Typos in Empath 3.0 Spellbook 12/31/2012 12:20 AM CST
Notes on the Heal Scars spell

The second of the fundamental healing spells, Heal Scars functions in an identical manner as Heal Wounds (all CAST options described in Heal Wounds applies to this spell as well). Where Heal Wounds restores functionality and flesh to body parts, Heal Scars smooths out the flaws left behind. Calluses, scars and lingering aches fade away under corrective magic, returning the body part to the ideal form for the Empath's age and natural fitness.

smooths should be smoothes.

Notes on the Heart Link spell

Heart Link establishes a vital connection between the Empath and a subject, granting the subject a measure of the Empath's holistic well being. Under the protection of a Heart Link, bleeding is reduced, poisons and diseases are stifled, and the Empath's life force flows outward to replace lost vitality.In previous years Heart Link was feared more than loved, due to its connection to the crippling Nissa's Binding. Advances in spell design have severed the two patterns, rendering Heart Link a purely beneficial spell.

There should be a space after the period.

Notes on the Compel spell

The Compel spell allows you to bring your will to bear upon a target to induce them to remove themselves from your presence. Unlike the brutal methods of other guilds, however, the Compel spell relies on on your supernatural empathy, reinforcing your will with a subtle but unyielding pattern of life mana. Creatures or people thus compelled find themselves elsewhere in a state of confusion, often unable to recall how they arrived or why they left. The most powerful empaths may find that the target believes he chose to leave himself -- never realizing that the impetus originated with the empath.

The delete the extra "on."

Notes on the Nissa's Binding spell

The Nissa's Binding spell is the only legacy the Empath Guild has of Lanival's companion, Nissa. Though it is thought that this spell was originally meant to be a type of anaesthesia, modern empaths have discovered other uses for it. When cast, this pattern will soothe the life essences around you and plunge them into a slumber. Those with great fortitude may resist this effect. As with most applications of this nature, Nissa's Binding is useless against the undead.

The preferred American spelling is anesthesia. (The British spelling is acceptable, but since most of the game uses American English, I would use the American spelling to be consistent.)

You feel your Heart Link with a mug of zombie's revenge fade away.
Re: Typos in Empath 3.0 Spellbook 01/02/2013 01:32 PM CST
>smooths should be smoothes.

That's what popped into my head when I saw it in the spell description too, but every reference I can find shows smooths as correct for the third person singular, and smoothes is not only not listed as an alternative, it is referred to as an error. Yay for irregular verbs!

~ Player of Farman et al.
Re: Typos in Empath 3.0 Spellbook 01/02/2013 03:09 PM CST
>>Threephi: That's what popped into my head when I saw it in the spell description too, but every reference I can find shows smooths as correct for the third person singular, and smoothes is not only not listed as an alternative, it is referred to as an error. Yay for irregular verbs!

Interesting. Apparently we have dueling dictionaries.

Microsoft Word: recognizes only smoothes; does not recognize smooths or smoothe

Firefox: recognizes only smooth; does not recognize smoothe or smoothes

1968 World Book Dictionary (normally prescriptive): sanctions only smooth; also gives smoothen as a verb form

Merriam-Webster Online (descriptive): prefers smooth; gives smoothe as a variant; also gives smoothen as a verb form

Smooth does seem to be the preferred verb form, at least from a quick survey of online dictionaries (although there are some vocal defenders of the smoothe, so I'll have to retract that suggestion.

You feel your Heart Link with a mug of zombie's revenge fade away.
Re: Typos in Empath 3.0 Spellbook 01/02/2013 04:51 PM CST
Yeah I'm personally gonna keep using smoothes because smooths just looks funny ;) Smooth does not rhyme with tooth but that's English for ya.

I've been playing for so long that at this point I actually have fondness for some of the old typos in DR. That doesn't stop me from submitting bug reports for them however. There was one prominent typo ("gapping wounds") I bugged for something like five or six years before it was addressed, so it kind of became a member of the family. I actually just recently noticed one in combat messages for Rock Trolls, I wonder how long it's been around?

Come to think of it, there's even older ones in combat that I used to submit and have given up. Bicep, tricep, and quadricep are all incorrect.

~ Player of Farman et al.
Re: Typos in Empath 3.0 Spellbook 01/05/2013 08:55 PM CST
The spell typos should be fixed.

Melete
Here as he walked by
On the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer
In the year of the Iron Toad
A nameless Dwarf
In a flash of genius discovered
The fundamental formula for
THE BEARD INTEGER
& cut it on a stone of this bridge