Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 01:39 AM CST
Was testing Desert's Maelstrom and Truffenyi's Rally when we noticed that Desert's Maelstrom's balance boost fades very quickly, but Truffenyi's Rally's balance boost actually prevents me from ever losing balance.

Not sure which way it should go, or if the two spells should be this different. I asked Casserah and she says her balance gain from Truffenyi's Rally is working like Desert's Maelstrom in that her balance pulses back down quickly, but for some reason when I'm grouped with her my balance actually doesn't go down with Truffenyi's Rally.

Also, Trufennyi's Rally doesn't seem to always message me whenever I gain balance from it. Logs below!

Desert's Maelstrom

> bal
You are solidly balanced.
>
You shift with the force of the gusting storm of sound, leaning into the wind at just the right moment.
Your voice strengthens as you reach the chorus, deepening and losing the abrasive qualities normally inherent in the performance of the "Desert's Maelstrom". For a few moments you are able to chant the words of this sibilant song clearly...

"Deepening shadows, cover their eyes,
Borne by sands, older than time,
Hinder their steps, irritate and blind,
Meet the Velaka, enemies mine."

It isn't until you are finished that you realize you were chanting in another language.
> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
>
Casserah studies the balaclava's segments carefully and then turns them with her tongs to allow for even cooling of the metal parts inside.
> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
> bal

Truffenyi's Rally

Casserah nods.
sJ> stand
You stand back up.

J> bal
You are somewhat off balance.
J>
Unspoken words of valor resembling Casserah's voice resonate in your ears, and your balance improves.
J> bal
J> bal

J>
J> bal
J> bal
J>
Unspoken words of valor resembling Casserah's voice resonate in your ears, and your balance improves.
J> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal

J>
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal

J>
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal
You are nimbly balanced.
J> bal
You are adeptly balanced.
J> bal
J> bal
J> bal
J> bal

J>
J> bal
J> bal
J> bal
J> bal
J> bal
J> bal
J> bal
J> bal
You are incredibly balanced.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 01:42 AM CST
Just to add to this, I didn't seem to go above nimbly balanced with TR, either in a group or on my own.
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 02:32 AM CST
Well my guess is TR is a better balance booster cause

A) they are both basic cyclical abilities costing 2 slots, but
B) Maelstrom also debuffs enemies and hurts their balance (i think). TR spends both slots it would seem on boosting your balance

That said I dont know why you could get SUPER balanced while the paladin Cant get above nimbly.
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 03:01 AM CST
Seems both spells effect party members more than the leader. With Maelstorm I was able to get up to incredibly as a party member, as does Leilond with my TR. The leaders stay at nimble it seems like.

Whats strange is this, if Leilond is leading with Mael and I'm in the party with TR, then he gets between nimble and adept as do I, but neither of us go to incredible. Its like both the spells are impacting one another if they are both present in a group.
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 09:33 AM CST
> TR spends both slots it would seem on boosting your balance

TR is just a group balance buff? Then I think it's been over-priced as a 2-slot cyclic.
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 11:15 AM CST
TR also clears at least one status (immobilization).
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 07:32 PM CST

I was actually very happy with TR when I tested it a few weeks ago now I think. I could stay incred balanced as long as the spell was up.
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 08:11 PM CST
>I was actually very happy with TR when I tested it a few weeks ago now I think. I could stay incred balanced as long as the spell was up.

Were you testing it in or out of combat? As far as our testing was going, it was all done out of combat. With balance boosting attacks as well, I wouldn't be surprised if you could stay at adeptly or higher.
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 08:25 PM CST
My core testing was done in combat, didn't try anything outside of combat.
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 08:57 PM CST
Right in combat with balance boosters its pretty easy to stay incredible if you dont chop/chop/chop or similar, which makes sense since without a booster you can stay between nimble and incredible by using the normal combat verbs. TR/Maelstorm basically keeps you up there better and lets you use more aggressive verbs more often.

Very useful spells, especially given the group effect, but it does seem pretty buggy. I imagine Maelstorm AND TR would be an awesome group effect, but as Leilond and I found out, it actually seems to cause both of them to work less effectively.

I'm curious if we can know for sure what effects TR attempts to throw off? Is it just immobilize? There are no rangers on test for me to test webs, stuns dont seem to be thrown off (not sure if they are supposed to).
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 09:42 PM CST
>>I'm curious if we can know for sure what effects TR attempts to throw off? Is it just immobilize? There are no rangers on test for me to test webs, stuns dont seem to be thrown off (not sure if they are supposed to).

TR removes Stuns/Webs/Unconsious. Its not a 100% chance by any means, but it will remove any of the big 3.
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/26/2012 11:30 PM CST
Oh hrm. I guess Leilond just really laid into me with a huge stun then, I wasnt able to get TR to remove it, but it was a very limited test.

Its great to know it works on more than just immobilization (which seemed strangely very specialized).
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/27/2012 12:49 AM CST
Tested with Leilond for a little while. Had him beat the tar out of me, stunning me over and over.

If TR works against stuns, it doesnt seem very good at it. In about thirty or so stuns (most light, but up to viscous and the such) we only think we saw it work once (I got a message about being able to move again).

Whats more, when the spell 'failed' no messaging regarding it was noted, only my balance. When testing against immobilizations EVERY pulse noted what it was doing in regards to throwing off the immobilizations, and it seemed to succeed about 1/2 the time.
Re: Balance Boosting Spells 12/27/2012 06:57 AM CST
Yeah it was weird, not sure if TR is designed to work more against Immobilization than it is Stuns, but we saw a stark difference in terms of how often it actually activated itself with both of these two conditions.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg