The Trader Confound 12/08/2013 03:55 PM CST
(The following, like most things to do with Trader Magic, is subject to change and discussion.)

Mortals are peculiar magicians, and the magic they use is almost never pure. Pure magic, such as the analogous patterns, is relatively limited in how it can impact the world. It is when magic interacts with other supernatural powers, called by magical theorists "confounds," that the rules change. Clerics call down blessings and damnation through direct interaction with the gods. Moon Mages cheat fate and physics through their interaction with the Plane of Probability. Necromancers defy death itself and raise their minions through an unholy use of mankind's latent empathic powers. And so on.

Traders possess a modification to their auras called the Starlight Infusion.

Many, but not all, Trader spells gain extra benefit from having access to starlight or bright moonlight (Xibar or Yavash). A rare few will fail to work without access to these celestial energies. Through a method which is currently unknown to any mortal, Traders learn how to capture the supernatural power of starlight into their aura. When the stars and moons are right, a Trader can build up starlight in their aura, which they can later use to fully empower spells even in suboptimal conditions.

At first this ability is fairly weak, and the "pool" shallow. With time and other, unknown means, it grows.

A word about the nature of the aura and starlight is in order. The Trader's aura contains the essence of starlight, not the literal light; it is not normally visible except through supernatural means (typically, by other Traders or Moon Mages). Note, that is "normally." As the amount of energy contained in the aura grows, physical manifestations become possible... and slightly inconvenient, if you don't want to glow in the dark or carry a hint of eternal coldness.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: The Trader Confound 12/08/2013 07:36 PM CST
I like the theme of the confound, but I'm a little worried about its implementation. No other guild has to build up a pool in order to use their spells -- abilities, yes, but not spells.

Now, if you're talking about a situation where an empty pool makes the spells less powerful than normal spells from other guilds, but a full pool makes them more powerful, that could be interesting. I'd just be concerned it would work under global caps.

If instead you're talking about powering abilities and not spells, I'm curious what you mean.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: The Trader Confound 12/08/2013 07:39 PM CST
>>Now, if you're talking about a situation where an empty pool makes the spells less powerful than normal spells from other guilds, but a full pool makes them more powerful, that could be interesting. I'd just be concerned it would work under global caps.

Spell does X.
Spell under the environment effect or the pool does X+Y.

We are saving room for a rare few spells to flat out not function without the environmental effect or pool, but that'd be extreme cases, not the norm.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: The Trader Confound 12/08/2013 07:42 PM CST
Also, before we go too far down the rabbit hole, I'd like to emphasize that we see would like to see the environmental limiter for Trader spells to be very generous (especially by Moon Mage standards). Think Dazzle, only flip day to night, and you have roughly where we're imagining you're in the optimal zone for your spells. My napkin math puts that at somewhere north of 80% coverage.

-Armifer
Re: The Trader Confound 12/08/2013 07:57 PM CST
I had trouble trying to think up what the trader confound would be and this is amazing. Big fan of it and can't wait to see how it works and how spells interact with it.
Re: The Trader Confound 12/08/2013 08:03 PM CST
>>Think Dazzle, only flip day to night,

Ahh, I didn't catch that you said starlight or bright moonlight. So the pool would build (and these spells would function) during the night, or during the day with Xibar or Yavash present.

>>Spell does X. Spell under the environment effect or the pool does X+Y.

It all sounds good to me, as long as there's reasonable balance. I.e., it should not need the pool to feel like a fully powered spell -- it should feel pretty good on an empty pool and extra awesome on a full pool.

Speaking as a primary Moon Mage player, I can say two things:

1) It's annoying to have bits of my spells "removed" at certain times, when other guilds have their spells work all the time. E.g. Dazzle, SLS.

BUT

2) The Moon Mage spellbook is so good, and the flavor so dynamic and interesting, that I don't mind. We are the only guild with a lock on transportation spells, and we're also strong in other important niches (stealth and Distant Gaze come to mind).

I would just be careful with the Trader book, because I suspect they won't have quite the same dose of awesome. Thus having a pool should, I hope, feel like a bonus at the end and not a penalty.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: The Trader Confound 12/08/2013 09:13 PM CST
>>I like the theme of the confound, but I'm a little worried about its implementation. No other guild has to build up a pool in order to use their spells -- abilities, yes, but not spells.

Actually, quite a few guilds have their confound built into their spell casting - ask Paladins about casting many spells with bad soul state, or clerics with bad devotion, or rangers in cities, or empaths with shock etc.

>>I had trouble trying to think up what the trader confound would be and this is amazing. Big fan of it and can't wait to see how it works and how spells interact with it.

Yeah, it's been a problem in our design discussions since a big part of what we want to do is keep Traders out of the Plane of Probability to help build a separate identity between Trader Magic and Moon Mage Magic. I'm rather pleased with where we're pointing right now.

>>1) It's annoying to have bits of my spells "removed" at certain times, when other guilds have their spells work all the time. E.g. Dazzle, SLS.

Trader Magic is going to have some time components and ebb and flow built into it - that's the nature of lunar magic.

>>I would just be careful with the Trader book, because I suspect they won't have quite the same dose of awesome.

Only if we fail at our job. I, for one, have no interest in releasing trader magic that isn't suitably awesome in both theme and function. We still need to rough out some details behind the scenes (For example what, exactly, are the favorable factors for trader magic and how granular we want to get) but I'm really pleased with where we're heading right now and I think we've been able to make room for Traders within Lunar Magic (Which was a big concern when we started the project since there's never been a need before to define lunar magic and Moon Mage magic as different things).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: The Trader Confound 12/08/2013 09:31 PM CST
>>Traders learn how to capture the supernatural power of starlight into their aura. When the stars and moons are right, R'lyeh will rise from the sea, never to sink again, and Cthulhu will awaken and revel across the world, ravening for delight.

Fixed that for you.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: The Trader Confound 12/09/2013 01:03 AM CST
>>Actually, quite a few guilds have their confound built into their spell casting

Huh, I guess you're right. I don't typically play those guilds. Well, as long as it feels like a bonus (or at least neutral) and not a chore, I think the Trader confound sounds pretty awesome.

>>I, for one, have no interest in releasing trader magic that isn't suitably awesome in both theme and function.

I'm looking forward to seeing all your ideas! As you can see from the Trader boards, I've been having fun thinking about it.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: The Trader Confound 12/09/2013 02:17 AM CST
I posted this in the traders board since I didn't know this thread existed yet. It's a bit long winded and rambling and was written out before I had read any of this about starlight infusion and confounds. So, sorry for that. It's coming from a completely different RP direction and mostly pertaining to trader spell ideas rather than the RP of it. But a way to differentiate them from moon mages while keeping them under the umbrella of "lunar magic."

---

Let me preface my post by saying I don't play a trader and don't know how to play a trader, but I have a pretty good understanding of magic in the DR-universe.

Magic is sort of like the vapor trail left by the Immortals. Holy magic being the "fastest vibrating" of sorts, the most recently-left energy, and progressing downwards from it is life, elemental, and then lunar which is above gravity. So lunar magic essentially is magic powered by large bodies of mass and is related to gravity, highlighting both moving objects around and bending light (such as clairvoyance, shadows, and moongate).

It was said in the initial post about 3.1 that the two sort of domains of moon mages, ability to travel big distances and power of prediction, were to remain in the hands of moon mages. That -is- unfortunate since those are two things a trader would highly value. But perhaps trader magic can be other facets of gravity and manipulation of light, with some limited abilities that blend into the domain of moon mages. The way I see it is 1 - light manipulation, 2 - gravity manipulation, 3 - clairvoyance/mind control, 4 - travel assistance. 3/4 obviously move into the moon mage territory, but in ways I think that could work from a lore standpoint.

1) Simple spells for traders could be to move light to aid them and chance speculate paranoia into a spell that creates light around the trader for a perception buff (Augmentation). Similarly, the ability to redirect light around the trader could make them perhaps appear blurred and harder to hit with ranged and targeted magic (Warding). Clarify gem (utility) would obviously be a useful spell for a trader and fit within this framework for trader magic. Delving into things more esoteric, perhaps the ability to see imperfections in other materials (and have a magical ability to purify them) could be in order. So a trader could increase the quality of various materials (metals, fabrics, bones, whatever).

2) On the subject of harnessing the power of large bodies, a trader perhaps COULD affect gravity and have a significantly more powerful version of ease burden (utility), burden could be made more powerful and moved to a trader spell (debilitation), or the ability to affect a small area of gravity increase the weight capacity of a container (this could be cyclic utility spell; on releasing it, it wouldn't spew things out, but maybe a roundtime on moving until you cast it again or take things out to make it right). Traders could have a spell that increases the gravity of an opponent that would make physical ranged attacks more likely to hit (debil) or have it work on just a specific item and replace speculate coin (targeted magic)with this spell.

3) Moving closer to the border with moon mages, speculate finesse would be venturing into the realm of prediction and quasi-mind control. On a related note, the ability to influence enemies to move and react slower (debilitation) would be a useful spell (of course limited to critters with a brain). Traders would have a big interest in the ability to influence people, too (think, how to win friends and influence people), and a charisma and/or scholarship buff (aug) would be in order. A trader would also likely want the ability to communicate wider, so an ability to boost the range of gweths/albredine would be quite useful.

4) This is likely the most controversial of my ideas, but what about some kind of a limited moongate-type ability. It could be a ritual spell with a significant cooldown. The power of it is affected by your magic ability, and the cooldown is affected by say.. charisma (a way of making it like circle based but not exactly, RP-wise think of it like immense willpower to muster up the mental stamina to do it again). Early on, the trader could move him/herself along with a caravan across short distances like rivers. Later on, across big distances like the gondola or the from Haven to Lang. At immense power, like maybe 500 ranks (magic is tert, remember, so this would be a big deal), a trader could get across to the islands. The cool down for something like this would be significant, so it's likely just good for a one-way quick trip and you might want to find another way back.

I know I made this an immensely, stupidly long post, and as I said, I'm not a trader, but I'm just throwing these ideas out so that maybe someone who is more versed on the subject could tweak these into more useable ideas with what I've said as a RP-backing.
Re: The Trader Confound 12/09/2013 06:12 AM CST
NECKHOFF, nice ideas. Same with the rest of you guys. It's cool to see people excited about this guild.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: The Trader Confound 12/09/2013 09:02 AM CST
Weave straw into gold!

hrm wrong story never mind.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: The Trader Confound 12/09/2013 09:54 AM CST
>>Weave straw into gold!

I'm not conceptually against giving Traders Clarify Gem, if they think they'd actually use it.

-Armifer
Re: The Trader Confound 12/09/2013 10:25 AM CST
Spell to combine gems, summing their value.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: The Trader Confound 12/09/2013 11:38 AM CST
ritual spell to increase the value of a tied gem pouch? Since most tie to reduce the item count, and individual gems can't be pulled out, it would give traders the ability to increase profit margin on gem pouches, given time and effort.

Illimin
Re: The Trader Confound 02/11/2014 01:44 PM CST
>>Spell to combine gems, summing their value.

tie your gem pouches. This is what that does.

Now, if you could take two gems of the same type, combine them to make a single gem of a larger type, that would be interesting.
Re: The Trader Confound 02/11/2014 01:48 PM CST
>1) Simple spells for traders could be to move light to aid them and chance speculate paranoia into a spell that creates light around the trader for a perception buff (Augmentation).
>2) On the subject of harnessing the power of large bodies, a trader perhaps COULD affect gravity and have a significantly more powerful version of ease burden
>3) Moving closer to the border with moon mages, speculate finesse would be venturing into the realm of prediction and quasi-mind control.
>4) This is likely the most controversial of my ideas, but what about some kind of a limited moongate-type ability.

these are great suggestions in my opinion. Idea's that effect the guild in ways that speculates and current commands don't.

#4 is dreaming, but o well, i support it :)