Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 08:01 PM CST
So I went into test and up to this point I have mainly played around with gating and shifting and things of that nature. Today I decided to try things in combat since I do have decent combat skills. I went to what I usually hunt which is celpeze on Kresh. I was getting hit but nothing serious no biggy. But here is what I noticed. It takes over 1/2 my mana pool for 1 cast to even make a small dent in them after 3 casts I am tapped and the celpeze is still alive. I had a friend who uses weapons come in and test and in 3 hits the celpeze was dead. I was using TKT with my shards. I am trying to find out if this is the way hunting is going to work now that I basically if you don't use weapons and only use magics its going to take you forever to kill something? Therefore, not gaining much skinning because it takes forever to kill stuff. Just kind of curious I think perhaps the TM needs to be looked at in the way it does damage because I don't feel that TM spells are doing enough damage to get through the now Vitality stuff to actually do the damage as intended I will be in test on and off most of the night trying different stuff.

Player of Jassarian
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 08:28 PM CST
Yeah to do decent damage from what I've tested you have to pump usually at the least 60 mana or so into a spell if its against an at level critter. Mana goes pretty quick for sure, maybe to much from what I've seen but it does come back pretty quickly at lower levels (mana regens faster the lower the pool) and somewhat levels out at the lower amounts.
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 08:48 PM CST
Vitallity barrier effect. You will want to punch through that, get them wounded, probably with some fast/spam attacks, then start hitting them hard. Otherwise, you're going to dissipate a large portion of your attack (and therefore your mana) on their vit barrier.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:00 PM CST
I don't play a mage right now, but what Ucu said was my though... barrage them with little snap-casts until their vit gets down a bit, then bring out (magic) hammer.

--Wryhk

1st grade tl;dr version:

Numbers didn't change. Words changed. Words don't matter. Numbers all that matters.

--GRIM45
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:00 PM CST
The Vit vs spell barrier needs to be lowered some I think.
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:10 PM CST
>>Vitallity barrier effect.

There really isn't much of a damage resistance due to vitality anymore. It is small and it scales linearly so there is no "punching through". Bad information really...

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:12 PM CST
Well I am not sure whats wrong then I even went down to gryphons and took me 3 70plus mana tkt's to kill a gryphon. And they don't even teach me target.
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:21 PM CST
I dunno what you're all doing, but my Cleric, Warmie, and Necromancer were all very able to kill the critters they typically hunt using a few different spells with very similar routines to 2.0.

The warmie and necromancer were using cyclic AoEs (FR and USOL) and killing laughably fast, and the Cleric was using FF and Horn.
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:23 PM CST
Do you have a log? What spells were you using?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:23 PM CST
Also TM should see an increase to damage based on stats - Late-breaking tweak but the stat bonuses to TM were just factored in, so things may be different now.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:24 PM CST
Also keep in mind that enemies will be dying slower. It isn't uncommon to need 6-7 shots from a bow to take down something at-level, or 15 whacks with a blade. I would find it unusual for someone to be 3-hitting a gryphon unless they outclasses it by quite a bit.

Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:34 PM CST
>Also keep in mind that enemies will be dying slower. It isn't uncommon to need 6-7 shots from a bow to take down something at-level, or 15 whacks with a blade. I would find it unusual for someone to be 3-hitting a gryphon unless they outclasses it by quite a bit.

I suspect his rub is going to be that you can punch things infinitely till they die, but you can only swing 3-4 '70 mana' TM spells, regardless of skill or stats, before tapping out.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:35 PM CST
Well seeing as how Socharis said stats weren't even factored in to TM damage until tonight... All the prior info/complaints about TM are now moot until it gets retested.
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:35 PM CST
>>you can only swing 3-4 '70 mana' TM spells, regardless of skill or stats, before tapping out.

Couple things:

- HARNESS makes this a lot less punishing
- Even if you tap out you still regen pretty fast

Besides, casting TM at 70 is a little bit aggressive - You really only want to have TM casts that high when you're trying to get a big hit off.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 09:36 PM CST
Or overcome a barrier.
Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 10:07 PM CST
>>I suspect his rub is going to be that you can punch things infinitely till they die, but you can only swing 3-4 '70 mana' TM spells, regardless of skill or stats, before tapping out.

Keep in mind that to brawl you must be face to face with your opponent. TM can be used from range and often has secondary effects. TM also tends to have a higher DPS than other attacks because of mana and the penalties from snap casting.

Re: Question about magic and target in regards to hunting 01/18/2013 10:10 PM CST
Thank you much much better!