[Request] soul hit for halt? 11/23/2012 08:56 PM CST

We are getting soul hits for halt spell from time to time, is that expected?
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/23/2012 09:25 PM CST
These soul hits for fighting need to go in general. Its a good idea in theory, but in practice it doesn't work well.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/23/2012 10:01 PM CST
Agreed...its very ancient kind of logic. The system tries to presume the situations that a Paladin has to act. Someone is killing your friend, you attack them first technically, and get a soul hit?

Entire soul hit system needs to be tossed out because its really not that intelligent.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/23/2012 10:31 PM CST
>Entire soul hit system needs to be tossed out because its really not that intelligent.

Depends on whether you look at it as a punishment or a cost.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/23/2012 10:40 PM CST
A cost would need a way to replenish it while fighting, we have a soul pool for cost which is barely used for anything,a punishment isn't really workable since their is no way the system can accomodate every situation.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/23/2012 11:31 PM CST
Right.

We have a soul POOL that is a cost for us to use things like glyphs and the such. We have to maintain our soul STATE through prayer, tending peoples wounds, etc, or else it falls down.

The thing is the things that attack our soul STATE are very ..very black and white and a bit ridiculous and quite archaic.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/24/2012 04:09 AM CST
>>Someone is killing your friend, you attack them first technically, and get a soul hit?

The protect system is there for a reason?
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/24/2012 05:11 AM CST
Last time I used protect for that situation then attacked the assailant, i got a soul hit. That also being said, a Paladin should not have to stop and wait for the mechanics of a situation to co-align with the soul system for the system to recognize that they are being honorable.

The issue is this system only really applies in PvP, where thousands of situations will all play out differently and you have a system that is trying to make a stark set of rules of engagement that really cant be adapted. I would not mind the idea behind soul hits if they were more intelligent, but they simply arnt. The system is founded in the RP of the Paladin guild, but its doing nothing to reinforce it, its only making us engage in PvP under a very set and strange set of rules in most situations or penalizing us when we ignore it because we are trying to be honorable.

As I recall, the system was complained about years ago but was not further developed because the explanation at the time went something like "In the new Justice system this will be re written and be awesome".
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/24/2012 09:26 AM CST

Soul system should account for your PvP setting imo. Closed-acts normal system of hits and fixing. Guarded-first strike goes away but killing blow still recieve a hit to soul and refilling goes faster than normal via Pray/tend/tithe/undead hunting. Open-Very low hits for killing and huge refill return from pray/tend/tithe/undead hunting.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/24/2012 10:09 AM CST

I like that idea but I think it should be based on the Target's PVP settings. If the target is open...low/no hit, target guarded...low/med, Target closed....normal.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/24/2012 10:48 AM CST
Soul hits got reduced a while back and for one or two fights are manageable. It is the long extended CvC sessions where it gets tanked and we become less effective and then have to spend a bit of time getting it back up.

That being said, they are a pain and do not take into account varying situations, and if they went away, I would not cry.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/24/2012 02:38 PM CST
It neither supports RP at this point, nor adds anything to the game. Its like a pebble in your sandal..

I would say until a better system can be thought up, it should be disabled.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/24/2012 02:54 PM CST

>>It neither supports RP at this point, nor adds anything to the game. Its like a pebble in your sandal..

This. Although, Paladins aren't as popular because of this pebble as well. I Know showing up for spars or RP/NonRP PvP is a pain to keep playing as long as everyone else wants to. Its just not fun trying to keep up with a tanked soul. Even with the adjustments to soul hits they did do in current 2.0 prime it is a huge pain. Killing 2-3 people in less than a hour will bust up your soul pretty heavy currently. I did slightly more killing in test, but with halt being added to soul hits it didn't help. I hope it goes away till they can come up with a concept that will allow Paladin to join in on the PvP fun and Spars. For RP and nonRP fun.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/27/2012 11:39 AM CST

>>Its just not fun trying to keep up with a tanked soul.

I've always thought the soul state stuff was a bit restrictive. I mean, we are soldiers of the gods and defenders of faith. There are dark gods. Clerics are doing that "choose a god" for bonuses/penalties thing. I wish we had an option like that, but with each immortal granting different ways to raise and lower your soul state, or something like that. Same general pluses and minuses, but different actions. For RP's sake.

I'm kinda hoping all that stuff will be getting rewired somehow during the bonding event.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/27/2012 11:56 AM CST
As a Paladin of Damaris its really annoying that I cant really train stealths or act in any way beyond Chadatru.

Its really kind of strange despite being the warriors for the immortals, we are so attached to the teet of one god that it makes roleplay really constraining. I'm really jealous of Clerics and their general freedom to worship their gods.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/27/2012 11:59 AM CST
>Its really kind of strange despite being the warriors for the immortals, we are so attached to the teet of one god that it makes roleplay really constraining. I'm really jealous of Clerics and their general freedom to worship their gods.

There's a reason paladins are paladins and not clerics. But it is a little restrictive.
Re: soul hit for halt? 11/27/2012 12:01 PM CST
I'm not saying get rid of the system all together, but the fact one god more or less runs the show in a guild that are the swords for the immortals seems a bit much. Lots of guilds have patron gods, but Chadatru more or less has a monopoly on Paladin virtues.

I would love to see a little more flexibility on this..
Re: soul hit for halt? 12/06/2012 01:51 AM CST
Post-DR3, possibly, but this isn't a new issue so it'll probably have to wait until after we release.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: soul hit for halt? 12/06/2012 01:55 AM CST
As long as your aware of it my heart is content:)