Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 11:53 AM CST
I'm having a hard time with the concept of building a crafting system that allows people to make single body part armor pieces, and then update armor so that its double or triple the penalty for wearing armors from different classes, add more hiderance to all armor, and severely lower the exp gained from wearing armor on just a few body parts.

With the addition of new armor crafting in 2.0, I really liked the idea of characters mixing and matching. Now in 3.0 its the day of the leathers, hauberk, full plate, and only one class at a time, all over again.

That said my thief with 700 ranks chain/light can still pretty easily go: Chain - Head, eyes, neck, hands; Leathers, and a shield; and not get killed. But the learning rate on Chain for that is pretty bad not to mention adding in one more armor class (a 1/1 hinderance Plate mask for exmaple) even with 500 Brig/Plate pushes him to moderately hindered and makes the learning rate that much worse.

Honestly I'm feeling shoe horned into Light Armor or Chain only with no mix, and I'm not really diggin' it.

All in all its a pretty small drop in the bucket that is 3.0 but thought I'd post anyway.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 11:59 AM CST
>>I'm having a hard time with the concept of building a crafting system that allows people to make single body part armor pieces, and then update armor so that its double or triple the penalty for wearing armors from different classes, add more hiderance to all armor, and severely lower the exp gained from wearing armor on just a few body parts.

So, please keep in mind that appraisal changed with 3.0. I think a lot of folks are having problems because they see higher hindrance levels and don't realize they may have the same hindrance as before.

My recommendation is to TRY your mixed armor set. Sure, it is harder for Armor Terts (always has been). But, that doesn't mean you can't be entirely effective with a mixed Light + Chain, or Chain + Brig setup. The penalty for mixing really evens out after the second armor anyways.

As for learning, I'll see what might be going on with that. It seems like it could be worse than intended.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 12:07 PM CST

>So, please keep in mind that appraisal changed with 3.0. I think a lot of folks are having problems because they see higher hindrance levels and don't realize they may have the same hindrance as before.

Fair enough, is there any documentation on the new hiderances compared to the old hinderances? I really did figure thats the case, but I'm wearing stuff thats all insignificantly hindering alone, but put together I'm Moderately hindered, which even under the new system, sounds like A LOT.

>As for learning, I'll see what might be going on with that. It seems like it could be worse than intended.

Great!

Thanks.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 12:11 PM CST
Double post, sry but...

>The penalty for mixing really evens out after the second armor anyways.

Whatcha mean there? its adding a third class that I'm really having trouble with, because even an insignificant hinderince piece pushes me two full hinderance levels and of course it wont train at all since its so small (that part isnt really new I guess).

Thanks again for the posts.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 12:21 PM CST
>Whatcha mean there? its adding a third class that I'm really having trouble with, because even an insignificant hinderince piece pushes me two full hinderance levels and of course it wont train at all since its so small (that part isnt really new I guess).

It would be nice if the mixing penalty scaled by HOW mixed it was. That is, you get full mixing penalty at 50/50, or 33/33/33 or 25/25/25/25 coverage, but if you have say 50/45/5 then you only get a small part of the 3rd armor penalty. It doesn't make sense that adding a brig aventail to a chain/plate setup gives you the same mixing penalty as brig greaves would.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 03:23 PM CST
At the same time tho I dont think you should be able to train it effectively in the brig aventail case. I dont think any amount of combat should lock an armor skill where you are just wearing a neck piece or eye piece. In which case I'm not even sure if it should really help mitigation wise. Just seems silly to me. And I'm a multi armor person (brig and cloth) but I think you should be wearing a fairly large % to learn anything substantial.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 04:03 PM CST
>I dont think any amount of combat should lock an armor skill where you are just wearing a neck piece or eye piece.

Sometimes it comes down to fun and playability. It might not make sense, but honestly, it's a lot more fun and playable to just let people do stupid things sometimes, and doesn't break the game.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 05:39 PM CST

>I dont think any amount of combat should lock an armor skill where you are just wearing a neck piece or eye piece.

I do agree.

What I'm saying is I cant wear Chain Head, eyes, neck and gloves, and train chain very well.

Also I cant swap out the chain mask for a insignificantly hidering plate mask (thats the app not after my skills) without instantly gaining two hindrance levels.

I'm not asking to train optimally just from the mask, but putting on something that is the lowest possible hinderance (at zero ranks), with 500 ranks and having a huge penalty from it also doesn't make sense now does it?
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 05:51 PM CST
>>Chain Head, eyes, neck and gloves

That only comes out to 13% body coverage is why.... Chest, L Arm, R Arm, L Leg, R Leg, Abdomen - those are the highest % areas in order.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 05:59 PM CST
>At the same time tho I dont think you should be able to train it effectively in the brig aventail case.

Right. I think it's fine not learning much, if any experience in brig in this case. But doing this would earn you little to no experience, but it also causes a HUGE hit in encumbrance, which seems odd to me.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 06:14 PM CST

>That only comes out to 13% body coverage is why.... Chest, L Arm, R Arm, L Leg, R Leg, Abdomen - those are the highest % areas in order.

Guess I'm just outta luck then from a training perspective.

I know it might not make a lot of sense, but I feel like that's just encouraging me to carry extra sets of full body armor, retreat and swap out to train.

What I wish is that it encouraged me to make a piece by piece armor suit, but I'm not going to do that to train just two armors, and three seems near impossible from a % perspective and a hindrance one.

In the end it all sums up to sounding like my days of multi-armor training are over and that sucks. Not from a TDP perspective but just from an RP one, not to mention jousting.

Oh well.

Not happy, but like I said its a tiny drop in the bucket, I'll just take it in stride.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 06:27 PM CST
I use either Brig full body and cloth helm/gloves or Cloth full body and brig helm/gloves and I seem to train just fine. I dont watch my hinderance levels since it doesnt seem to change my effectiveness, but rank wise those set ups keep me within 10 ranks on both armor sets. And thats as a tert armor user. Ill be honest though (and keep in mind this is totally just my opinion) but I dont see the point of more than two armors except for folks who are TDP crazy or for Paladins since I think they need more than 2 armor skills. Even from an RP standpoint it just seems... cluttered. I do understand two armor set ups since having a backup is nice and I can see two fitting together better in practical application than 3+.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 06:28 PM CST
>>What I'm saying is I cant wear Chain Head, eyes, neck and gloves, and train chain very well.

Have to disagree that it's not possible to train both with this setup. I think it might have more to do with HL critters and you might be too high for them.

All of your armor:

an ordinary shield
a ring balaclava
some perfect firecat-skin leathers
some ring gloves

Light Armor: 536
Chain Armor: 480

Been playing in juvies, and head-splitters for about 30-45 minutes testing new ranged damage, and both are locked.

You haven't really given much info in how you've tested this, but I don't see any difference from 2.0 to 3.0 in how my armors are locking. If anything I'm learning quicker.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 07:09 PM CST

>Have to disagree that it's not possible to train both with this setup.

I didn't say not possible. I'm just saying how much less efficient it is than in prime.

I do get the point that they're trying to make it less efficient to train from small armor pieces but I think its way too much.

>I think it might have more to do with HL critters and you might be too high for them.

500 and 700 ranks in Dp Assassins? Is that too high?

>You haven't really given much info in how you've tested this

I did my usual combat routine in 3.0, and in prime I'd be locked in Leather and Chain by the time I was done (at least 30 minutes), In Test its 34/34 leather (which has been grinding at 34/34 for a long time) and 8/34 chain.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 07:18 PM CST
>>I do get the point that they're trying to make it less efficient to train from small armor pieces but I think its way too much.

Armor trains entirely based on % coverage. So if you want to learn better, cover more of your body with that armor type. An optimal setup would include arms or legs of the second armor type. That being said, I think we are going to up the exp from multiple pieces just a little.

Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 07:22 PM CST
>>500 and 700 ranks in Dp Assassins? Is that too high?

My guess would be no, but Kodius has surprised me with the ranks that critters have in 3.0. I believe he said the highest critters in the game (intercessors/elder dillos) are only at 850. So it might be worth trying to step up the ladder to see if there is a difference.

>>I did my usual combat routine in 3.0, and in prime I'd be locked in Leather and Chain by the time I was done (at least 30 minutes)

The length of time might also be part of the problem. If you are killing them quickly, and/or in stealth quite a bit then it'll be harder to get it locked. Another solution might be to add in another melee weapon that is going to keep you at melee with more that 1-2 critters for an extended amount of time.

Either way I wouldn't get discouraged too much. 3.0 is a big change, and is going to taking some adapting your training style to maintain the skills that you want. Some people will have a harder time than others with that.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 08:23 PM CST
>>That being said, I think we are going to up the exp from multiple pieces just a little.

FYI -- that code tweak has resulted in us learning all armor (non-worn at a slow rate) while in combat. So someone probably misplaced a () somewhere.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/06/2013 09:50 PM CST
Oof! I've forwarded that along to Socharis and he'll take a look when he returns.

Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/07/2013 03:58 AM CST
r-arm, l-arm, r-leg, l-leg... does this mean that I can wear HP on the right arm, chain on the left arm, cloth on the right leg and leather on the left?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Mechanical Lore Grand Master of M'Riss
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/07/2013 08:06 AM CST
If chance to hit left vs right side was different depending on shields or set ups, it would be so awesome making a Gladiator build. Full plate on the left arm and hand, a helmet, full plate greaves. Warpaint.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/07/2013 11:42 AM CST
>>r-arm, l-arm, r-leg, l-leg... does this mean that I can wear HP on the right arm, chain on the left arm, cloth on the right leg and leather on the left?

Maybe? It is possible some armor exists that covers only one arm or leg. None of the crafting templates are like this currently... but we could add some in the future.

Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/07/2013 11:59 AM CST
Thanks Kodius, that would be... interesting!

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Mechanical Lore Grand Master of M'Riss
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/08/2013 12:43 AM CST

Yeah that would be kinda neat, does charge without a weapon do arm armor?

Anyway, So, ok another post on this from me is probably the last thing anyone wants to read, and I don't blame you.

After several hours with armor prime and armor secondary characters, and hours of crafting armor, I want to apologize for being overly dramatic about the issue.

Call it me having a bad day, and a bad reaction or whatever and try to forgive me.

I shouldn't be learning plate armors in prime as quickly as I am with an armor tert while wearing very little plate armor.
___

That said my honest suggestion is keep the exp gains exactly as they are, based on coverage %, and decreased from 2.0 (as it is in test now), but lose the mixed armor penalty completely, or make it based on the same coverage % as exp.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/08/2013 07:13 AM CST

The mixing penalty for armor does seem harsh. Maybe the penalty could be negated for armor types based on ranks and the weights of the armor pieces. Primaries would need less ranks to wear a total weight of a particular armor type when mixing and would suffer a lower penalty when exceeding that weight.

So the penalties modifiers to hindrance would work like this (making up numbers):
Primary - 1 armor types=1.0; 2 armor types=1.05; 3 armor types=1.10; 4 armor types=1.15
Secondary - 1 armor types=1.0; 2 armor types=1.1; 3 armor types=1.2; 4 armor types=1.3
tertiary - 1 armor types=1.0; 2 armor types=1.15; 3 armor types=1.3; 4 armor types=1.45

But these penalties could be negated for each armor type up to a certain weight of that armor type based on ranks.
Primary - 20 stones each 40 ranks in an armor type
Secondary -20 stones each 50 ranks in an armor type
tertiary - 20 stones each 70 ranks in an armor type

So as an example, my armor ranks as an armor tertiary:
Leather Armor - 336.05 - 96 stones of leather
Light Chain - 328.36 - 94 stones of light chain
Light Plate - 138.09 - 39 stones of light plate
Heavy Plate - 131.69 - 37 stones of heavy plate

The way it could work is that the heavy piece being worn is considered the base armor and suffers no penalty. Each additional armor piece would be hit with the modifier unless its weight (plus the weight of pieces in its armor type already worn) is less than the armor skill allows. A weight "pool" would exist for each armor type, and it would be "filled" when an armor piece is worn. The max penalty would be applied to all armor pieces not in the armor pools. Lighter pieces would fill the pool first.

This would allow player's ranks and skillset to factor into how effective they are with multiply armors. It also allows the primaries to wear the heaviest and most protecting pieces at no penalty at much lower ranks, and if they don't have the ranks yet the mixing penalty is much lower.
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/08/2013 09:04 AM CST
Mixing penalties are already pretty generous for primaries. I'm not saying the system behind it does not need to be tweaked but from elantheapedia:

"Paladins can negate the mixing penalty. "Esentially, at 20th circle a paladin gets to ignore 1 category in the calcs, at 30th 2 and at 50th ignore 3. This means that if you have armor on from all 4 categories at 30th you'll only get the penalty for 2 and at 50th there will be no penalty since it will ignore 3 of them and assume you are only wearing 1 type." ~ GM Oolan"

Considering we are going down to only having 4 armor skills period, you are basically 'buffing' armor primaries mixing penalties as they stand.

Also its been stated GM's did not like how quickly armor hindrance was being capped, so I think the push right now is to make things take longer instead of shorter.

I imagine when armor gets its feat system that armor mixing penalty negation will be made available to everyone (and free to paladins).
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/08/2013 09:24 AM CST
>>Considering we are going down to only having 4 armor skills period, you are basically 'buffing' armor primaries mixing penalties as they stand.

As far as mixing penalties go, there are currently 4 armor categories - leather+cloth, bone, LC+HC, LP+HP. The only thing changing in 3.0 is that the 4 categories become leather+cloth+bone, LC+HC, LP, HP.

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/08/2013 07:19 PM CST
I stand corrected.

Actually I sit corrected...
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/09/2013 09:19 AM CST
It's been stated that Paladins get to ignore mixing penalties; is that a function of the armor skillset placement? As in, do barbs, traders and rangers get to ignore one mixed armor for every... I dunno, 40 circles, and all armor terts get to ignore one mixed armor for every... 60 circles?
Re: Armor, Multiple class penalty and Learning Rates 01/09/2013 10:13 AM CST
Well I imagine ideally replicating the feat system for magic but for armor would be the proper route. Based off placement you get feats as you circle, you can spend those feats on a pool of advantages. Primaries/secondaries get 2 or 1 feat for free to start off with. The issue of course would be creating enough perks so people would not be 'done' with armor perks at a relatively low circle. Magic does not have as big of an issue generally because spell slots are used for magic feats and magic spells.