Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 01:52 PM CST

"instead of 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%."

So I guess the grandfathering will be as above- and we will all be able to re-order as we see fit for the transition phase.

Factoring in our bonuses and negatives- any clerics have thoughts as to the best allocation of skills?

I really don't have a feel for it yet- and suspect I will need to work up a table of spells by skill type to get a grasp of which skill should be the 90% one, etc.
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 02:01 PM CST
<<Factoring in our bonuses and negatives- any clerics have thoughts as to the best allocation of skills?>>

if you take into account the alignment, as well as what would be good for your style of play If you powerwalk alot, attunement would be good as top magic, for example.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 02:05 PM CST
>attunement would be good as top magic

I haven't checked, but I really hope we aren't allowed to switch pre-existing skills.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 02:22 PM CST

You cannot, only warding, utility, debilitation, and augmentation.
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 02:22 PM CST
Yeah I am pretty confident that this is only for the 4 new skills (Augmentation, Dehibilitation, Utility, and Warding) since they are talking about it being a % of your current PM ranks.

Another thing to take into account is that Dehibilitation will require that you actually effect the things you hunt/cast it on to train. With that in mind you will probably want to make sure that it isn't too high that it out classes your combat ability and become difficult to train (and the same with it being too low to cast it on things although as a magic prime I think that is less likely).
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 02:36 PM CST
Yeah it would be pretty insane if the swaps worked for anything but those four.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 03:01 PM CST
Personally I'd just slot debil and TM as 90 and 80, because they require combat to train, whereas the rest don't. Makes the most sense to me, since I can sit on the river and fish and work every other magic skill etc.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 03:07 PM CST
>Personally I'd just slot debil and TM as 90 and 80, because they require combat to train, whereas the rest don't. Makes the most sense to me, since I can sit on the river and fish and work every other magic skill etc.

I don't think you can set TM, but I would agree with this logic for debil. Cyclics are the easiest to train with, so if you have a category with a nice cyclic, I'd put that at the bottom. It'll catch up in no time.
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 03:08 PM CST
>>Personally I'd just slot debil and TM as 90 and 80,

You can't slot TM anywhere. Debil you can, though.

I haven't been a fan of having high debil because it's so past my combats it barely/doesn't move.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 03:23 PM CST
>>Cyclics are the easiest to train with

Keep in mind that the more people say this (not that it is false) the more GMs recognize that they need to tweak cyclic exp just like they need to tweak AoE and multishot exp (not that they shouldn't).

I wouldn't necessarily go "cyclics are the way to go for exp" as a long term plan.

Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 06:34 PM CST
Well....thinking of it that way- I will have my top two skills above my defenses and TM, my third about level with my TM and fourth below.

What I am concerned about is having the power to cast some of our top spells effectively, and making sure that they are in one of my top two skills.

I am thinking of Debil now for my second or third skill.

How about this- any suggestions the magic skill to put at 60%?
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 06:58 PM CST
>What I am concerned about is having the power to cast some of our top spells effectively, and making sure that they are in one of my top two skills.

Remember, clerics have align, which will confer a 15% bonus to 2 skills, and 15% penalty to three, and can be changed freely, so you can potentially use it to boost lacking skills.

>How about this- any suggestions the magic skill to put at 60%?

First blush? Utility. The only real utility spell clerics have is rezz, and that's a bottom priority for me They have a lot of spells in warding, and a solid debil arsenal via HyH. One school of thought would be to just look at what you're going to cast a lot, and make it your top choice. The other, would be to make the lesser used spells a top choice so you have more wiggle room, since you're going to be using that skill less, starting with a higher base rank is beneficial.

Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 07:29 PM CST
>>The only real utility spell clerics have is rezz

and rejuvenation, uncurse, idon's theft, shield of light, divine radiance, vigil, bless, murrula's flames, and osrel meraud :P

Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 07:34 PM CST
Well now I look like an idiot. Thanks Tev.

Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 08:22 PM CST
You forgot EF. I win!

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Magic Grandfathering 01/15/2013 08:24 PM CST
>>You forgot EF. I win!

I blame those crazy GMs who had it listed as targeted. :(