Crafting spells 12/09/2013 12:10 PM CST
In regards to the posts about Traders being able to bonus crafting.

I'd like to see spells that allow a trader to increase the quality of crafting materials as they are being processed.

I.E. Cobra Purify (a nod to Hav'roth constellation)

Discern CP -
Cobra Purity may only be cast on molten metal in a crucible. It will attempt to remove any impurities found in the metal. The amount of impurities removed varies with the amount of power invested in the spell. With enough skill and power, all impurities can be removed from the metal. Casters will find this spell easier to cast in the spring, when the constellation of Hav'roth is in the sky. If a caster's pool or skill is low, they will find some of the metal itself will be removed with the impurities.

The minimum preparation for this spell is 10 mana, and a maximum of 250 mana may be used to cast this spell.

To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of a beginning dilettante. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a master in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Augmentation skill to cast effectively.

Before you can learn this spell, you must know Clarify Gem. It will cost one spell slot.

low skill -

Small sparks of light fly away from the molten metal, as the contents of the crucible are purified. Some of the motes are larger than others, indicating you took out more than you intended! You think the metal is as pure as you can make it.

medium skill -

Small sparks of light fly away from the molten metal, as the contents of the crucible are purified. You are certain you could remove [a little|a lot|no more} impurities from the molten metal.

capped skill -

Small sparks of light fly away from the molten metal, as the contents of the crucible are purified. You are certain the metal is perfectly pure.

easter egg/bonused skill(smelting under starlight with cobra constellation in sky and full pool) -

Small sparks of starlight flitter away from the molten metal, racing towards the heavens, as the contents of the crucible are purified.
Re: Crafting spells 12/09/2013 02:21 PM CST
Essentially, this is 'Clarify Gem' in a broader form. I like the idea in concept, but it's important to remember that the rarity of high-quality materials is an intentional thing, so adding a flat quality bonus to a material probably is out of the question. Something I COULD imagine working better is something that can improve something more the lower its initial quality is. Obviously I'm not promising anything, but that seems like a more approachable concept.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Crafting spells 12/09/2013 03:20 PM CST
>>Essentially, this is 'Clarify Gem' in a broader form. I like the idea in concept, but it's important to remember that the rarity of high-quality materials is an intentional thing, so adding a flat quality bonus to a material probably is out of the question. Something I COULD imagine working better is something that can improve something more the lower its initial quality is. Obviously I'm not promising anything, but that seems like a more approachable concept.

What about a warding spell for processing (to reduce the amount lost) in which you can process out impurities (i.e. smelting w/flux) -AND- a clarify type spell for things that can not be concentrated (like stone)

Different spells, only work on relevant materials. Different spells for each material type.
Re: Crafting spells 12/09/2013 03:54 PM CST
So if we are to have crafting buff spells, I rather that they be individual spells that help only one craft(yes 5 different spells) than one spell that helps a couple. And as side note, Bard spell should be redone to fit this model too.

Even better, I rather it be that the three lore guilds only get spells for skills that their bonus techs are in. Bards get Engineering buff, Traders get Blacksmith and Artist buff, Empaths get Alchemy buff.

Abison/Rystien