Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 01:10 AM CST
Hey guys -

I've made some significant changes to the way cambrinth works. It's not TOO different from what you're used to, but there are some major changes worth noticing:

- INVOKE is now the only verb to use to activate a cambrinth item
- FOCUS is now informational-only. It will also tell you how much mana is in the cambrinth.
- CHARGE now takes more time the more mana you're putting into the camb.
- You can now INVOKE {CAMB} ### [Type] to specify an amount of mana to invoke out of the cambrinth. This is a rather difficult thing to do, so you may see some variance in the actual amount of mana you invoke. This is intended to work seamlessly with the Cambrinth Mastery feat, which allows you to specify whether you want your camb to work for spells or cyclics specifically.
- Cambrinth is a bit more efficient than it was before, to account for the increased RTs. Harnessed mana is also a little more efficient than it was, but not by the same magnitude that camb just changed.
- INVOKE is now 1 RT.

Please note that the new INVOKE ### functionality may end up behind a feat before tomorrow is through. There may also be a third new feat that will reduce your charging RTs a little bit (but not nearly to the RT that you had before).

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 03:30 AM CST

So for example?

prep sw 10
charge cam arm 10
invoke cam arm
cast

That's basically how it works? focus cam arm would just tell me there's 10 mana in it?

Does this work too?

prep sw 10
charge cam arm 20
invoke cam arm 10
cast
focus cam arm

That would show 10 leftover?
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 03:34 AM CST
Correct on all counts

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 03:40 AM CST

Massively amazingly awesome change!
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 04:28 AM CST
Not to dampen enthusiasm - but there could be a complication for this for premium players who have bonded cambrinth weapons, as the necessary verb to return the weapon to your hand is "invoke".

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 04:33 AM CST
The syntax for that is INVOKE BOND, so things should be fine.

--

Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 08:18 AM CST
INVOKE orb ## CYCLIC doesn't appear to only set the cambrinth for cyclics. Also, presumably

>invoke orb 10 cycl
The cambrinth orb pulses with Arcane energy. You reach for its center and forge a magical link to it, attempting to ready 10 mana streams for your use. You manage to attune yourself exactly as you intended to.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

>focus orb
You focus your magical senses on a cambrinth orb.
Your link to the cambrinth orb is intact. You are focused on drawing mana for all types of usage. You perceive approximately 60 mana streams bound within the orb.

>focus orb cyc
Your link to the cambrinth orb is intact. You are focused on drawing mana only for spell upkeep. You perceive approximately 60 mana streams bound within the orb.

>focus orb
Your link to the cambrinth orb is intact. You are focused on drawing mana for all types of usage. You perceive approximately 60 mana streams bound within the orb.

>invoke orb cyclic
Your link to the cambrinth orb is intact
Roundtime: 1 seconds.

Also, presumably if you INVOKE item ## CYCLIC and you set a value lower than what the cyclic is drawing, the spell will first draw from harness if you have Raw Channeling, then from held mana?
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 08:27 AM CST
> the spell will first draw from harness if you have Raw Channeling, then from held mana?

Other way around. Cyclics prioritize held mana over attunement.
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 08:30 AM CST
Ah, feats help, kind of (after picking up the appropriate stuff);

>invoke orb 15 cyc
The cambrinth orb pulses with Arcane energy. You reach for its center and forge a magical link to it, attempting to ready 15 mana streams for your use. You manage to attune yourself exactly as you intended to. By directing your focus, you ensure that mana is only drawn during the upkeep of spells.
>focus orb
Your link to the cambrinth orb is intact. You are focused on drawing mana for all types of usage. You perceive approximately 52 mana streams bound within the orb.
>
Your body is still soaked.
>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>invoke orb 10 cyc
The cambrinth orb pulses with Arcane energy. You reach for its center and forge a magical link to it, attempting to ready 10 mana streams for your use. You manage to attune yourself exactly as you intended to. By directing your focus, you ensure that mana is only drawn during the upkeep of spells.
>focus orb
Your link to the cambrinth orb is intact. You are focused on drawing mana for all types of usage. You perceive approximately 52 mana streams bound within the orb.
>cast
You gesture.
You weave a field of sublime corruption, concealing the scars in your aura under a layer of magical pretense.
>
Your cambrinth orb thrums softly as it discharges some of its poer to maintain your spell.
The Rite of Contrition matrix redoubles its hold on your senses. Joyous corruption seeps into your mind from your own spell, muting your unconscious sense of shame.

So, two things; first is the typo with discharging. This is also a little awkward, as when you invoke, it sounds like the number you set for discharge is allocated as a one time thing.

Secondly, it seems that even though INVOKE CYC sets the orb to discharge on cyclics only, that isn't the reported case with subsequent FOCUS checks, even though the item won't discharge mana into spells. So, it seems to be acting correctly, but not reporting so.

>focus orb
Your link to the cambrinth orb is intact. You are focused on drawing mana for all types of usage. You perceive approximately 40 mana streams bound within the orb.
>
Your cambrinth orb thrums softly as it discharges as much power as necessary, leaving a large amount left for future use.
>prep ease 5
You mutter blasphemies to yourself while preparing the Ease Burden spell.
>cast
You gesture.
Pale yellow sparks flicker around your torso. Your possessions suddenly feel lighter and easier to carry.
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 09:20 AM CST

Wonderful Change thank you!
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 01:20 PM CST
Tweaked the messaging in FOCUS and INVOKE a little, and fixed that typo. I'll look at making the INVOKE message more clear about how it affects cyclics.

--

Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 01:23 PM CST
>> I've also got a list that describes what each focus does that I've placed on the trunk selling the items, it's just not in Test yet. I'll get it into Test and Plat soon.

HELP FOCI also has this information. :D

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 01:45 PM CST
So just some more fiddling;

INVOKE ORB CYCLIC (no number) seems to set it so it will discharge as much as needed per spell pulse. However, the messaging is;

>invoke orb cyc
The cambrinth orb pulses with Arcane energy. You reach for its center and forge a magical link to it, *readying all of its mana* for your use. By directing your focus, you ensure that mana is only drawn during the upkeep of spells.

This makes some sense; all the mana in the orb is available for cyclics. However;

>invoke orb 10 cyc
The cambrinth orb pulses with Arcane energy. You reach for its center and forge a magical link to it, *attempting to ready 10 mana streams for your use*. You manage to attune yourself exactly as you intended to. By directing your focus, you ensure that mana is only drawn during the upkeep of spells.

Sounds like I've focused on the orb, and readied 10 mana streams within the orb to be used. Together, this made me think that the first message meant the orb would discharge ALL it's mana with each pulse. I suggest maybe;

You reach for its center and forge a magical link to it, *assuring 10 mana streams will be ready for each use*.

Otherwise, I think this is fantastic, a really wonderful, useful, and sensible change to cambrinth!

Now to make sure pulse times is reasonable. Also, I still find learning of arcana and whatever cyclic you're running to be EXTREMELY fast still. A 10 mana prep RoC will lock Arcana, Magic, and Utility in about 5m with a couple charges to keep it running.
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 02:26 PM CST
>Otherwise, I think this is fantastic, a really wonderful, useful, and sensible change to cambrinth!

Yeah, this is great. This is how cambrinth always should have worked.
Re: Cambrinth Changes 01/14/2013 02:33 PM CST
>>Yeah, this is great. This is how cambrinth always should have worked.

Yeah, when I started thinking about cambrinth's niche, this is what I realized as well. It opens a lot of cool avenues for cambrinth, and lodges them squarely in the 'mana battery' niche. There are some really cool options that we can take advantage of in the future, too.

--