when is immobile not really immobile? 12/15/2012 05:56 AM CST
I am training debilitation in caracals by roaring, in consecutive order, the 3 roars I've learned:
1. anger
2. death's embrace
3. wail

However, after roaring all 3, this happens:

A caracal growls and shakes off its impaired balance.
>look
[Fala Inisharon, The Silvery Cypress]
The branch takes a sharp, sudden bend, possibly in a direction set when the tree was young, and the limb grew toward a patch of sunlight. The obscuring moss partly masks the turn, and an unwary traveller risks a dangerous fall. You also see a caracal that appears immobilized.
Obvious paths: east, northwest.

As you can see, the caracal is still supposed to be immobile. How then does it "shake off the impaired balance" that I gave it with "anger"?

I know as a PC, if I am stunned as a result of whatever <JJ or something>, I cannot take any actions, growling or otherwise. How is the critter able to? I can see it wearing off and giving the message if it had nothing further effecting it, but it does.

A 3rd debilitative effect should, imho, override its "recovery" from the first.

-barbarian-

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: when is immobile not really immobile? 12/15/2012 06:13 AM CST
>>How then does it "shake off the impaired balance" that I gave it with "anger"?

As you hinted at, this is the ability's duration running it's course. Each separate disabler(etc.) that is on a critter will message when it wears off, even if the critter is still under other effects. Just because it messages as "shaking off" does not mean it is literally shaking.

>>A 3rd debilitative effect should, imho, override its "recovery" from the first.

It doesn't, if I take your meaning. Are you really suggesting that one ability that normally has a (made up) duration of 15 minutes should be extended past that duration because of a second that has a normal duration of 20 minutes?

~The Prydaen~
Re: when is immobile not really immobile? 12/15/2012 08:08 AM CST
Something pointed out in, I think this folder, the DR game engine can only message 1 status effect for a critter (but yes, it handles multiple for players) so that may be part of what you're seeing. Though as Talo said, it's also just the generic ability expiration messaging for a specific ability, the other option is to have the game scream ABILITY X HAS ENDED ON CRITTER Y in caps. The fluff messaging is less immersion breaking.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: when is immobile not really immobile? 12/15/2012 10:58 AM CST
The messaging indicates your roar's effect has ended, and the creature is now succeptable to applying another. I can always hide the messaging when the target is immobilized but the effect will still end. This penalizes the player because you'll have no clue that the enemy is now succeptable again to further debilitation.

And while immobile prevents deliberate action, some reflex action are still possible. For example, immobilized targets still get some defense, and don't immediately fall prone when hit which indicates some muscular and balance action taking place.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes