Strike 12/27/2012 01:39 AM CST
I think Gort has repeatedly noted the unbalance of some roars under certain circumstances, but it's worth repeating again after seeing it first-hand.

87 charisma vs 99 disc, roar strike can be chained to keep the defender stunned for, as we counted, 24 roars, at 20-30 seconds a stun each. Note, this is not chain stunning, this is just roaring over and over as soon as the stun ends.
Roars 3.0 12/27/2012 05:43 AM CST
I am making this a new thread so as not to hijack the one dedicated to Strike.

>>I think Gort has repeatedly noted the unbalance of some roars under certain circumstances

Roars seem seriously odd still. I haven't mentioned anything in a while, since Kodius was slated to look at it last I heard. But since it came up... Example: A baby Barb with 47 ranks of Debilitation. I gain ~3 mind states per roar (using roar area) vs. three musk hogs... but vs. two forager goblins and on hog, less than one mind state. I understand that 47 ranks might be a bit much to expect it to learn well on goblins... but then why would it learn so well against the easier hogs? All roars were successful for anyone that might wonder.

This was a while back, but I haven't heard of anything changing since I tested with this character.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 06:06 AM CST
>>87 charisma vs 99 disc, roar strike can be chained to keep the defender stunned for, as we counted, 24 roars, at 20-30 seconds a stun each. Note, this is not chain stunning, this is just roaring over and over as soon as the stun ends.

Gort mentioned to me that voice levels doesn't seem to be functioning properly, which is why he was able to roar you consecutive times. I'm sure Kodius will fix it up when he gets the chance.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 06:56 AM CST
At the time I don't think it was Strike for me, it was Roar Wail which kept me immobilized for 20-60 seconds each roar.

The thing is, Gort couldn't roar me normally when I had Redeemer's Pride up; however once he used a roar mask, he was all of a sudden able to instantly destroy my entire Redeemer's Pride with a single roar and immobilize me for the same 20-60 seconds, all for the cost of a few RT of activating the mask, which he could apparently repeat as many times as he liked.

So, infinite roars(apparently roars don't drain hardly any Inner Fire) + infinite use of roar masks(small RT to activate) = infinite completely destroyed barrier spells against a Bard with 99/99/99 in Discipline, Intelligence and Wisdom respectively. This is something not even Traim was able to accomplish with higher Mind stats :P

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 05:52 PM CST
Barb roars have always seemed to give crazy long (stun) (immobile) durations. I can't even get more than 20-25 seconds immobilization on a noob with my necro, and thats vaaastly outclassing them.

As far as redeemers pride though, i'm sure its acting like any other barrier spell i've tried, its either it blocks it all or if it breaks through your barrier then it will do the same duration as without the barrier. They don't seem to lessen the effects of disablers at least if they break them in the first place.
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 06:03 PM CST
<<all for the cost of a few RT of activating the mask,>>

i keep seeing posts about this, I have a roar helm <from previous fest> doesn't have any "study" or anything, how exactly is this "activated"? I've not noticed any verbs with my helm, I just wear it.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 06:05 PM CST
Could be wrong, but I think you use roar helm to activate it.
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 06:14 PM CST
I think redeemers pride is like psy shield, and not like shear (and other barriers in that vein you might be thinking of) in that RP should ablatively decrease based upon the strength of the success of the incoming spell. As Leilond noted, this type of barrier is about impossible to quickly kill or bypass (unlike shear etc) but it sounds like there's a certain roar set up that will do it. For reference, it takes me (at pretty equivalent relevant stats) a handful of max 100 MB casts to do to redeemers pride what that single roar did.
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 06:23 PM CST
Just tested out PV immobilization times, cast 60 mana cast that immobilized for 20 seconds, and a 100 mana cast that lasted for 20 seconds. It would seem that PV has a cap on it of 20 seconds from what i could tell. This makes me sadface because I have fought a at level barb before and they roared my face off to the effect that I probably could have went and made myself a sandwich before that dang roar wore off.

I outclass the person I was PVing by around 40 stat points in mentals
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 07:27 PM CST
>>This makes me sadface because I have fought a at level barb before and they roared my face off to the effect that I probably could have went and made myself a sandwich before that dang roar wore off.

Are you talking about test or Prime? The insane durations are only a Prime thing, and roars have changed significantly in test. In Prime you'd have more than enough time to go make a full course dinner, then take a nap afterwards. In 3.0 the effects shouldn't last nearly as long so if they are lasting longer than intended (which is 20'ish seconds I believe for max success) then Kodius should take another look at them. Voice levels aren't working properly so he'll have to look into that too.

>>I think redeemers pride is like psy shield, and not like shear (and other barriers in that vein you might be thinking of) in that RP should ablatively decrease based upon the strength of the success of the incoming spell. As Leilond noted, this type of barrier is about impossible to quickly kill or bypass (unlike shear etc) but it sounds like there's a certain roar set up that will do it. For reference, it takes me (at pretty equivalent relevant stats) a handful of max 100 MB casts to do to redeemers pride what that single roar did.

Here's the only concern I have: it's impossible to get off a handful of roars (I don't think combos exist anymore) at full power without screwing up voice levels. Each roar lowers voice level after the first roar I will never get off another full power roar unless I wait 90 seconds or so for my voice to recover. In practice, when all else is functioning properly, it would seem that a Bard could just throw up RP and become roar-proof, since I'll never have the voice to be able to roar enough times at max power to bring it down.

Or am I completely misunderstanding how RP works?

Other than that concern, I completely agree. No one roar should be able to accomplish that.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 08:10 PM CST
Yeah I was talking about at prime, though I based my experience in prime off some of the numbers Leilond was talking about 20-60 second immobilize times. I was referring to my experience in prime because it seemed in prime it wasn't abnormal to see 60 second stuns from roars which is crazy.

<The thing is, Gort couldn't roar me normally when I had Redeemer's Pride up; however once he used a roar mask, he was all of a sudden able to instantly destroy my entire Redeemer's Pride with a single roar and immobilize me for the same 20-60 seconds, all for the cost of a few RT of activating the mask, which he could apparently repeat as many times as he liked.
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 08:13 PM CST
>>how exactly is this "activated"?
>>Could be wrong, but I think you use roar helm to activate it.

It's <scream> helm, not <roar>.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 09:50 PM CST
Just a note that strike does not trigger psy, which means there's a bug or it's not a vs will contest roar. Wail triggers psy. I believe redeemers pride is a will barrier like psy (i.e. it provides no defense against strike) but I could be wrong and it could do more. It might block strike too.

Vin, are roars in 3.0 supposed to go off of voice level and IF? For some reason, I thought voice level was scrapped and roars were set to use small bits of IF as fuel.
Re: Strike 12/27/2012 10:05 PM CST
Redeemer's pride says it provides protection vs fear and will attacks. I thought all barbarian roars were fear attacks, I guess not.
Re: Strike 12/28/2012 02:51 AM CST
>>Vin, are roars in 3.0 supposed to go off of voice level and IF? For some reason, I thought voice level was scrapped and roars were set to use small bits of IF as fuel.

Roars 3.0 use voice level to determine whether you are able to roar again or not, but as I understand it, voice level has no bearing on potency or duration. That is all governed by Debilitation ranks. According to Kodius they do use a teeny tiny bit of IF, but the amount is so small that neither I nor any other Barb I have talked to can even tell it happened.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Strike 12/28/2012 04:19 AM CST
Yup, as Vawn said they work off both, but voice level seems to be broken in test.

>>Redeemer's pride says it provides protection vs fear and will attacks. I thought all barbarian roars were fear attacks, I guess not.

Not 100% sure but I think all roars are supposed to be vs fear or will, so something seems to be broken on the roaring side of things.

-GM Abasha
Re: Strike 12/28/2012 09:44 AM CST
>>but voice level seems to be broken in test

I've been wondering about this, since in Plat I certainly don't have infinite voice. Though if I only roar every 60 seconds I probably would. Every 20 secounds I will certainly run out before I hit a dozen even with basic roars.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Strike 12/28/2012 04:16 PM CST
Due to the Holiday I've not had a chance to rewrite debilitation exp for Barbs. I'll also look at the chain-affecting.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Strike 12/28/2012 04:46 PM CST
>>I'll also look at the chain-affecting.

Also the strength please.

I think it's a little crazy that a roar mask can enable a Barbarian with lower stats in the contest to totally destroy a fully capped vs Fear/Will barrier with one roar :(

~ Leilond
Re: Strike 12/28/2012 05:03 PM CST
>> I think it's a little crazy that a roar mask can enable a Barbarian with lower stats in the contest to totally destroy a fully capped vs Fear/Will barrier with one roar :(

Not just a mask, that was paint + cyclone + mask. Not the ideal paint either, just a random one. Honestly, I think Cyclone does more for that than the mask does.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Strike 12/28/2012 05:06 PM CST
>>I think it's a little crazy that a roar mask can enable a Barbarian with lower stats in the contest to totally destroy a fully capped vs Fear/Will barrier with one roar :(

Which roar? We're thinking it's possible that Strike might be vs. Fortitude.

Also yeah, we'll get Kodius on roars. There's some hax that needs to be killed. I believe there's no cap on intimidation bonus in prime, so perhaps this rolled over into test/3.0 as well.

-GM Abasha
Re: Strike 12/28/2012 05:07 PM CST
>>Which roar?

Roar Wail, the one that immobilizes.

~ Leilond
Re: Strike 12/28/2012 05:27 PM CST
Maybe roar helms need to be switched to reducing the voice cost for roars, instead of a bonus to effectiness?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Strike 12/29/2012 11:05 AM CST
<<...a fully capped vs Fear/Will barrier...>>

<<We're thinking it's possible that Strike might be vs. Fortitude.>>

That wouldn't really matter...it would still be Fear vs. Fortitude, wouldn't it? Fear is on the attack side, so the barrier in question, assuming it works as described, would protect from Fear vs. Anything and Anything vs. Will. Presumably all roars would be Fear vs. Something, since that's sort of the whole premise behind roars.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Strike 12/29/2012 01:11 PM CST
I don't know of any FEAR barriers. I'll have to double check that fear cloaks are working properly though.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Strike 12/29/2012 01:14 PM CST
> I don't know of any FEAR barriers.

REPR.
Re: Strike 12/29/2012 02:08 PM CST
I'm confused. Fear is the offensive side of the contest, I don't know of any barrier that works by addressing the offensive side of the contest and not the defensive side. Is REPR like that? As I understand it, roars are Fear vs X, with Wail being Fear vs Will (triggers psy) and Strike most likely being Fear vs Fortitude (not triggering psy). That's pretty neat if there are barriers that actually block the offensive side of things, but also seems like it might be dangerously overpowered, particularly in the case of vs barbs, who have all of their debilitation attacks based off the same offensive (Fear).

Does roar strike trigger REPR?
Re: Strike 12/29/2012 02:15 PM CST
> Is REPR like that?

Here's what Melete said when she released it:

> It is a non-cyclic spell that creates an ablative barrier which protects against fear attacks and in versus will contests.
Re: Strike 12/29/2012 02:24 PM CST
>>Does roar strike trigger REPR?

Not sure, any Barbs around to test?

~ Leilond
Re: Strike 12/29/2012 09:00 PM CST
>>Maybe roar helms need to be switched to reducing the voice cost for roars, instead of a bonus to effectiness?

I think bonus to effectiveness is fine, I believe the problem is that intimidation bonus is indeed uncapped, and there are half a dozen readily-available ways for Barbarians to bonus intimidation and very few ways to boost intimidation resistance, most of which are available only to Bards/Moon Mages.

Once voice level is instituted, I'd see where to go from there, durations may need to be fixed too, though I'm not sure if that's a product of roars in particular or the high-end successes of disablers still needing a downtweak.
Re: Strike 12/30/2012 12:58 AM CST
Warpaint isn't giving an intimidation bonus anymore. They can give a dinky charisma bonus, which is a small plus for roars and not really a balance concern. The bonus from cyclone is faster voice regen. The roar helm bonus does have a cap, and is in line with boosters like WM pathways.

I spoke with the team a bit today, and am going to dive into balancing our Barb stuff a bit more next week.