New Magic skills conversion rates 11/22/2012 02:18 PM CST
I briefly checked out the test instance last night to get my feet wet a little bit, and there's a lot of exciting and wonderful stuff that's new, but one thing struck me pretty quickly...

Why is our Utility skill so low as a percentage of PM? The majority of our new spellbook, including all the core healing spells, are Utility spells. The other new magic skills aren't anywhere close to that. Logically, one could assume that the majority of what we have been casting our entire careers were Utility spells (which is in fact true for my character--Farman learned a LOT of magic healing himself).

My PM in Prime: (should be the same value as when my character was cloned last night for the test instance)

>Life Magic: 449 97.92%

My new magic skills in test (these numbers were checked after casting no more than eight to ten spells total in test so the values are slightly higher than right after conversion:

>Augmentation: 404 97.92%
>Debilitation: 359 98.15%
>Utility: 337 52.69%
>Warding: 314 98.38%

It just struck me as quite counter-intuitive that we would have around 60% of our entire spellbook (including several new non-utility spells) use Utility, and get such a low conversion rate. I'm also confused why Augmentation and Debilitation are higher, considering the much lower percentage of our spellbook that rely on those skills. Is this a bug, or is this how it's supposed to be?

Here's the breakdown as I counted it from the spell list here https://skydrive.live.com/?id=C874F541D8642BE4!284&cid=c874f541d8642be4

16/27 utility
7/27 augmentation
3/27 debilitation
3/27 warding

Having very recently come back to DR after perhaps three years away, I haven't followed any of the DR 3.0 discussions leading up to now, but I don't think I'm going to be alone in that regard when the switch is flipped. Any insight or links to former discussions would be appreciated.

~ Player of Farman et al.
Re: New Magic skills conversion rates 11/22/2012 09:29 PM CST
I thought there was supposed to be a way to change the order, but I haven't heard anything about it since Test was opened up.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer