Spheres of Influence 11/21/2012 12:37 PM CST
I see that each guild has three stats in its sphere of influence. Since Empaths have spells to boost all but two of the stats (wisdom and charisma), I was a bit surprised to see that one of those two non-boostable stats is in our sphere instead of something that we can boost. Is this an error on the info page, or is it really like that?

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Spheres of Influence 11/23/2012 10:22 AM CST
>>I see that each guild has three stats in its sphere of influence. Since Empaths have spells to boost all but two of the stats (wisdom and charisma), I was a bit surprised to see that one of those two non-boostable stats is in our sphere instead of something that we can boost. Is this an error on the info page, or is it really like that?

Are you asking why Empaths do not have a wisdom buff, if wisdom is in their sphere of influence?

For what it's worth the SOI in the chart look correct. The spell list was put together before the SOI had been finalized, I believe, so that's probably how we ended up without a wisdom buff despite it being in our sphere of influence. Maybe one will be added down the line.

It's possible that I missed it somewhere in the reams of documentation and posts and meeting logs, but I don't think a guild has to have a buff for every stat in their SOI.

Melete
Seyalle: It does involve the beard integer.
Melete: THE BEARD INTEGER??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw
<to be continued...>
Re: Spheres of Influence 11/23/2012 10:58 AM CST
<<Are you asking why Empaths do not have a wisdom buff, if wisdom is in their sphere of influence?>>

Sort of the other way around, I guess. I'm asking why wisdom is in our sphere of influence when it's one of only two stats that we don't have a buff for. With so many stat buffs, I'd think that all three of our in-sphere stats would be ones for which we have buffs. I guess I'm assuming that the two stats we can't buff were intentionally chosen as not being thematically appropriate for Empaths to be boosting (since stat boosting has apparently become a Thing for us, which is cool), which to me suggests that they wouldn't be in the sphere of influence.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Spheres of Influence 11/23/2012 11:46 AM CST
Sphere of Influence is not meant to delineate what buffs the guild has access to, even though there may be significant correlation.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Spheres of Influence 11/24/2012 02:52 AM CST
>>DR-Armifer: Sphere of Influence is not meant to delineate what buffs the guild has access to, even though there may be significant correlation.

What does it mean in the case of such stats? In other words, how do Empaths benefit by having wisdom in their sphere of influence? (I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just trying to understand the concept.)

>>Documentation: Each guild has a set of skills and statistics that it makes sure that its members are familiar with over the course of their training. The guild member's intimate knowledge of these facets of life allows them to be more effective at bonusing them with abilities. Below is a list of the skills and statistics that are associated with each guild.

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: Spheres of Influence 11/24/2012 03:06 AM CST
I'm rather confused by this as well. For instance, I see intelligence in the thieves sphere, yet no ability I know raises this stat in the thieves arsenal. On the other hand, Khri evasion seems to increase your reflex. I honestly see thieves more as : agility, discipline, reflex.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Spheres of Influence 11/24/2012 05:22 AM CST
> What does it mean in the case of such stats? In other words, how do Empaths benefit by having wisdom in their sphere of influence? (I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just trying to understand the concept.)

If you get your hands on a wisdom bonus from somewhere else (e.g. sorcery or using another guild's spell), you'll get the big bonus.
Re: Spheres of Influence 11/24/2012 06:29 AM CST
>>What does it mean in the case of such stats? In other words, how do Empaths benefit by having wisdom in their sphere of influence? (I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just trying to understand the concept.)

If you come across a Wisdom booster, which does not need to be from your own guild (or even a spell), you'll get more mileage out of it than people who don't have Wisdom in sphere.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas