Magic FAQ. 01/18/2013 11:33 PM CST
Note, these are short form answers to the most common questions I've been asked by mages who are just logging in to 3.0 for the first time.

NEW CAMBRINTH (I FOCUSED MY CAMBRINTH AND NOTHING HAPPENED):

Commands are -

CHARGE <CAMBRINTHITEM> # <--- charges the item as always
INVOKE <CAMBRINTHITEM> <--- Invokes the item like it used to
INVOKE <CAMBRINTHITEM> # <--- will only invoke # amount for your next spell
INVOKE <CAMBRINTHITEM> CYCLIC <--- Will only invoke the item for your cyclic spell. * Note, requires the Dedicated cambrinth use magical feat.

WHAT IS A SPELL SLOT IN 3.0

Spell slots in 3.0 are different. Your guilds' spells may cost between 1 and 3 spell slots depending on effect and difficulty. Spell slots are also used to purchase MAGICAL FEATS at a rate of 1 spell slot per feat.

HOW MANY SPELL SLOTS DO I HAVE?

Short answer: More than in 2.0
Read: http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Spell_slots

MAGICAL FEATS EXPLAINATION:
Magical feats are passive buffs. You spend spell slots on them. Too much to explain, please read:
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Magical_Feats

WHERE DO I GO TO LEARN MY MAGICAL FEATS?:
Asemeth Academy. Soon there will be trainers elsewhere.

WHY CAN'T I MOONGATE?:
Moon gate NO LONGER WORKS LIKE IT DID IN 2.0!!!!!

Basically the short answer is this: Charge up your biggest cambrinth to max, invoke it. prep moongate at a higher level than you might be used to (type discern moongate to figure out your tolerances). Cast it. Hopefully you have the raw attunement feat and after the cambrinth runs out, your raw attunement will hold.

<<The main thing about skinning exp is that it's an easy thing to tweak on release, and earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings.

Than
Re: Magic FAQ. 01/19/2013 12:03 AM CST
Rules for this thread:

All replies must be FAQ for magic. All other discussions should happen in the Magic folder in reply to a different thread. This helps people collect their tips and tricks as they learn them so they can share them with others, and prevents people from having to dig through to figure out what's advice and what's discussion.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Magic FAQ. 01/19/2013 12:35 AM CST

I CAN'T BUY SPELLS FROM MY GUILDMASTER!! HELP!!

Relax, for the time being, magic is on preview, type SPELL and you'll see you have all the spells your guild has. Experiment with everything! Don't forget to type DISCERN <spellname> to get more details on your spells. * Note the accuracy of information from DISCERN is based on your ARCANA skill. Your mileage will vary.

* I will delete this post or request it to be deleted once magic goes off preview.

<<The main thing about skinning exp is that it's an easy thing to tweak on release, and earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings.
Re: Magic FAQ. 01/19/2013 01:20 AM CST

I WANT TO BREAK MY LINK TO MY CAMBRINTH WITHOUT USING UP THE MANA!

RELEASE <CAMBRINTHITEM> <--- Breaks your link to a currently linked cambrinth.

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."