This a bug or intended? (Magic tougher to cast when attunement is low) 01/17/2013 01:29 PM CST
Hi, i've noticed something on the test realms. Magic seems more difficult to cast when your attunement is low. Is this intended?

Example, I can put 20 mana+20 mana into a 48 mana armband then min prep and cast a spell at 100% attunement.

Now I do that a couple times, and now I have say, 65% attunment. I put 20+20 in the armband, and cast, and the spell barely backfires. So I put 18+18 in the armband, and it again, just barely backfires.... Then I wait until my attunement is back at 100%, and I can cast 18+18 fine, I can even cast 20+20 fine again.

The reason I wonder if this is maybe a glitch, is when it comes to doing 'sorcerous' stuff (Example, an empath using life mana to cast clear vision, a lunar spell), in prime, right now, you cast better/have less of a chance to backfire/less of a chance to critically fail the cast, if you have high attunement, thus making it better if you rub the avaes runestone to get the spell in your head at min prep, then use some charged cambrinth for the rest of the energy to power the spell.

Try the same thing at under max attunement, and it's much easier to backfire and screw it up. Is it possible maybe this effect bled out from sorcerous casting, and infected ALL magic casting, inadvertently, without anyone but me noticing?

I think this has to be a bug, since 3.0 is supposed to reward fat casting with exp gains, and having low attunement is good because it recovers faster that way. Is it an intended penalty that if you cast hard and fast and drain your attunement low, that you start to backfire spells at mana levels you can easily cast if your attunement is full?
Re: This a bug or intended? (Magic tougher to cast when attunement is low) 01/17/2013 01:49 PM CST
It might be a confirmation bias. Personal caps aren't as static anymore. I've backfired spells at 90 I previously cast fine at 95 even when attunement/concentration is both 100%.

Then again, what was your concentration when you cast those spells at lower amounts of attunement?

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: This a bug or intended? (Magic tougher to cast when attunement is low) 01/17/2013 02:07 PM CST
>Hi, i've noticed something on the test realms. Magic seems more difficult to cast when your attunement is low. Is this intended?

Check your concentration. If you've been casting some, your concentration might have dropped below 100%, which would make you backfire. This is most visible with a big ritual spell.
Re: This a bug or intended? (Magic tougher to cast when attunement is low) 01/17/2013 03:18 PM CST
Definitely either confirmation bias or concentration-related. The only thing spells care about with regards for attunement is if you have enough of it for the raw mana you're using.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: This a bug or intended? (Magic tougher to cast when attunement is low) 01/17/2013 03:25 PM CST
Do spells use stamina when deciding if you succeed/fail?
Re: This a bug or intended? (Magic tougher to cast when attunement is low) 01/17/2013 03:44 PM CST
No, but they use fatigue I believe.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.