Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:04 PM CST
Hey guys -

I made some serious changes to Moongate last night:

- Requires about 150 skill to cast. The old requirement was 25th circle, and 6 ranks of PM per circle isn't very outlandish for a moon mage, so that's about the same as it was.
- Scales upwards of 1100 ranks. This is for the most epic of moongates (Actually we don't have locations far enough apart, aside from the islands, to cast this at).
- Mainland-Island is still very hard.
- Island-Island is still harder as well.
- Pulse times have been increased to 10 seconds. Might increase it further, not sure, but moongate is supposed to be a skill that taxes the mage significantly. You ARE ripping a hole through spacetime or whatever.
- Mana range has been increased to 5-50. This means that in addition to having high skill, a very long-range gate is going to be remarkably hard to hold open very long. To do it well, you'll need feats, cambrinth, and potentially slaves to help you keep camb charged up.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:16 PM CST
THanks for making it harder than it was previously...once moons rise...i will test it...why can't i make my own moons yet?
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:23 PM CST
<<- Island-Island is still harder as well.>>

I'm curious, how hard is it from say, shard in ilithi to Fang Cove?

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:25 PM CST
Awesome, thanks for the update!
Can't wait to try this out.
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:44 PM CST
<<- Requires about 150 skill to cast

Do we know which skill fuels moongate castability? I assume since it's a utility spell, this 150 ranks of skill are utility ranks, or is there something else involved that I missed.

<<THanks for making it harder than it was previously...once moons rise...i will test it...why can't i make my own moons yet?

Because your name isn't Vegeta. :(

Nikpack
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:45 PM CST
>>Do we know which skill fuels moongate castability?

Utility

>>I'm curious, how hard is it from say, shard in ilithi to Fang Cove?

PAFO!

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:49 PM CST
I hate PAFO. I propose PAFO be banished from 3.0 forever. :-)

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:52 PM CST
Well, I'm not sure if this was intended or not...
I have 593 Lunar Magic

I set my beam in the center of Crossings
-Could not reach from the wharf in Lang (Why....?)
-Could not reach Muspar'i (tho we did talk about this in Test early this morning and I can see why it would be difficult given it's distance)

The one I'm more confused is why can I not gate from Crossings to Lang anymore? If you kept the number at or close to what you mentioned early this morning, I should be able to do that gate.
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:54 PM CST
>>Do we know which skill fuels moongate castability?

>Utility

Well, that would explain it... -_-;
I only got 445 of that. Didn't you guys mention something about how we could switch two skills to make one more than the other?
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:54 PM CST
you're crossing bodies of water, is your athletics skill up to the requirement?

Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:56 PM CST
>you're crossing bodies of water, is your athletics skill up to the requirement?

I'm quite sure we don't use that sort of skill in our spacetime ripping warps.
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 12:59 PM CST
> Didn't you guys mention something about how we could switch two skills to make one more than the other?

EXP SWITCH {SKILL1} {SKILL2}.

> you're crossing bodies of water, is your athletics skill up to the requirement?

This was removed.
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 01:11 PM CST
Scraaaatch. I'm so sleepy, guys... I was in the wrong area and wasn't in Lang. I'll go kick myself in the butt now.
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 02:10 PM CST
Just to toss out some data here... 102nd circle MM 509 Utility

Hib to Xing takes me 12 mana
Muspari to Xing takes me 17 mana
Shard to Xing takes me 10 mana
Aesry to Ratha takes me 10 mana
Shard to Muspari takes me 25 mana

And Islands to Mainland is now impossible for me. I can only push to about 27-28 mana before I backfire. Which is funny cause my DISCERN says 15 heh. All in all though this looks much more like 2.0 MG and that makes me happy. I liked bein able to open a gate from Ratha to Shard on 16 mana but cest la vie... maybe Ill be able to again one day.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 02:15 PM CST
An additional update was made to Moongate, reenabling Rogue gates.

Rejoice.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 02:20 PM CST
>>Which is funny cause my DISCERN says 15 heh.

What's your Arcana? It might not be accurate because of that.

Also not sure if you know the utility feat (or if that gets factored into the discern).

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 02:36 PM CST
>>Rogue gates.

You should have the rogue gates flex creatures with the same powers as the Spirit Reapers, and have them flex to the highest person in the room :3

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 02:53 PM CST
>>What's your Arcana? It might not be accurate because of that.

Yea its my Arcana. I just find it amusing that you need such a high skill level to get accurate info. 540 in it and I still get weird numbers.

>>Also not sure if you know the utility feat

I do... MM get that one for free.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 03:02 PM CST
>>(or if that gets factored into the discern)

It does

>>Yea its my Arcana. I just find it amusing that you need such a high skill level to get accurate info. 540 in it and I still get weird numbers.

It's harder with harder spells, and if your arcana is lower than your spell skill, that indicates that your knowledge of how to manipulate mana in utilitarian ways (or whatever) exceeds your knowledge of the inner mechanisms of magic, which basically means sometimes you fly by the seat of your pants when you cast.

figuring out your personal cap can also be done by trial and error, at the risk of harming yourself. An even trade, IMO.

--

Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 03:07 PM CST
Oh no worries heh Im certainly not upset with DISCERN in any way. The number just sorta ballparks the range for me. I think the only issue Ive had is when I cant even get basic spell info on a spell esoteric or no. I think thats a little weird that mid 500s wouldnt give you that at least. But its a minor point. All in all I like the verb.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 03:27 PM CST
Does Discern take into account the Utility feat?

With 687 Arcana and 536 Utility I get a consistent 16-18 mana on DISCERN. My personal cap is 28.
Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 03:32 PM CST
Soch just confirmed it does about 3 posts up.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Moongate Changes 01/18/2013 04:57 PM CST
Hm, sounds like Discern is giving you the wrong numbers. I'll take a look, with that much Utility your personal cap sounds correctish, if you also have the feat.

--