HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 12:37 PM CST
First of all, I'd like to say thanks to all the GMs for their 3.0 work, and thanks to Raesh for working up new spells for us. Since our spells are being looked at / added to a bit, I've just got a couple of comments to share:

HoJ seems exceedingly niche, almost to the point of uselessness (to me - I don't remember the last time my paladin was stolen from). I actually haven't even tested it because it's never seemed that useful to me. I'd like to suggest an improvement - let us be able to gesture not only at thieves, but also at a mage casting a spell to interrupt their spell prep and potentially crush their hands. The "better not try it on the innocent" design could depend on what type of spell is being prepped - Target or Debilitation and the spell works fine, but if they're prepping a warding or utility or augmentation spell, there is backlash to the caster. Would anyone else be interested in that function?

Secondly, Shatter... On the original proposed spell list, Shatter was listed as a damage amplifier instead of an armor damager. I figured it was because someone on high didn't want "trash someone's armor" spells floating around (no one said - I just assumed), and was pretty okay with getting a damage amplifier. However, I just read that there is a potential planned armor damaging spell for Bards, and maybe CoZ does the same thing for Clerics? So why then was the decision to make Shatter a simple "drop your shield" spell? It's underwhelming to me, because not all mobs carry shields, and as for PvP, don't shields get auto-picked up in 3.0? It might just be because I don't really PvP, but is anyone else kinda unimpressed with the new Shatter? Or at the very least think this one could use a name change? I mean... does it actually shatter anything?

Okay, those two things being said I really like how 3.0 is turning out for paladins. At first I was a little butt-hurt that we weren't getting gobs of new spells and sweet abilities... but really I think it's only because we don't really NEED much more. 3.0 is good to us, IMO. Also, I love AA and am excited for the multi-shot TM spell that Raesh hinted at.

Thanks for reading!
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 12:41 PM CST
>>So why then was the decision to make Shatter a simple "drop your shield" spell? It's underwhelming to me, because not all mobs carry shields, and as for PvP, don't shields get auto-picked up in 3.0?

Based on what I've heard in test, Shatter doesn't make the opponent drop his/her shield. It makes their shield arm useless, so that they cannot even attempt to use the shield skill for a duration.

But I could have heard wrong.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 12:53 PM CST
>>It makes their shield arm useless, so that they cannot even attempt to use the shield skill for a duration.

Well that's different, then. Never mind.

I've been mostly experimenting with my characters' hunting levels and casting caps. Nothing I've fought in test uses shield, so the spell does nothing for them.
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 05:25 PM CST
Please please please don't change anything about shatter. It's a fantastic spell; it's much better in its current state and makes Paladins unique in a more interesting way.

We really have a good set of spells, but I agree that hoj might be the exception. I've only used it once in 2.0 for kicks. IMO a SF or halt is more effective.
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 05:29 PM CST
Right, I still have trepidation on the slot cost of of BW, but its a great spell.

HoJ I think is a little bit of a relic, a spell entirely based around PvP(monsters dont steal) and in general a little meh in terms of its functionality. Why would I gesture at someone to give them CvC approval on me instead of just smiting?

The idea of making HoJ a breath of fire like effect where you can gesture at something to keep it from retreating was very awesome. Hope that gets noticed by the higher ups.
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 06:02 PM CST
>So why then was the decision to make Shatter a simple "drop your shield" spell? It's underwhelming to me, because not all mobs carry shields, and as for PvP, don't shields get auto-picked up in 3.0?

Due to the potential for PvP and vast mechanics issues and players whining like babies, all 'drop items' abilities are being removed or reworked. No items will be physically dropped any more, instead you'll lose the function of that limb to simulate the same effect. Keeps people from abusing tingle to steal weapons permanently etc. Same effect, less GM time wasted on reports.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 06:09 PM CST
Right, drop item/break items are just bad for a game like DR. If DR was set up a bit more like EVE or other sand box games where you were, from day one, expected to loose your items, that be different. But the game economy isnt really set up that way, there are 'rare' quest items and all sorts of other reasons this would not work.

I do think the game needs a better plat sink to stop inflation, but I think enchanting and other short term plat-for-use buffs would do that.

Anyhow I'm pretty happy with Shatter as is now.
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 07:57 PM CST
I've been discussing HoJ with some other GMs and the general feeling is that it is, as most of you put it, a relic.

The problem is what to do with it now - and so far we haven't hit on a spectacular idea for it. I'm going to muse on it for a few days, I expect something will strike me that I like.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 08:00 PM CST
Holy brawling damage, particularly against cursed / undead.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 08:01 PM CST
>>The problem is what to do with it now

::hypnowheel::
Steal the mechanics that spectral reapers use to prevent mobs from retreating from ittttttttt...tttt....tttt....tt...
::/hypnowheel::

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 09:10 PM CST
It wouldn't be a bad name for our anti hide/anti retreat spell.
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 09:12 PM CST
>>Holy brawling damage, particularly against cursed / undead.

Not sure how to interpret this. Either you mean a bless like effect, which HoW already does. If you mean holy in terms of a damage type, we dont have that currently such a damage type.

>>The problem is what to do with it now - and so far we haven't hit on a spectacular idea for it. I'm going to muse on it for a few days, I expect something will strike me that I like.

<3

>>Steal the mechanics that spectral reapers use to prevent mobs from retreating from ittttttttt...tttt....tttt....tt...

That would be pretty awesome. I imagine some passive effect that surronds the paladins with holy ethereal chains that bind those at melee range. The paladin can gesture at a target X times per cast to send out to a target and bind them from retreating, even pull them im if the contest wins by a some margin.
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 09:53 PM CST
>>That would be pretty awesome. I imagine some passive effect that surronds the paladins with holy ethereal chains that bind those at melee range. The paladin can gesture at a target X times per cast to send out to a target and bind them from retreating, even pull them im if the contest wins by a some margin.

That I kind of like, though not as a HoJ expansion.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/25/2012 10:25 PM CST
(Deleted to repost with an extra thought)

Awesome to you liking it. I always thought that would be kind of neat and fit with our justice theme, like a judge throwing the chains of holyness on someone.

Maybe HoJ should add a secondary effect to our attacks, that saps stamina and improves force of impact? Maybe the impact could be increased on targets that have recently participated in stealth combat (including stealing).
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/26/2012 03:56 PM CST
"That I kind of like, though not as a HoJ expansion."

Perhap the call for the Hounds of Rutilor to aid the Paladin in a time of need!

The bucket burbles suddenly as its contents begin to dissolve....

Suddenly it spits out some niniam field plate onto the floor.
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/26/2012 06:33 PM CST
>>DR-RAESH: I've been discussing HoJ with some other GMs and the general feeling is that it is, as most of you put it, a relic. The problem is what to do with it now - and so far we haven't hit on a spectacular idea for it. I'm going to muse on it for a few days, I expect something will strike me that I like.

How about elemental damage (fire/cold/electric) for brawling attacks?

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: HoJ and Shatter 12/31/2012 12:52 PM CST
>I've been discussing HoJ with some other GMs and the general feeling is that it is, as most of you put it, a relic.

I think this has been suggested before but how about making it a debilitating spell that lowers an enemy target's offense? I would love this even if there was a tradeoff of increased defense for the same target (to borrow from SR 2.0). We have a good number of utility spells now but not much debilitation.

More tanking toys always make me happy. That said, thanks again for AA!