact that it always hits the top two stats should be sufficient in limiting the spell.
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 04:24 PM CST
>>I couldn't make use of what the spell did because I didn't know what or how well it did.

Can't you appraise a critter to assess if their physical stats changed? And, if they didn't change, reach the conclusion that their mental stats changed?

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 04:41 PM CST
Hmm yeah, I'm not really sure I want people to know what my highest stats are in a fight :P

~ Leilond
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 04:56 PM CST
Perhaps the messaging could be similar to what you see in appraising the creatures, but be included in the spell messaging?

You gesture at a musk hog.
<Spell showy text goes here.>
A musk hog appears slightly less agile and slightly less quick to react.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 06:22 PM CST
>Hmm yeah, I'm not really sure I want people to know what my highest stats are in a fight :P

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsOp3akxj5w

Always reminds me of that clip. It's a silly argument at best, and that's being nice.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 07:14 PM CST
>Perhaps the messaging could be similar to what you see in appraising the creatures, but be included in the spell messaging?

>You gesture at a musk hog.
><Spell showy text goes here.>
>A musk hog appears slightly less agile and slightly less quick to react.

It'd also be cool if mental stats could be added into appraisal, though at a much higher difficulty than the physicals.

You are certain that the spotted bobcat is healthy.
You are certain that it is about as agile as you are.
You are certain that it is about as quick to react as you are.
You are certain that it is about as strong as you are.
You think it's possible that it has all the cunning of a doorstop.
You think it's likely that it is wise beyond your years.
You wonder if it has the patience of a chopping block.
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 09:04 PM CST
"The {critter} appears less able to perform differential equations!
The {critter} seems less insightful!"

::eyeroll::

In PvE this is an easy debuff to work out, as Tev pointed out. In PvP it's a bit more of a wild card, but a no less useful one.
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 09:30 PM CST
>>Can't you appraise a critter to assess if their physical stats changed? And, if they didn't change, reach the conclusion that their mental stats changed?

This still leaves you guessing as to which of the four mental(non physical) stats you hit. And which ones affected could make a world of difference in how you proceed.

>> Hmm yeah, I'm not really sure I want people to know what my highest stats are in a fight :P

How does a person knowing what your top 2 stats are matter? Mine are strength and agility. Does that help you any, can you figure out how high the rest of mine are from that? How about how high those stats are? That is a silly argument with all the related downsides built on a tower of 'ifs'.(jokingly said or no)

Ideally I'd like to see it like so.

You focus on the musk hog's life essence as you swipe your hand downward in its direction! A bluish green aura leaches out from the musk hog, which solidifies into a double helix composed of the two individual hues. The helices spin rapidly as it shrinks into the musk hog's chest. The musk hog's ability to react and charm has lessened somewhat.
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/08/2013 09:53 PM CST
>>How does a person knowing what your top 2 stats are matter?

It's more of just a privacy thing.

~ Leilond
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/09/2013 10:12 AM CST
>It's more of just a privacy thing.

Why, people know you're LT prime, you're a Bard, you have over 1000 ranks in specific skills. It's no different than saying my LT is XXXX.99
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/09/2013 10:23 AM CST
It comes more into play with stats as there are only 8 stats in total, and a fewer number still of those which may be specifically targeted in Vs Contests.

Just my own personal opinion, but I understand that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few :P

~ Leilond
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/09/2013 10:29 AM CST
I find the spell reporting what it's debuffing to be a little odd thematically, but it's certainly not wholly unreasonable. But learning what someone's top two stats are is potentially a useful piece of information in PvP now that we have such a variety of contests actually in place. If someone fighting Leilond casts Devolve, and finds the top two stats are Agility and Wisdom, you know not to use spells that contest those two for the remainder of the fight. It's a minor thing, sure, but it does seem to be a bit of information that no other spell has a way of sussing out.
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/09/2013 10:50 AM CST
>> If someone fighting Leilond casts Devolve, and finds the top two stats are Agility and Wisdom, you know not to use spells that contest those two for the remainder of the fight. It's a minor thing, sure, but it does seem to be a bit of information that no other spell has a way of sussing out.

You actually don't know that!

Let's say Leilond's top 2 stats are Wisdom and Agility. The next two stats behind those are Reflex and Stamina
I cast devolve on him and nerf his wisdom and agility.

How do I know that my spell didn't lower his wisdom and agility below his reflex and stamina and therefore, I should attack those two stats?

If I wasn't going to devolve him, and now I know this piece of information, it might mean I should attack Reflex and Stamina first, but just a few times of testing the wrong skill, I'm probably not going to cast the same spell on him again... I'll try something new.

I think you should be able to appraise players like critters, and I agree with the other person that all the stats should be available.

Is it realistic? Not really, you can't tell some of that stuff by looking at people, but for playability it makes sense.

It would also open up some neat cantrips, and devices... glasses that make you look smarter than your, a shirt that made you look stronger. Disguises could be implemented to open up a whole new world of PvP and Artistry. Sorry, got carried away.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/09/2013 10:51 AM CST
>I find the spell reporting what it's debuffing to be a little odd thematically, but it's certainly not wholly unreasonable. But learning what someone's top two stats are is potentially a useful piece of information in PvP now that we have such a variety of contests actually in place. If someone fighting Leilond casts Devolve, and finds the top two stats are Agility and Wisdom, you know not to use spells that contest those two for the remainder of the fight. It's a minor thing, sure, but it does seem to be a bit of information that no other spell has a way of sussing out.

So then based on that, which would you target? That's not telling you if his Agility and Wisdom are at 100 while the rest are at 99. Int and Disc could be 40 or 99, you're not gleaning numbers.
Re: New Spell - Devolve [Messaging] 01/09/2013 11:19 AM CST
<<You focus on the {target}'s life essence as you swipe your hand downward in its direction!>>

Hey wait. How do you focus on something that's altogether imperceptible to you? That message could probably stand a slight revision, as it only makes sense if the caster is an Empath (whose Empathy is intact). And it's not even an Empath spell.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: New Spell - Devolve [Messaging] 01/09/2013 11:25 AM CST
>>Hey wait. How do you focus on something that's altogether imperceptible to you?

Rangers use life magic, this spell lets us see it in others and throw the beat down.

Besides, I love picturing my character doing a pseudo air guitar at the person when casting this spell.

Re: New Spell - Devolve [Messaging] 01/09/2013 11:32 AM CST
<<Rangers use life magic, this spell lets us see it in others and throw the beat down.>>

Using Life magic has nothing to do with being able to perceive Life Essences. Only Empaths and Necromancers can interact with Life essence, and the latter can only do so indirectly through rituals (they still can't "see" the stuff, so even they wouldn't be able to focus on it).

By all means, keep the arm motions though.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/10/2013 08:35 AM CST
>So then based on that, which would you target? That's not telling you if his Agility and Wisdom are at 100 while the rest are at 99. Int and Disc could be 40 or 99, you're not gleaning numbers.
Good point, I stand corrected. I'm not sure then why reporting what is debuffed at all is useful.
Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/10/2013 10:45 AM CST
>>Good point, I stand corrected. I'm not sure then why reporting what is debuffed at all is useful.

It's funny, as everyone (including me) was making the point that it's not a big deal to show what it debuffs, we were also making the same point that it's not very useful. They go hand in hand, I guess.

I could see something like this:

Diggan casts a Charm vs. Reflex spell at Leilond - it fails
Diggan casts devolve @ Leilond - succeeds and sees that it effects Reflex and Agility
I could then cast the first spell again hoping it works now, and I know a better order for later
or
It doesn't work and I know that I better do something completely different next time if I don't want him to serve me my lunch.

Besides, it's fun to know what stuff does. If you sling a spell at someone at they just glow but you don't know why, it's kind of - eh - boring.

Re: New Spell - Devolve 01/13/2013 09:59 PM CST
>>It's funny, as everyone (including me) was making the point that it's not a big deal to show what it debuffs, we were also making the same point that it's not very useful. They go hand in hand, I guess.

Not very useful to know in a PvP setting but very useful to know in PvE. Any word on whether the spell is being modified or not? With the changeover right around the corner I'd thought I'd ask.