Ranger Magic in 3.0 (bugs as of 12/2/2012) 12/04/2012 05:03 AM CST
I posted this in the DR ranger folders and also the DR 3.0 magic folders. Note Blend and earth meld still have bugs as of 12/2/2012, All the debilitation spells dont train debilitation, Compost as a targeted spell is all screwed up, and also Memory of Nature needs a duration boost from what I can see or it will become a spell that no one ever uses. So incase no one is checking the other folders, here it is one more time.

Ok I ran some tests to give folks an idea on how things work for ranger spells in 3.0. This is what I found out. It is by no means complete but is a good start to get you some idea of what to expect with ranger magic in 3.0. First let me show you my magic skills so you can compare what you get and have an idea what to expect.

Ranger Pfanston - Attunement - 509, Life Magic 502, Augmentation 451, Arcana 397, Debilitation 401, Warding 351, Utility 376. STANCE SPELL set at 100% 100% 100%, I used just basic 100% to get an idea of how things are at normal power. Keep in mind with what I show below, that I cant cast every ranger spell at max power even with these skills. All ranger spells have a difficulty related to them as well where 1 is introductory, 2 basic, 3 Advanced, 4 Esoteric (much harder). The first spell I worked with was INSTINCT, as there was a lot of interest in the replacement for SOP.

Room where test performed I could cast a spell as Prep SPELL #, where # was 55 at most without a failure because there was not enough mana in that room. THe mana in the room would not handle more than that for me. It would vary for most folks in that room as well depending on your Attunement skill. Now I'm lead to believe based on what I see happening that your skill in an area is the basis upon which when cast the spell will teach that skill. For example if you have like me 451 in AUGMENTATION skill, for a difficulty 1 spell that takes up 1 spell slot, you might have to divide that number by 10 (451/10 = 45.1) and cast that spell near 45 to actually learn AUGMENTATION magic. If your skill was say 50 then (50/10= 5) so you would have to cast the spell at 5 power to learn AUGMENTATION magic. This is all speculation though, because as the spell gets harder that number might be lower, which you will see in the data below. It also does not account what your Life Magic is, ATTUNEMENT, ARCANA, etc. Bottom line each individual will have to see where he/she has to cast a spell to learn the magic skill from it. Note Target Magic spells appear to be just like they were before and this skill check does not really apply much to those as you will see below.

SPELL INSTINCT (1 introductory spell - least hard) Min cast 1, Max cast 99 (basic evasion boost). Spell slot 1, Trains Augmentation skill. Note from the 55 cast below I quickly charged cambrinth orb at 20 max per charge till I got the number I needed, then preped and cast the spell to see how far I could go and how quick and what I would learn. Interesting result for this spell as you shall see.
Note: INSTINCT Spell refreshes so its new everytime you cast it.

Prep #Cambrinth chargeSpell Duration (Roisaens)When magic learned
5012None
10014None
15017None
20019None
25022None
30024None
35026None
40027None
45028Augmentation 1/34 Life Magic 1/34 (From nothing to this)
50029Augmentation 2/34 Life magic 2/34 (From nothing to this)
55030Augmentation 3/34 Life magic 2/34 (From nothing to this)
105031Augmentation 5/34 Life Magic 4/34 Arcana 4/34 (once half harness was back to this)
105533Augmentation 7/34 Life Magic 5/34 Arcana 8/34 (as quick as I could 10 prep dont use much harness for me)
106034Augmentation 9/34 Life Magic 7/34 Arcana 12/34
106535Augmentation 12/34 Life Magic 9/34 Arcana 17/34
107037Augmentation 14/34 Life Magic 10/34 Arcana 22/34
107538Augmentation 17/34 Life Magic 12/34 Arcana 27/34
108039Augmentation 20/34 Life Magic 15/34 Arcana 33/34
108539Augmentation 23/34 Life Magic 16/34 Arcana 34/34
108939Augmentation 26/34 LIfe Magic 19/34 Arcana 34/34

As you can see it did take me near to 45 power in the spell to learn augmentation magic, but it was rather quick from 55 total power to 99 total power to raise the magic skills. Augmentation magic is the easiest magic for rangers to learn based on this test.

Next test was Wolf Scent I did not carry it as far as the one above but intended to see the durations and also where it would start to teach me magic as follows:

SPELL WOLF SCENT (2 Basic spell - harder to cast than INSTINCT) Min cast 5, Max cast 89. Spell slots 2, Trains Augmentation skill.
Note: WOLF SCENT Spell refreshes so its new everytime you cast it.

5010None
10013None
15016None
20019None
25021None
30024None
35026None
40027Augmentation 1/34 Life Magic 1/34

So you can see it seems to hold up, the spell is harder to cast than INSTINCT thus teaches just a bit sooner than INSTINCT did.

SPELL HANDS OF LIRISA (1 Introductory spell - easy like INSTINCT) Min cast 1, Max Cast 99. Spell slots 1, Trains Augmentation Skill.
Note: HOL spell refreshes so its new everytime you cast it.

5012None
45027Augmentation 1/34 Life Magic 1/34

SPELL SEE THE WIND (3 advanced spell - 3rd hardest type we have) Min cast 15, Max cast 99, Spell slots 1, Trains Augmentation skill.
Note: STW spell refreshes so its new everytime you cast it.

50-None
15010None
30021Augmentation 1/34 Life Magic 1/34

Note more difficult spell and teaches Augmentation sooner.

SPELL SENSES OF THE TIGER (2 basic spell) Min cast 10, Max Cast 99, Spell slots 2, Trains Augmentation skill.
Note: SOTT refreshes so its new everytime you cast it.

50-None
10010None
40025None
45027Augmentation 1/34 Life Magic 1/34

Note expected this to teach at 40 but did not till 45 also at 80 to 99 power I backfired it a number of times.

SPELL WISDOM OF THE PACK (2 basic spell) Min cast 5, Max Cast 99, Spell slots 2, Trains Augmentation skill.
NOte: WOTP refreshs so its new everytime you cast it.

5010None
40026None
45027Augmentation 2/34 Life Magic 1/34

Note expected this one to teach at 40 but did not till 45.

SPELL CLAWS OF THE COUGAR (3 Advanced SPell) Min cast 15, Max cast 99, Spell slots 2, Trains Augmentation skill.
Note: COTC does not refresh, you have to let the spell drop to cast it again.

15010None
30018None
35021Augmentation 2/34 Life Magic 1/34

Note expected this one to teach at 30 but did not till 35.

SPELL EARTH MELD (2 basic spell) Min cast 20, max cast 99, spell slots 2, Trains Augmentation/Utility skill.
Note: EM refreshes so its new everytime you cast it.

20010None
40021Augmentation 1/34 Utility 1/34 Life Magic 1/34

NOte: this spell has a bug. If you type Power to see how long the spell lasts it pulls you out of hiding and ends the spell but talking does not. So you can never see how long the spell lasts unless you unhide first.

SPELL BLEND (2 basic spell) Min cast 6, Max cast 95, Spell slots 1, Trains Utility skill.
NOte: Because of a bug with blend you can never see how long the spell will last, the moment you power check or concentrate you end the spell and come out even though talking does not end it or bring you out. Unhiding dont work to see the Duration either as it says but you are not hiding. Also if you type harness to see your harness it ends the spell and you come out. Thus it does not refresh.

100??None
350??None
400??None
450??None
500??None
1050??Arcana 2/34 (nothing else)
1060??Arcana 4/34 (nothing else)
1070??Arcana 6/34 (nothing else)

Note: The spell is supposed to train Utility skill and I assume life magic, But from the looks of it no matter how high you cast it, it does not train at present. It does not even appear to train arcana correctly based on how much i was using either.

SPELL ATHLETICISM (2 Basic spell) Min cast 5, Max cast 99, Spell slots 1, Trains Augmentation skill
NOte: The spell refreshes so its new everytime you cast it.

5010None
35024None
40025Augmentation 1/34 Life Magic 1/34

Note: The spell appears to work better the higher you can cast it.

SPELL MEMORY OF NATURE (4 Esoteric spell - hardest to cast) Min cast 30, Max Cast 99, SPell slots 1, Trains Utility skill.
Note: The spell refreshes so each cast is a new cast, and its hard to cast. I backfire with 45 power.

30011Utility 2/34 Life Magic 1/34
40018Utility 2/34 Life Magic 1/34

Note: WIth my skill and the effort it takes to cast this spell I only get 11 DUrtaion or 18 with my best cast. This makes the spell basically useless for entering a town to say work in a forge. The duration needs to be a whole lot longer or it wont make any sense to ever use the spell.

Ok now we have five debilitation spells, Grizzly Claws (Yes its now in test), Haraweps Bonds, Branch Break, Swarm, and Curse of the Wilds. I was unable to get any of these spells to teach any Debilitation skill at all no matter how high or low I cast the spells.

That is till last night when SWARM started to work. Swarm is a nice spell now it hinders the perception of anyone in the room, The swarm also stays for a good time as well and during that time it continues to teach Debilitation. I will consider casting it as a matter of fact to degrade the perception of whatever I hunt (just in case I have to hide).

Haraweps Bonds now has an evern shorter Duration that it currently does which is just not right (has to be a bug, which makes the spell almost completely useless at the moment).

Branch break appears to work as before.

The problem I have with the debilitation spells is since they currently dont teach any magic skill I cant really tell how high you need to cast them to learn the skill. If the casting is too high the spells become useless to us without the use of cambrinth and even then are close to useless if you get hit too often and are having to remove a cambrinth items to charge it all the time. But I was able to web gryphons (young) at fairly low casts as well as higher casts with a cambrinth armband (that holds 32 power). The durations were miniscule though in all cases.

THe target magic spells we have all work as before or appear to. These are Eagles Cry, Devitalize, and stampede. They train with fairly low casts at least so I dont have the same horrible feeling as I do with the debilitation spells currently, though I have not use stampede on much yet other than gryphons.

NOw the Compost spell is rather unique. Its now really two spells but its rather buggy currently. TO use it to compost things on the ground works as before except for one very important fact. To cast it you must type CAST AREA. This will compost things on the ground and you can do so at really low power but I needed to do it at 45 power to learn UTILITY skill from it. THe real problems arrise when you use the second ability of the spell (target ability). The spell is said to be Non-Battle Single-Target but this is not true. Here is what happens:

If I prep compost 30, cast Skaen (he's a moon mage who was there with me in test as we experimented with some spells) whenever I used CAST SKAEN I backfired badly with anything over 15 power. But with 15 or less It would cast at him. This was the result all the time.

>cast skaen
You lift your right hand, forming your fingers into the shape of a vulture's talons.
With the deep, hissing growl of a hungry vulture, a cascade of deep purple streams of energy come into being, forming up to swirl menacingly around Skaen, clawing and grasping at his body!
The streams of energy strike his shadowy arsenic buckler harmlessly.
The streams of energy barely graze his Northwall Trail, Wooded Grove, causing the spot to briefly turn a pale grey!
Roundtime: 1 sec.

Notice the last line before the Roundtime, This portion Northwall Trail, Wooded Grove was the room description where we were at. Intersting to say the least. SO then I tried to target the spell, since that seemed rather useless and buggy. I would prep compost 20, Target gryphon, but did not get the final target message but when I cast it cast the spell at it, no damage ever happened no matter how much power I put into the spell. Now its obvious this part of the spell simply does not work currently. WHen it does I will see what its actually supposed to do.

Last but not least we have our two cyclic spells CHEETAH SWIFTNESS (Min cast 20, max cast 35) and BEAR STRENGTH (Min Cast 30, max cast 45), these two are AUGMENTATION/WARDING spells Both are difficulty 4 spells. Now having the raw channeling Feat, Deep Attunement feat, and dedicated Cambrinth feat GREATLY enhance the use of these spells. But without the feats I was able to use them just fine. To cast these spells you have to do the following:

1. PREP CS (If you use PREP CS 20, it will screw up and backfire you so dont put a number in there).
2. Harness 20
3. Cast when ready.

WIth my attunement at 509 and 20 harness I had zero problem maintaining the spell and it teaches great. Its just not as usable for young folks and these are the only two spells we have that teach warding. Both spells worked just fine but I'm not sure how at present to see how much benefit they give us currently.

Ranger Pfanston and his Soggy pup.
Re: Ranger Magic in 3.0 (bugs as of 12/2/2012) 12/04/2012 05:26 AM CST
> I was unable to get any of these spells to teach any Debilitation skill at all no matter how high or low I cast the spells.

What were you casting at? Debilitation is like TM; you need to casting it on a target appropriate to your skill.
Re: Ranger Magic in 3.0 (bugs as of 12/2/2012) 12/04/2012 05:22 PM CST
You should only post Test server information on the DR 3.0/Test boards, they won't find it in the regular DR Ranger boards.

That said, you aren't casting Debil spells on things that will teach you. You need to find something more difficult to cast on. Debil is definitely the easiest magic to train right now, especially with GRIZ. You just have to find something at your skill level. Elder gryphons would likely fit the bill. I was able to lock in 6-7 casts of GRIZ in warklins, with 300 Debil.

As for the CS/BES and training Warding, I agree that it might be difficult, if not impossible, for any Ranger to train warding with those spells given the difficulty. With 390 PM/Aug I can only put 12 mana into them before backfiring.

GENT
Re: Ranger Magic in 3.0 (bugs as of 12/2/2012) 12/04/2012 05:46 PM CST
BES trains insanely well at 15 mana. Just my comment. As for the rest. I've not really had a problem learning magic. I'll go test to see if sometihng is wrong. MON duration is acceptable just cast it for duration maxed. I get over 30 minutes or about there when i cast. Although i have 700+ PM.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Ranger Magic in 3.0 (bugs as of 12/2/2012) 12/04/2012 06:12 PM CST

first cast swarm 20:

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Attunement: 762 81% dabbling (1/34) Debilitation: 603 54% thinking (5/34)
second cast swarm 20:

Attunement: 762 81% dabbling (1/34) Debilitation: 603 54% attentive (10/34)

Third cast swarm 20:

Showing Magic skills with field experience.

Debilitation: 603 55% understanding (14/34)

2 cast of Grizzly claw at 15

Debilitation: 603 55% studious (19/34)

NOW i'll say this getting feats is a must for using bes. Effiecent harnessing/channeling and raw channeling and i also grab deep attunement

I'll change what i said.... i cast bes at 18 mana and forage for awhile. Pretty much will learn warding/agumentation/attument pretty steadily. Each pulse of the spell. I find i can hold 18 mana pretty much indefinately in a lambiant - flugent room. At lower levels to learn warding, probably can just cast the Lay Ward analogus pattern spell.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>