Cambrinth 01/19/2013 12:47 AM CST
So in an attempt to see if Ive overlooked something and if not it can mayhaps be tossed in before tomorrow. Is there a way to break a current link to a cambrinth item? If not can we get one? As an example of what I mean.. I was testing MG earlier and during my tests I was using my camb orb as a battery. The whole time I was linked to it I was casting MG. Then I released my MG and needed to cast a moonbeam... but I was still linked to the orb with no way to break the link. So I burned all that mana for nothing. Be nice if I could INVOKE or RELEASE CAMB and stop the link without having to use the mana or wait till the link fades.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 12:48 AM CST
In 2.0, you could put the cambrinth in a container, and when you cast your spell the link will break (and not use any mana). Not sure if it's still that way in 3.0, but give it a shot?
Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 01:05 AM CST
Tried that. Even closed it. Still used it.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 01:10 AM CST
You can set the cambrinth to only discharge mana for cyclics, so you can continue casting normal spells.

INVOKE ORB CYC will set it so it only discharges mana on cyclics.
Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 01:13 AM CST
Im not wanting it to do that though. Im wanting to break the link. For example say I invoke it prep a spell... then remember I need a different spell first but dont want to burn the mana in the camb. I just want to break the link so I can cast then reinvoke it. Besides pretty sure what you suggest is a feat.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 01:16 AM CST
Socharis just put in a RELEASE <CAMBRINTH> verb that breaks the link to a cambrinth you are wearing or holding.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 01:28 AM CST
Dedicated Cambrinth User is the feat you're thinking of, but frankly, I'm not sure why you'd want to break a link? What you're describing is functionally the same as either releasing the cyclic, or having the cambrinth only discharge into cyclics.

Can you explain why you think breaking the link is useful?
Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 01:29 AM CST
Think of it this way - If you establish and maintain a link with a cambrinth item, it's reasonable to assume you should be able to release that link. I'm not as concerned with the use case as I am with the consistency and coherency of the system.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 01:32 AM CST

Code ALL the coherency!
Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 01:59 AM CST
>>Can you explain why you think breaking the link is useful?

Heres an example I came across today. I was getting ready to run into combat so I charged an orb, invoked it, then prepped Seers Sense. About then I remembered I wanted to do a fast small prediction and there was cloud cover. So I released Seers but realized I couldnt break my link to the cambrinth. I just needed a small PG and didnt want to recharge the orb or use the mana... hence my desire. Its not always in combo with cyclics. I wanted to be able to make or break the links when I choose in case I goofed or changed my mind.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 03:43 AM CST
Excellent addition. Thanks Socharis.
Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 08:09 AM CST

@Ranzer:
In the example you gave, you could just INVOKE CAMB CYC, and then cast the new spell, and then INVOKE CAMB to get back to normal spell casting. Functionally, it's the same thing. But, whatever, there's a RELEASE option now.
Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 08:13 AM CST
Yeah that would be a waste of a spell slot for a weird get around. It would certainly work mind you, but release was added in so it does make it moot point. Cambrinth overall will be in a great place in a few hours.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Cambrinth 01/19/2013 08:21 AM CST
I'd be surprised if many magic users didn't have Dedicated Cambrinth User, but, yeah, meh. For those who don't, RELEASE CAMBRINTH will do what they need.