Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 02:47 AM CST
Alright, so here's where I wanted to post all my thoughts and give Kodius a heads up on where we're at as a guild right now. Just throwing out my observations and anyone can feel free to add their own experiences. I give Barbs 3.0 an A. For the first time ever, I feel that when we get Styles/Maneuvers and our other feats, we will be complete. The abilities satisfy a million things and leave little room for us to beg for more hax. :D

Forms:

Dragon - Kodius said it boosts to-hit, and is working fine. Hopefully it has a to-hit boost that rivals the best in the game. Once/if he changes Wildfire to focus more on damage then we should be ok.

Python - Haven't tested it much, but of course we gotta have a parry boost. It would be nice if it also had some kind of random riposte capability, but that's just an idea that's not necessary.

Badger - Very fitting and useful. There is a messaging bug for this; everytime it is contested the messaging says the Badger form ends but when I check with Meditation Power it's still going.

Traim gestures at you.
A flicker of prismatic light envelops you!
Your ferocious stance completely erodes away.
You feel your inner fire cool as you finish practicing the Form of the Badger.
The light blinds you for a moment, causing you to stop in your tracks and try to clear the spots from your eyes.

You are currently practicing the Badger Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.

Toad - Will use this a lot, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Monkey - As I mentioned already I wouldn't mind seeing it either give us some sort of aim-reducing function or enormous reflex boost (of course I'm not sure how much it currently does right now). Preferably the former. :D

Bear - Strength boost is great, but what exactly does the Warding boost do? Boost the Warding skill or the actual effects of our warding abilities?

Turtle - Great, probably one of my favorite forms.

Swan - Love it, very unique too.

Buffalo - Never tried it but I imagine it has its uses for some.

Piranha - Great form, another must-have.

Eagle - Kodius already mentioned he's looking into fixing it for thrown weapons; hopefully it has a to-hit boost that rivals the best ones in the game.

Owl - No actual testing at all, but this is something we definitely need.

Wolverine - Never tried it. Wonder how fast we are able to get to melee. Anyone able to test it? If not I will.

Panther - Never grabbed it and never will. It could be boosting stealth by one rank and I would never notice. :D

Berserks:

Wildfire - As Kodius hinted at, I'd like this to be our premier damaging ability. Even if it became a little more costly on inner fire and costed an additional slot, I want to get some bang from this berserk.

Earthquake - Not released yet, but if it works anything like Rimefang for WMs then I'd be happy.

>ask agonar about earthquake
Tilting his head slightly to the side, Agonar says slowly, " ! Earthquake"

Even Agonar doesn't know what it's like... ahahaha.

Avalanche - Never tried it but a fatigue boosting ability could never be useless.

Volcano - One of our most badass abilities. Not sure if Kodius fixed it to properly drain inner fire each time it saves you but it definitely gives us some mean flavor. Love stuff like this.

Famine - This goes along the same vein as Avalanche.

Cyclone - Absolutely wonderful for roaring. Great ability that I'll be using from time to time.

Tsunami - Didn't notice anything special from this berserk, but if it does as it's suppose to then it's definitely suited for the guild.

Tornado - Simply essential.

Flashflood - Didn't get to test this like I wanted because I keep forgetting about it. I remember seeing it work nicely though, but either way I'm 100% sure I'll be picking it up. Must-have IMO.

Meditations:

Tenacity - Amazing meditation, makes a big difference. Will use this every time I want to put up a strong defensive setup.

Unyielding - Never tried it.

Focus - Never tried it.

Flame - A necessity. I did notice that the message we get doesn't seem to correlate to our actual inner fire. For example, I've been sitting at 33% Inner Fire and here's the message right now: Surrounding your reflection is a bright aura of beautiful flames extending a quarter of your height above you.

Contemplation - Love it. Didn't do extensive testing but judging from what it's supposed to do it's one I'll be using often.

Serenity - Fantastic. Still searching for a great setup for it with Swan form, and I think I might know how I want to do it. Initially I thought it shouldn't be overcome 100% of the time from high mana spells, but I think longevity is a key component in making this meditation so good.

Dispel - Great in concept, but I think it needs a little bit more. Even at the cost of more inner fire I'd like to see it get some kind of continuous dispelling effect instead of us having to run out of combat to use it just to get that weak little spell off us. My preference would be to allow this to give us some sort of anti-scry ability, and despite what Armifer says I think Barbs should have some kind of anti-scry/anti-familiar/shadowling ability (not our fault our guild hasn't had any significant development in many years and other less-deserving guilds got them first). ;)

Sacrifice - The one ability I'm waiting on the most. Essential to my character's RP and I can't wait.

Bastion - Great, no complaints at all. Haven't tried it but I'm sure I'll need it so I will be grabbing it.

Seek - Haven't tried it.

Staunch - Bleeders don't seem to matter much in 3.0 at this moment, but that will probably change. Still, I imagine this would be a nice ability to have especially during invasions.

Prediction - Excellent meditation. Of course I'd like it to kick in just a little faster and have messaging that makes us look a little less wimpy, but I might be asking too much. I may not have the slots to pick this up but I think it would be great for testing against critters that may be stronger than you.

I'll skip roars since I'm not sure just how well disablers/debuffs are working in test right now.

Styles/Maneuvers:

Looking forward to seeing these. Will we be able to pick these from different Paths, or will it be set up so that we can only pick these from the Path we choose?

Experience:

As I said before, I think Warding experience could use a boost. And of course, Debilitation experience needs it.

Also, just by spamming several berserks, stopping them, then spamming them some more (starting with full inner fire) I can mind lock both Augmentation and Inner Fire in no time. I didn't record how long but it was definitely under a minute, so this might have to be toned down some.

Inner Fire:

Kodius already mentioned that he's considering some options to help with Inner Fire. I wouldn't mind having a meditation that restores Inner Fire to full in minutes, but cannot be used with any other ability. I think that would work vastly different from mana yet give us our own internal way of rebuilding ourselves. Add in some nifty messaging and non-annoying ways we could get distracted (like being attacked), and even a cooldown period. Whatever penalties to using it, I think it would help big time.

Hope this helps to give an idea on where I think we are as a guild. Thanks!

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 02:59 AM CST
Oh, I also wanted to add this...

Are we supposed to be getting a Hurricane berserk? Just wondering.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 08:02 AM CST
Good summary, Vinjince. I haven't been in test for a couple weeks now, so I am uncertain if anything has changed post-wipe. My biggest hangup is our passive IF regen now vs 3.0. I am not a fan of the 100% passive regen getting squashed down to 33%. Honestly, I don't really see the point. I do hope that part is revisited. Perhaps a system that starts at 33% for circles 0-50, ramps up to 66% for 51-100, and ramps up again to 100% at 101+. Although, if the inner fire skill determines the rate of IF usage, I don't see the harm in all of us having 100% passive IF regen. Why not in test allow it to regen to 100% and see what happens? I thought I read something like it takes 1 hr to refill IF after a death in 3.0 being part of the reason, but that is an extreme stretch of how long it really takes. It takes longer for my spirit to recover than my IF.

Other than that, I think the concepts are very cool. It's clear a lot of work went into our guild's development, and is ongoing. I love the idea of our abilities being dynamic and stackable. I also like that our systems are more intertwined with other guilds' systems now.

Squanto: think they'll make it so we can swim to the islands?
Codiax: probably not but who knows
Squanto: maybe moonwalk faster on the iceroad with enough reflex, athletics & xibar up?
Codiax: lol yeah totally. have to sing ice ice baby to make it work
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 08:43 AM CST
>>Perhaps a system that starts at 33% for circles 0-50, ramps up to 66% for 51-100, and ramps up again to 100% at 101+. Although, if the inner fire skill determines the rate of IF usage, I don't see the harm in all of us having 100% passive IF regen. Why not in test allow it to regen to 100% and see what happens? I thought I read something like it takes 1 hr to refill IF after a death in 3.0 being part of the reason, but that is an extreme stretch of how long it really takes. It takes longer for my spirit to recover than my IF.

I don't think this would work. Some of the Barbarian abilities are incredibly OP, and the system (with forms killing passive regen, berserks costing a lot, etc.) has clearly been designed to force us to make some choices, like Bard enchantes or cyclical spells. I doubt it's intended that we walk around with Swan/Badger/Turtle/Toad/Serenity all the time while roaring and using Cyclone and Wildfire berserks.

I personally would be happy with the passive limit being increased to 40% and IF decay out of combat being slowed down a bit. I think it needs a tweak, not a kick in the pants.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 09:20 AM CST
I've asked Kodius about it when I could peg him down in chat, and my understanding (as terrible as it is) is that they system was written specifically with the IF limitations in mind. I'm guessing, like clerics and the align penalty, the Barb buff system is too overtly powerful without a check system put on it; allowing them to be 100% without some drawback would result in redesign of the skills, lowering their overall effectiveness.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 09:59 AM CST
>>the Barb buff system is too overtly powerful without a check system put on it; allowing them to be 100% without some drawback would result in redesign of the skills, lowering their overall effectiveness.

This was how I understood his reply when asked about it in Plat, too. 100% passive regen would result in serious nerfing of abilities.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 10:04 AM CST
Ignore everything I said about the warding skill. By using meditations I can lock it reasonably well. Bastion seems to work really well for training it outside of combat, and Tenacity is a great choice for training Warding in-combat. Serenity uses too much Inner Fire but there does appear to be a downtime to experience gain when using the same meditation over and over (30 or so seconds would be my guess), so alternating between those 3 will ramp up Warding pretty fast. Of course, that is pretty much impossible due to the toll on Inner Fire, so using Bastion and waiting/collecting rocks in between has been working out nicely for me.

So far I think I have a pretty good method in training all the skills I will train in 3.0. I'm able to mind lock everything in dillos (except LT for some reason, I can't get it off dabbling on juvies/adults/elders) good enough so far.

-GM Abasha
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 10:20 AM CST
>>This was how I understood his reply when asked about it in Plat, too. 100% passive regen would result in serious nerfing of abilities.

Indeed. Truthfully, I just think we need some kind of ability that would help us during out-of-hunting situations. DA put it nicely I think... we don't need 100% passive regen, but some tweaking in some form or fashion would help tremendously. As of right now, it feels like Inner Fire is designed only with hunting in mind. Barbarians naturally are big on sparring, pit fights, and lots of other non-hunting things.

I would go with two changes:

1. Keep the passive regen cap at 33% but eliminate leakage only for inner fire gained through hunting. If I spend time hunting and getting my inner fire full, it should stay full unless I use abilities to drain it.

This would solve the 'being forced to run in-and-out of combat every 20 minutes' problem.

2. Give us a way outside combat to refill it. Make it like a real meditation, one that takes five minutes. It wouldn't regen Inner Fire at all, it would just fill it completely after the meditation ends. Allow leakage for this, so that the best way to gain inner fire remains through hunting because you get to keep it. The Barbarian cannot use any other abilities while using this meditation. The Barbarian cannot speak, perform any action, or defend himself unless he wants to break his concentration and lose the time spent since he didn't regen any Inner Fire during the meditation. Throw in some badass messaging and there you go.

This would solve the 'being forced to run in-and-out of combat after every spar' problem.

I know those suggestions might be overly-complicated but I don't think they would suddenly make Barbarians OP. Just throwing out some ideas, that's all. :)

-GM Abasha
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 10:29 AM CST
Those sound like reasonable suggestions. I still think 33% is a bit on the low side, so an uptweak would be very welcome.

Squanto: think they'll make it so we can swim to the islands?
Codiax: probably not but who knows
Squanto: maybe moonwalk faster on the iceroad with enough reflex, athletics & xibar up?
Codiax: lol yeah totally. have to sing ice ice baby to make it work
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 10:32 AM CST
heh just worked out a post a lot like yours. I did delete the meditate part though cause I didnt think people would want to see barbarians sitting around meditating all the time :)

My concerns are similar, only effectively having 33% for gladiatorial events because of the queue. I like the idea of being able to hold IF up, I also would really like to see IF gained during the fight, either by taking damage or dealing it. If it capped at 33% gained from it I don't think it would be unbalancing because I assume we balance out somewhere above the 33%.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 11:03 AM CST
> Those sound like reasonable suggestions. I still think 33% is a bit on the low side, so an uptweak would be very welcome.

I could actually see it scaling, so that towards 150th or 200th you get 50% of your total pool, seems like a reasonable mechanic.

It does bear to mention that IF lacks a lot of the limitations of mana; it's easily (ok, that's arguable at best) replinished by killing things, it's not room based, and some other aspects that give it a minor leg up over mana systems.

Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 11:47 AM CST
>>and some other aspects that give it a minor leg up over mana systems.

Like having to be in the wilderness for several of your spells to work or your skills to stay at level?

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 12:05 PM CST
I just tried in test and without gathering a single kill I was able to get two meditations and two forms up. I had plenty of fire for that and since the to-hit bonus of Dragon and Eagle is pretty useless at my level, I didn't bother to even start them. Instead I used Swan up to get Warding moving.

Your body tightens as you draw your arms together in a sinuous, flowing motion, mimicking the form you were trained to adopt for this roar of warning.
Kodius fled to the west in terror!
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 12:40 PM CST
Possibly dumb question...

What if Kodius made your current 33% actually your 100% and allowed Barbarians to hit up to 300% their IF?

It feels like the whole "our IF only stays at a percentage of what it can be" is mainly a psychological thing more than anything else.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 01:03 PM CST
>Like having to be in the wilderness for several of your spells to work or your skills to stay at level?

Ranger complaints to the equine graveyard. This is neither the time nor the place for the rehashed fights we're all tired of.

Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 02:27 PM CST
>>What if Kodius made your current 33% actually your 100% and allowed Barbarians to hit up to 300% their IF?

From a personal perspective, I was (and am) concerned only with limit to which being outside will hamstring us. The number quoted number of 2-3 seemed very low if the idea was to move towards a magic-like system of less-powerful buffs with more going at once.

After playing with it more, I'm not quite so worried. I'm not sure if the numbers make any psychological difference, but certainly it takes some getting used to the idea of having a barbarian equivalent of wilderness/urban bonus, which moons are up, or confidence. The beauty of the guild has always been push and go - not that that's disappeared, simply that there are more factors to consider now.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 03:07 PM CST
Well, in another thread I showed how it is possible to keep 6 abilities up, out of combat, indefinately. It will take some time for people to learn how best to utilize their abilities and when to use each one.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 04:01 PM CST
I'm sorry but my experience so far has been by far underwhelming. My barb just isn't as effective in test as he is in prime. I've had to move back down the critter ladder to not get completely owned. My barb isn't very big (57th) circle, but I just can't take gam chagas. They were a slight stretch but still doable thanks to abilities now it's a death sentence.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 04:31 PM CST
>I've had to move back down the critter ladder

How are you learning while doing so? Game changes have made critters teach to different break points, so you might be in a perfect spot now. It's infuriating to feel demoted, I agree.

Which abilities were you using in prime? Which were you using in test? There may be a few ways to swap things around and make you more durable.

Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 05:19 PM CST
The entire game changed, so you may need to move up or down the ladder a bit. What skills do you have, what stances are you using, and what abilities are you activating to attack them?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 05:53 PM CST
<<<Wolverine - Never tried it. Wonder how fast we are able to get to melee. Anyone able to test it? If not I will.>>

Great post vinj, from what I've seen wolverine could se a slight bump in effectiveness, it didn't help engagement enough to warrant choosing it IMO.

I also hope warding is learnable without meditations.

The technique of the Banshee's Wail flows fluidly through your mind an instant before you unleash its power through a roar of fatal intent.
Raesh appears to be frozen with fear!
Roundtime: 2 sec.

- Buuwl
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/09/2012 11:46 PM CST
I'll send you a full email tomorrow Kodius with all stats skills and abilities tried
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/10/2012 09:58 PM CST
And with those changes that would mean barbarians will not necessarily be as effective after 3.0 as they were before. I tried using Monkey, contemplation and dragon to hunt gam'chagas with and it hasn't worked out very well at all. Not as good as badger by itself or stone berserk.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/10/2012 10:19 PM CST
Keep in mind, monsters are now very difficult, you may independant of your guild abilities have to change hunting grounds. I.E Something you could hunt with NO buffs in 2.0 might be hard in 3.0, and your buffs are not going to likely compensate for the difference (while bland, barbarian buffs were VERY effective in 2.0...VERY).

Thats not a barb hate thing either, lots of paladins were only able to hunt places due to the insane power of HoW in 2.0, and thats going away, so I feel lots of guilds are going to have to refind out where they fall.

That said, abilities all fall within SoI now, cost slots based on how many things they buff, etc, so I think for the first time in a long time we have some pretty nice balance. For lesser powered guilds it will feel like an upgrade, for others it might feel like a nerf.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/10/2012 10:24 PM CST
Craetos -

Like REWYN said, so many variables about creatures, characters, and core combat have changed that it's quite possible the creature(s) you are trying to hunt have simply become harder.

Also, keep in mind there is a much more severe penalty for engaging multiple critters now, a stiffer penalty for mixing armors and hindrance, many things. I'm not sure if you're used to hunting four at once. The question isn't "can I hunt what I was hunting before?" The question is "can I learn effectively and safely against critters at my skill level?"
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/10/2012 10:30 PM CST
>>Also, keep in mind there is a much more severe penalty for engaging multiple critters now

Can Kodius or someone confirm that this isn't the case anymore? I don't think the "you only want to have two critters on you" thing was ever put into the actual plans.

I don't feel like I'm at a more severe penalty outside of hit rates going up across the board. So four critters hitting you 5% of the time just ends up hurting more than one critter hitting you 5% of the time.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/10/2012 10:35 PM CST

I don't mix armor atleast not in 3.0 I only wear chain. My current hinderance is as follows, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is somewhat hindered. I used stone to hunt 4 at once now I can't hunt 1. I'm sorry but after playing this game off and on since 2000 I'm just not sure how up I am to starting all over. Especially seeing as we were outright told barbarian effectiveness wouldn't lessen.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/10/2012 10:41 PM CST
>>I don't mix armor atleast not in 3.0 I only wear chain. My current hinderance is as follows, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is somewhat hindered. I used stone to hunt 4 at once now I can't hunt 1. I'm sorry but after playing this game off and on since 2000 I'm just not sure how up I am to starting all over. Especially seeing as we were outright told barbarian effectiveness wouldn't lessen.

Your charging windmills.

While your effectiveness may not have lessened, monsters HAVE changed.

Do this, in prime, test an hour with your character WITHOUT buffs, do the same in Test, compare and contrast.

My expectation is the monster in question is whats different in Test, not your relative capabilities.

Because you seemed to have missed this in my earlier post, I want to repeat it once more: monsters have changed significantly on test, MANY people have had to change hunting grounds. The caps that monsters taught to have been altered, and all sorts of stuff, so while you are making this a guild issue (omg barbarian nerfed!) it is more likely that while these monsters were at your level in prime, they are now above your level in test. If thats enough to make you freak out, thats sad, cause this effects everyone (not just barbs) but is needed for the long term health of the game.

If thats not the case, and you had some power in prime that was powerful enough to let you hunt 4 of something that you normally could not hunt 1 of, then I suspect that ability was broken.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/10/2012 10:54 PM CST
I only need the berserk for 4 I can handle 3 with no problem without buffs. Now I can't handle 1. Call it what you will nerf or otherwise, if I was at the point where I could handle 3 with no buffs I wasn't at the point where I could barely hunt the critter without the ability, this puts me more than halfway through their learning range. And I didn't miss what you said, I was answering Diminished.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/10/2012 11:00 PM CST
Learning rates have changed, is my point. All the critter soft/hard cap data in Elanthipedia will have to be amended once 3.0 comes out. Have you tried other critters in the same range? Have you tried stepping down the ladder to see if you can learn effectively on a weaker critter?
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/10/2012 11:11 PM CST
Diminished can you turn your AIM on? And I didn't because the sad fact is once it moves to prime I'm not going to be able to hunt the critter below which is gryphons because quite frankly there is never any room in gryphons and that is the only critter I found below gam'chagas that taught anywhere near effectively. I use test as just that a test for when it goes live to prime and I treat test as if it were prime. To me that is the most effective way to to find bugs.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/10/2012 11:24 PM CST
>>I only need the berserk for 4 I can handle 3 with no problem without buffs. Now I can't handle 1. Call it what you will nerf or otherwise, if I was at the point where I could handle 3 with no buffs I wasn't at the point where I could barely hunt the critter without the ability, this puts me more than halfway through their learning range. And I didn't miss what you said, I was answering Diminished.

Understood, just saying I'm not sure this is a barbarian issue. If you could hunt 3 without buffs and now cant hunt one WITH buffs, that indicates to me its obviously not the buff thats at fault (what you bring to the table as a barb) but the monsters skills vs your own having being altered, so maybe this line of dialog is better placed in the combat folder instead?
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/11/2012 02:54 AM CST
<<And I didn't because the sad fact is once it moves to prime I'm not going to be able to hunt the critter below which is gryphons because quite frankly there is never any room in gryphons and that is the only critter I found below gam'chagas that taught anywhere near effectively>>

move around in test <you can move with the shards and explore different critter areas>. Seriously, there have been many changes to critters and you might find that a critter that you didn't find effective before <in 2.0> will be able to teach you in 3.0.

I found this to be true for many of my characters. Some had to move up the ladder, a couple had to move down. My barbarian went from gryphs to caracals, for example.

As for stuff between, I'm assuming you fought young gryphs then went to chagas? Try dobek moruryn. Those should teach right around inbetween the two.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/11/2012 05:53 PM CST
Yes I fought young gryphons which are near the top cap of dobeks. I'll give them a shot, and hope I don't need more than one to teach because they spawn is horrible.
Re: Barbarian Ability Review (long) 12/11/2012 08:16 PM CST
Ok so after trying dobek's I've found I can move my weapons but defenses don't move off of 1/34