Prev_page Previous 1
Outdoorsmanship 12/30/2012 04:28 PM CST
This skill implies that it should cover those things necessary to survive and move in the wilderness. Can we get Outdoorsmanship to include scouting in addition to forage and animal lore?

Of if not in Outdoorsmanship, can you put scouting in Athleticism (second choice of skill group).

It's interesting that combining the skills in game haven't really shortened the list of skills much.

Zinaca and her fully-grown raccoon, Shadow
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/30/2012 04:48 PM CST
Isn't Scouting supposed to be the Ranger guild skill?

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/30/2012 04:58 PM CST
>scouting

This is a guild only skill. That's why it wasn't combined. Supposedly at some point in time we're supposed to get perks with this skill. We should start a thread with suggestions.

I would like to see us be able to >track people that we successfully >hunt. I could see this evolving from maybe only being able to track people 1 room away with 50 ranks of scouting to the full 6 rooms or whatever it is with 500 ranks.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/30/2012 04:59 PM CST
Not going to happen. Scouting is the Guild only skill for Rangers.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/30/2012 05:06 PM CST
Heh, I just posted this exact sentiment in the 2.0 boards. Great minds?

But seriously, I'm all for disbanding Scouting and starting fresh.

GENT
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/30/2012 06:20 PM CST
Scouting's not bad, the extra rooms for hunt are a nice perk, though underwhelming by itself. It could definitely use some expansion, I'm not even sure if Ranger trails are worth mentioning.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/30/2012 06:28 PM CST
About scouting being the guild only skill and suggestions to drop it and get a new one. I agree, I like using trails and would love some expansion of it which is promised by Sithix after companions whenever he does that, but would love another guild only skill other than scouting.

Thanks for the input though--now I won't get my hopes up.

Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/30/2012 07:32 PM CST
>>The extra rooms for hunt are a nice perk,

I don't think it has anything to do with scouting does it? Isn't that just a Ranger Perk?

Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/30/2012 07:33 PM CST
>It's interesting that combining the skills in game haven't really shortened the list of skills much.

It was not a combine to 'shorten' skill lists. It was a rewrite, combine, and expansion, to accomodate different skill pathings because DR needed to grow in different directions and the number of skills is hard-capped at roughly how many we have now, so they could not create new skills without doing away with old ones.

>which is promised by Sithix

Is he even on staff any more? I haven't seen him post in a long time, and the GMs have been pretty up front about 'no, I am no bound to whatever promises were made by people before me'.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/30/2012 10:45 PM CST
speaking of scouting, i'd like to see a better way to train it for very young rangers that don't have 55 scouting to run the easiest trails yet.

Kitten and scarecrow aren't getting it beyond 3/34 in 3.0.

as for learning it from "hunt", the way things gen platside is pretty much only in the room your character is in, so "hunting" isn't teaching scouting either.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/31/2012 12:00 AM CST
You can use HUNT on things like the scarecrow, kitten, begger, etc for the first 40 ranks. I believe scout awareness also works Scouting a little bit, too.

GENT
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/31/2012 03:06 AM CST
>>I don't think it has anything to do with scouting does it? Isn't that just a Ranger Perk?

It's been a long time, but I believe scouting was the justification for it. The logic was that you're using your scouting skills to boost the range, which is why Rangers learn a trickle of scouting when using HUNT.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/31/2012 05:05 PM CST
My low level ranger was finding no difficulty training scouting through the use of Hunt verb in rats in 2.0; I will do a test of this as well as fighting some rats in 3.0 when I am able to.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/31/2012 08:22 PM CST
Sithix is alive, just busy with RL and probably some 3.0 stuff. GMs routinely don't comment on absences and such. But yeah he is alive and looking forward to coding for rangers. This doesn't preclude that he might resign from his position--that I don't know. Don't ask me how I know, I would have to kill you.

Zinaca and her fully-grown raccoon, Shadow who watches as Zinaca covers all her bases
Re: Outdoorsmanship 12/31/2012 08:43 PM CST
>Hunt verb in rats in 2.0

I had no problems what so ever until about 400 ranks, then you hit a wall.

Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/01/2013 12:48 AM CST
Yes, moving skills well in rats in 3.0 including hunt (of course I read the forums, and have trained things prior, I'm not sure if your generic ohh cool DragonRealms, let me try to this out, oh Rangers look cool, why what is Scouting, how do I train Scouting newcomer is going to understand how to train it).

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/01/2013 09:34 PM CST
What does scouting truly bring to the table for Rangers other than a requirement for circle? What does scounting do to make us different? Trails? Are they an advantage of any type?

Arctuniol
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/01/2013 09:42 PM CST
Revert scouting to old tracking when you could insta chase someone. So so incredibly useful.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/01/2013 09:46 PM CST
Just an FYI, I am not trying to mock. I am trying to understand. Too many times in our skilset, we have had supposed advantages that have been removed or nerfed because of outrage of other guilds. Yet when we have we get told to buck it up. I guess, I am curious as to what the point of having scouting itself is. I just haven't had any reason overall for it to be usefull, not since the change from old tracking. I just think overall there has been too many bad juju for Rangers and in some cases after reading this whole change over is just another round of some bad juju without much direction for what a Ranger is, or what we have that makes us unique.

Arct
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/01/2013 10:16 PM CST
>>What does scouting truly bring to the table for Rangers other than a requirement for circle? What does scounting do to make us different? Trails? Are they an advantage of any type?

Nothing, which is why I keep bringing this up.

If we are trying to fix things with 3.0, then both Backstabbing and Scouting need to seriously be reconsidered. All other guilds have plans (or already have in the case of Traders and Empaths) for guild-defining skills around which robust systems for utilizing and training said skills will be built. This isn't being done for aesthetics, it is necessary to balance the game (see Communes, Bardic Screams, or half a dozen other broken guild abilities that are being fixed).

Backstabbing and Scouting, however, are merely being left alone. Neither warrants its own skill, they are too narrowly defined to be used as a springboard for future development. There is a reason that both skills are woefully underdeveloped.

There is no action that calls/hooks into Scouting that couldn't just be replaced by Outdoormanship. Allow folks to roll their Scouting ranks over to Outdoorsmanship (or keep their ranks if they are higher) and absorb the rest into the Survival pool. Rename the Scouting skill to something that could be used to power beseeches and all other Ranger abilities. It would be the single most important thing for Ranger development in 10+ years.

Same for Backstabbing. You can keep all the ambushes and Thief abilities under one skill, but it desperately needs a new name. Backstabbing is too narrow to justify developing anything other than a stealth attack, and puts Thief development at a stand still. Rename the skill to broaden the scope, just like Stealing -> Thievery, and start development from there.

I realize these actions may not be trivial from a coding perspective (I really have no idea, in fact), but now is the time to make such decisions. It would not only benefit Rangers and Thieves, but would also create parity across guilds, who would then all be held to the same guild skills-fuel-abilities paradigm.

I promise I'll stop ranting about this now. Just hope something can be done to remedy this situation.

Thanks,
Sean/GENT
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/01/2013 10:47 PM CST
I don't think definition is the problem. I think usefullness is. YOu can have a skill defined as narrowly as you want but making it useful with a purpose and a skill to want to be learned outside of for circle is something different. Scounting to me, could be useful and something wanted to be learned if there was a benefit. An area only accesible to scouting proficient guilds. Being able to bypass easily specific barriers, faster travel....ability to over hunt I mean something. Granted my ideas are old and outdated but reality is the skill itself is old and outaded and been on the block to become useful but nothing ever happened, bandaid here or there to make it learnable because it was required but never useful, or wanted to be learned.

Arc
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/01/2013 10:50 PM CST
What about taking a cue from the Bards and having the skill named Natural Lore (or Nature Lore) or if you want to keep it not sounding like a lore skillset skil how about Wilderness Survival. I think you should keep Scouting in whatever you rename it but open it up in terms of what it does. You dont want Outdoorsmanship to do too much. That and you could sit a forage for hours and then suddenly run trails better which I think the GMs might have an issue with. I think with a skill rename you could easily open the door to more possibilities without actually changing the skill yet.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 12:26 AM CST
>>What about taking a cue from the Bards and having the skill named Natural Lore (or Nature Lore) or if you want to keep it not sounding like a lore skillset skil how about Wilderness Survival.

Hmm. I like your idea better. You're right, it would be a Bad Thing to have Outdoorsmanship do too much. I think renaming is the best idea.

It would be nice to have something that encompasses the Nature theme of Rangers: beseeches, companions, trails, etc. I just don't see how any of these systems could be made to scale to 1750 ranks. Like Arc said, it has to do something useful outside of being trained.

GENT
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 02:40 AM CST
You (generic) have to remember the development for guild skills right now is limited to "we're making existing stuff work with 3.0" or "we're adding the skill without actually putting any systems in place".

You have a guild skill that is trainable, though by no means useful, which is better than many guilds. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss it, but I think you folks need to tone down the "woe is me, Rangers are getting nerfed again." It's not helping and it's likely annoying the GMs.

I've been fiddling around on various synonym sites and the only skill name I could come up with that might encompass a decent amount of things for Rangers is "naturalism".

Unfortunately, though the word implies a generic connection to nature, the philosophy that bears that name makes is problematic in Elanthia. Basically it's the philosophy that supernatural/metaphysical things do not affect that natural world, regardless of whether they exist or not. As this is Elanthia, that word might have issues.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 08:30 AM CST
>>You have a guild skill that is trainable, though by no means useful, which is better than many guilds. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss it, but I think you folks need to tone down the "woe is me, Rangers are getting nerfed again." It's not helping and it's likely annoying the GMs.

This from the guy that has a GM basically chained to a desk working on his two favorite things??? Where as Ranger's have been promised trails rewrite, companion rewrite and beseech rewrite for almost a decade?

Get back in your forge and let us rant in own folders, it's the only way to pass the time while running trails or "hunting" for 40 minutes to get a skill that we need to circle but have absolutely no benefit for ranking to maybe 12/34 if you're lucky.

Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 10:43 AM CST
Actually, Caraamon is right, the Thieves were told that we needed to focus our talks in the Thieves 3.0 folder to items that were 3.0 being turned out in nature (why our folder is so DEAD, because they didn't change anything so we have nothing to talk about). I did start a Brainstorming session over in the regular Rangers folder in in General Discussion. I run a Ranger, and I like the guild and I agree with most of what has been said here. However the GMs aren't wanting the discussion here about this. So let's be productive elsewhere.

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 12:07 PM CST
Lets play the fun game called when was your guild overhauled/added to last...

Barbarian- being overhauled/added to as we speak
Bard- I've lost count of how much and often they've been added to lately
Cleric- yep same here as the bards
Empath- overhauled/added to as we speak
Moon Mage- added to recently
Necromancer the whole guild is what 4, 5 years old?
Paladin- 3.0 is making their primary skill set better/more useful
Thief- overhauled just recently and on the docket to move over to the magic system
Trader- being completely overhauled and having magic added
Warrior Mage- added to recently
Ranger- Our bonus was tweaked 3 years ago, new trails were added around the time P5 came out, and thats about it as far a ranger only ability development. I think before that was our beseeches which were what 10+ years ago?

You don't like listening to the woe is me from rangers, then how about we stop having every rangeresque update given out to everyone "for the good of the game".
Sniping
Advanced skinning
Hunting
The double standard with regards to "guild only" development is just mind boggling. Guild exclusivity applies to everyone but us.

But hey we're rangers right? Kick us in the groin and add another millstone around our neck cause that's what were here for.
The only thing missing from this thread is the parade of non-rangers popping in to tell us how to be rangers and or stuff it.

List off the top of my head of things that should be looked at, changed, or added for our guild(no particular order):
*Scouting
*Companions
*traps/snares
*beseeches and spells (not just updated to work in 3.0 but where they are all useful)(Three TM spells that are basically the same; beseech the wind to clean and compost are the same too)
*creature spawn management(not just increase but being able to decrease it as well)
*item foraging management(being able to find items out of season, better quality, not normally found in that area)
*a beseech/spell to make a natural raw material better/worth more (thinking ore/wood/bone/skins, expand HOL for this)
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 12:18 PM CST
>BSWEET2004

Drop the GvG crap. The only thing being said is this discussion belongs somewhere else.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 02:39 PM CST
Definations are useful--allows coders to have a handle on the direction to code--usefulllness is better! Please GMs listen to what these smart folks are saying and do something about this. This isn't complaining, it is suggesting and GMs have a wonderful opportunity to address this now in 3.0.

Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 02:48 PM CST
I like some of the ideas here, but you know--I wonder at the deep resistance to "GvG crap" Comparisons between guilds to balance the game as a whole has a place on the boards or should have. Guild bashing, as in, your guild is trash or sucks, has no place here or should not have a place here.

I haven't seen a post so far that meets the second case. Just saying ya know?

Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 09:32 PM CST
What it comes down to is this: Would you rather wait for a GM who likes rangers and will code good stuff for them, or immediately get a GM who doesn't want to do it and will only do enough to keep the complaining down?

It's the nature of DR. Nothing good comes from GMs coding things they don't care about.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 09:35 PM CST
>I like some of the ideas here, but you know--I wonder at the deep resistance to "GvG crap" Comparisons between guilds to balance the game as a whole has a place on the boards or should have. Guild bashing, as in, your guild is trash or sucks, has no place here or should not have a place here.

Every third post by any particular ranger is going to be 'oh woe is me my guild sucks and has been blah blah blah' predictable. Guild vs. Guild is, simply, pointing to other guilds and going 'THEY GOT WORK WE DESERVE IT TOO!' in this case. Which is exactly what is going on. Or point and screaming 'THIS BELONGS TO RANGERS AND NO ONE ELSE SHOULD EVER HAVE IT!!' despite how stupid it was in a skill based game.

No one is saying rangers are -not- in need of some work. But other guilds are too, and don't have nearly as robust a suite of existing things to work with. Or other guilds don't have fleshed out 'guild skill' systems, which are functional to use, let alone train (cleric are an example here, theurgy didn't exist before, so it has to be initially balanced etc.).

The GMs are not going to magically have time to undertake a whole bloody new system creation, rewrite, whatever. They are volunteers with families and jobs, and making the new core engine, as well as all the attachments they've put on it already, work at least well enough to release some initial form, is taking all their time and energy. And if it's not obvious that that's what's happening, and why that's what's happening, you (collective) need to get off the forums because you (collective) are an idiot, and there's no nice way to say that.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/02/2013 10:23 PM CST
<<The GMs are not going to magically have time to undertake a whole bloody new system creation, rewrite, whatever. They are volunteers with families and jobs, and making the new core engine, as well as all the attachments they've put on it already, work at least well enough to release some initial form, is taking all their time and energy. And if it's not obvious that that's what's happening, and why that's what's happening, you (collective) need to get off the forums because you (collective) are an idiot, and there's no nice way to say that.>>

Simu should consider paying them for working on overdue/needed systems. I respect our volunteers, but the excuse that guilds cant get development because the volunteer group does not want to address it is I feel an issue with the base organization behind game masters and simutronics not wanting to pay someone to do this professionally, or at least someone to work on the stuff that the other GM's dont want to work on.

Before anyone points it out, I'm aware this is the same argument I have brought up in the microtrans thread :)
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/03/2013 12:16 AM CST
Any of you can decide to attempt to become a SIMU GM.

As far as the oh Rangers didn't get an overhaul. You had ALL the Rangers spells out in Test overhauled for the 3.0 magic system (my understanding and I can be wrong on this) is that every spell that exists in 3.0 had to be touched-up, tweaked, to work in 3.0.

Another point of contention I have is my understanding (and again it could be wrong is that Thieves are still NMUs and will still be NMUs in 3.0). Our big overhaul was in Khri and just a point of fact it isn't as redudant in ability as most of the magic systems (I believe it will still be capped out in 3.0 at far below 150th circles, let alone 200th circle).

So yes there are guilds that need to have things done, be developed. Stop being negative, start being constructive, be positive see that there are chances to have things get built up from here. And again, the what the guild needs post 3.0 should go in the regular Ranger folder. These folders are for things dealing with the getting the release of 3.0 to happen.

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/03/2013 12:57 AM CST
I never intended for my ideas to be construed as GvG. I was not trying to be negative or snarky. I realize now that my comments came across as such.

My suggestion that Backstabbing and Scouting be renamed for 3.0 does belong in these folders, as I believe this is the best opportunity for such a discussion (and potential change) to take place. I believe the other posters' remarks about Scouting development thus far evidence the fact that a renaming discussion is salient at this point.

I am not asking for a complete guild overhaul at this point, that obviously makes no sense. I was just hoping to spur a discussion regarding the merits of renaming the two skills in question.

Thanks
GENT
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/03/2013 01:17 AM CST
Heh some of you have proved my point about telling us to stuff it.

With regards to spells, yes ours were tweaked to work in 3.0 like everyone elses. But in the words of one GM <this is less a 'All spells Rangers will ever have' and more a 'conversion of current spells plus a couple really easy to make things'> It got done because it had to not because anyone really cared to do it.

That is the rub; all we ever seem to get are promises about something in the future.

Im very happy about two of the four new spells we did get (stampede and Essence of Yew) because they are new.
I still think we have too many TM spells that basically do the same thing. And compost is worthless(well either compost or the beseech the wind to clean).

As to posting ideas in our section... why in the world would we? We don't have a guild advocate and we've been posting suggestions their for years without success. At least here our chances of a GM reading our suggestions are higher than zero.

People seem to mix up our wanting to see some kind of improvement to our guild with some phantom dissatisfaction of DR 3.0. We are glad 3.0 is happening. Changes are a good thing. Personally I gave up years ago dreaming of guild development, but I'll speak up to protect those rangers who still carry on that dream. No one should tell them to shut up especially when they are in the middle of benefiting or have recently benefited from their guild being worked on. People who don't like it should kindly remove their noses from our little corner of the forums.

Slight tangent: Did Awaken Forest make the change over? I saw it on the list of tentative spells but not listed under the 3.0 spells on elanthipedia.
Re: Awaken Forest 01/03/2013 01:52 AM CST
>>Slight tangent: Did Awaken Forest make the change over? I saw it on the list of tentative spells but not listed under the 3.0 spells on elanthipedia.

I notice that too, but it appears to be working. I'm not too familiar with the spell myself, but I didn't notice anything weird?

My observations:

1. The spell doesn't teach any skills in Test. I'm not sure which skill it would teach, Utility?
2. The room-based cooldown is absurdly high. In Prime it is 4-5 minutes. In test it increases with mana. At 55 mana (my personal cap) it is over 70 minutes long.
3. The spawn duration in Prime is extremely short, but they don't appear to dissipate in Test unless you release the spell.
4. The spawns seems to be pretty weaksauce. In 2.0 my spawn appraises at my level:

You are certain that the slimy spawn is healthy.
You are certain that it is somewhat less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is rather less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is not quite as strong as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with no weapon, you are certain that the slimy spawn is a truly skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with no weapon, you are certain that the slimy spawn is a difficult opponent.

In test, however:

You are certain that the slimy spawn is healthy.
You are certain that it is somewhat less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is definitely less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat weaker than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a crocodile-skin buckler and a dark lacquered parry stick, you are certain that the slimy spawn is a less skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with your fists, you are certain that the slimy spawn is a very easy opponent.

I don't expect this spell to be of much use, considering how easily it would die at-level, and given how long the cool down is.

For reference, my Test skills are:
Life Magic: 392 95% clear (0/34) Attunement: 401 24% thoughtful (4/34)
Arcana: 233 69% learning (3/34) Targeted Magic: 126 95% clear (0/34)
Augmentation: 353 52% clear (0/34) Debilitation: 313 73% clear (0/34)
Utility: 294 16% clear (0/34) Warding: 275 12% clear (0/34)
Sorcery: 0 00% clear (0/34)

Probably 20-25 ranks higher in Prime.

GENT
Re: Outdoorsmanship 01/03/2013 02:14 AM CST
>>We don't have a guild advocate

It's true that Rangers are currently without a guild advocate, but there are a few things about that you should keep in mind. Firstly, the position of advocate is not a development position -- a guild's development, or lack of development, is not contingent upon them having an advocate. The guild's development should mainly be overseen by the development team of the guild's primary skillset. In this case, that is the survival development team. It's true that the majority of the guild advocates right now are development GMs, but that's pretty much just a happy coincidence.

The advocate is a customer experience role, closer to the liaison role in the past than the 'guru' one, if any of you remember that. Rather than having a single person responsible for a guild's development, the entire team of the guild's primary skillset is responsible.

Secondly, just because you don't have an advocate, doesn't mean that there's no one around to go to bat for you. I, for whatever it's worth, read pretty much every post that is posted on the forums, and I am far from the only GM who reads so extensively. If there are Ranger bugs, gaps that need filling, or suggestions for development, please do not hesitate to post about them in the appropriate folder. But try to keep a good attitude and a bit of perspective on everything.

Lastly, as always, the best guild advocates are the ones who have a real passion for their guild. So if you think you might be that person, you might consider applying to be a GM. You never know what might happen.

Melete
Advocates Lead
Re: Awaken Forest 01/03/2013 02:45 AM CST
>Targeted Magic: 126 95% clear (0/34)

This is probably your problem. Most (all?) minion spells run off TM for effectiveness.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Awaken Forest 01/03/2013 03:22 AM CST
>This is probably your problem. Most (all?) minion spells run off TM for effectiveness.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case! A boy's gotta dream, eh?

I've never used the spell before I began testing it, so I'm not too bummed. Hopefully I can crank out another 50 or so TM ranks before 3.0 hits and see how it improves.

Thanks
GENT
Prev_page Previous 1