Align 11/30/2012 11:38 PM CST
Another concern: when, in several more years, design philosophy changes, and other guilds magic becomes more powerful or cleric magic is tweaked to be less omgbbq powerful, clerics are still going to have the nasty net penalty from align. See HH design under 'new' AoE TM model years ago, which was scrapped, but left clerics with a less-than-amazing aoe TM spell because it was in place and no one was going to re-evaluate it for a lot of reasons. But the TM concept/model changed, and even GMs agreed HH wasn't a stellar spell.

Once a system goes into place, it's much more difficult to get it removed/changed. Even if the central concept behind it is no longer valid. It's a huge hanging blade of pain for clerics, with a lot of bad potential in the future.

I would honestly rather see magic power tweaked down to give align a net 0 +/- (two skills bumped, two skills burned), or a much smaller penalty, if we must. Something in the single digits, prefferably 5%.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
[bug?/request] Align 12/01/2012 09:47 PM CST
Align drains about four levels and has a minimum req for devotion, but it does not teach Theurgy at all. Is this intended? I like the concept of switching alignment based on task at hand and think it would be neat to learn from it.
Re: [bug?/request] Align 12/01/2012 10:23 PM CST
> Align drains about four levels and has a minimum req for devotion, but it does not teach Theurgy at all. Is this intended? I like the concept of switching alignment based on task at hand and think it would be neat to learn from it.

I'm going to guess they don't want people alignment dancing to learn theurgy, as amusing as that might be mentally for me.

I'm also wondering if they intend/desire for clerics to swap alignments frequently. If it's a free, easy, no penalty, action, align stops being a penalty or drawback, and stars being a free 15% buff to 2 skills.

Re: [bug?/request] Align 12/01/2012 10:44 PM CST
Actually, it does train Theurgy, albeit far less than what it costs for devotion. Also it doesn't scale the gain based on how big your pool sizes are, like rituals and communes do, so it can seem pretty tiny at higher circles.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: [bug?/request] Align 12/01/2012 11:35 PM CST
It was a nice dream. :)
Re: [bug?/request] Align 12/02/2012 02:58 AM CST
>>I'm also wondering if they intend/desire for clerics to swap alignments frequently. If it's a free, easy, no >>penalty, action, align stops being a penalty or drawback, and stars being a free 15% buff to 2 skills.

I sort of look at it this way. The devotion hit isn't too bad, and yeah the -15% to two skills kind of stinks, but if you pick your alignment based on the tasks you want to do at the time, the 15% bonus turns out to be really quite good.

There is timer on how often you can swtich your alignment, but really in the long run I think it's not so bad.

I choose to look at this as a positive thing rather than looking at it as a hinderance.

Sure beats having the spellbook gutted.
Re: [bug?/request] Align 12/02/2012 07:27 AM CST
>and yeah the -15% to two skills kind of stinks

3 skills. Bonuses 2, penalizes 3. That's important. It's a net penalty, and that's the requirement to balance cleric magic. Which I still think is dangerous and crippling when considering power creep later.