Universal Solvent query 11/24/2012 07:28 PM CST
I was testing Universal solvent and have noticed that it seems to pulse more often than most other cyclic spells i have tested or seen used. This leads to issues with mana drain, with attunement at 560 and Prepping this at 21 I was expecting to be able to maintain the spell for quite some time, but soon found myself out of mana.

Is the attunement skill in anyways linked with the actual mana pool you have .. or is mana a static amount we all have and attunement just helps utilize it better ?

Is universal solvent actually pulsing faster by design due to the nature of the spell ?

Words Words Words .. in the end thats all it is
Re: Universal Solvent query 11/25/2012 04:57 AM CST
I'd highly recommend trying cambrinth. You should be able to keep it rolling indefinitly with a big enough camb.

The reason for this is the attunement/regen change. Lower you are, the faster you regen. So as USOL is rolling, simply charge it with 10 mana a couple times between pulses, or 20 each pulse. You will remain around a low(ish) attunement. But you can always keep your camb charged. I was doing this for a very long while with a camb orb that holds 100 mana
Re: Universal Solvent query 11/25/2012 06:57 AM CST
>I'd highly recommend trying cambrinth. You should be able to keep it rolling indefinitly with a big enough camb.

The issue is that during combat i am usually busy casting other spells such as PV or VS or .. etc etc .. using cambrinth to boost them to cap so that there is any chance to learn the various skills they teach.

At the moment if i have a camb as you suggest (powering my cyclic) as soon as you cast a spell that camb is used .. and often causes a backfire ...

The bigger problem as i see it at least, is should my attunement affect my mana pool .. as you move up the critter level you need slightly bigger prep on a cyclic for them to be effective (23 for uni sol after last nights tweaks for me) but mana pool seems to stay constant. Perhaps Mana can be linked to a stat even so intel increases mana pool size.

Re: Universal Solvent query 11/25/2012 09:59 AM CST
>At the moment if i have a camb as you suggest (powering my cyclic) as soon as you cast a spell that camb is used .. and often causes a backfire ...

I find this to be the single biggest issue with the magic 3.0 design. Relying on a cambrinth to power a cyclic is fine, but being unable to unlink from a cambrinth is extremely problematic for a spell caster.
Re: Universal Solvent query 11/25/2012 10:13 AM CST
Well, best thing would be not to run it indefinitely, but there's the possibility that you could if you wanted. It would definitely take time away from your standard Debil routines to charge an orb (or even several pieces, as is my case), but so would the killing power of Usol. The longer it pulses, the longer it deals continual damage, inevitably killing what you're fighting. You'd have to take a break from your standard Debil routines to use Usol, I'd think.

To address your concerns though, I don't think TM exp tweaking is finished. And on top of that, I haven't heard there's any evidence that Attunement Skill doesn't increase your mana pool size. I'm actually quite confident that it should, actually, as Harness and PP were both combined to form Attunement. As it grows, you should be able to pull more mana from a room because of it. It would be best to test with two people that have a vast difference in their attunement ability, harnessing up all the mana they possibly can from the same room.
Re: Universal Solvent query 11/25/2012 12:51 PM CST
>I haven't heard there's any evidence that Attunement Skill doesn't increase your mana pool size

Yes I accept that it was down on my to do list for testing today. I think my issue is .. the pool itself does not increase, you just get better at utilizing the pool, imo at least, it should do both. Mana is the major resource for a magic user, as Fatigue is for combat.

Just a clarification on the Universal solvent problem, running HoW on my Paladin I can run it forever from my attunement (which is substantially lower than Necros, and my warmage can run Ring of Spears seemingly forever without having mana problems. Just seemed odd that Universal Solvent drains the mana quite so drastically as it does.

Good areas for discussion and testing though.

Re: Universal Solvent query 11/25/2012 01:45 PM CST
>the pool itself does not increase

Did this change? I don't remember seeing this announced. It used to be a pool size of 100 + Harness/10.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Universal Solvent query 11/25/2012 02:09 PM CST
Out of curiosity, for the comparison of USOL to RoS or such, are you looking at equivalent mana initial casts? Also, I remember USOL pulsing pretty rapidly, but haven't tested RoS. How's it compare?
Re: Universal Solvent query 11/25/2012 02:15 PM CST
>>How's it compare?

USOL's damage type varies. ROS will always stay the same (I'm guessing puncture/impact?).
USOL pulses faster. ROS lands multiple hits (I think).
USOL's aim comes off as a bit junky when I'm using it at-level—I get more misses than hits. ROS seems to hit at-level.
USOL hits full area. ROS is just melee (or melee/pole?)

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/