Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 01:58 PM CST
I can't log in, but do thieves have any recourse to train debilitation which does not depend on hiding?

I want to say choke. But that's only one ability? It would be nice to have 2 options.

I'm discounting the two khri because at 50th I won't have enough skill to run them, and getting to 50th with a small tool kit isn't fun.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 03:44 PM CST

Besides the khri, ambush screen is the only ambush that will work from outside hiding.

It also teaches the best out of all of the ambushes when going against multiple targets, it'll even teach if you fail the hide attempt at the end.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 03:45 PM CST

Oh, but it does have kind of a nasty RT, regardless of if you pass or fail.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 04:31 PM CST
>Besides the khri, ambush screen is the only ambush that will work from outside hiding.

That's what I was thinking.

It would be really, really, nice to not have every single thing in the thief tool kit depend on stealth, for the next time stealth gets nerfed. As is, it pretty much forces you into a certain template if you want to have a realistic chance of training deb, which is to wear a certain armor so that you can hide.

No other guild has a restriction like this, across the guild.

Don't get me wrong. Khri as a tool kit is (are?) awesome, and I like what they do. I'm strictly speaking about deb training here.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 04:37 PM CST
>>Don't get me wrong. Khri as a tool kit is (are?) awesome, and I like what they do. I'm strictly speaking about deb training here.

Barbs had major issues training Debilitation as well when teir stuff came out 3.0. It got "fixed" a few times to the point where now it is trainable if not yet all that useful.

Can the thiefs see say an AOE debilitation ability like "Throw dust" where we can throw a Cloud of dust to debilitate all opponents at meele? Or give us a I dont know a "smoke bomb" ability that does same?
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 05:05 PM CST
>>It got "fixed" a few times to the point where now it is trainable if not yet all that useful

They all go through the same core system. The skill contest provides a major boost in effectiveness. Without that bonus you will usually fail against at-circle enemies. Saying more Debilitation skill isn't useful simply reveals your ignorance.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 05:24 PM CST
>>Saying more Debilitation skill isn't useful simply reveals your ignorance.

Lets not sling insults. Pretty veteran player since 1999 I know how the stuff works. What the issue was the granfathered # of ranks was very low and pretty all barbs at outset of 3.0 were unable to affect opponents AT leel to learn Debilitation. Even now it is stil pretty mewh for use/effectivenes AT level unles you have invested a good amount of time backtraining it.

My barb with 700 to 800 in combats has a measely 385 in debilitation. Absolutely NO way I can train effectivelly at level with taht unles I use a Roar Helm. As far as actual utility usefulness. The debilitation amount is pretty low to the point where it lasts several seconds debuffs the oponents one lvl of balance and that is about it (for Anger the Earth).

Thiefs will potentialy suffer the same fate. The issue thiefs may face can be be compounded by the fact that there are no AOE Debilitation abilities so in terms of EXP all you get is for that ONE hit. At least barbs can Roar all oponents at meele and 3.1 will see Roar Area as well.

Once again I'd like to put in a request for a "Dirt Cloud" or some such similar Debilitation AOE affect for theifs please.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 05:32 PM CST
>lasts several seconds debuffs the oponents one lvl of balance and that is about it

Based on what bards are seeing in the new DEMA, this is about right for things that affect opponents balance.

>Once again I'd like to put in a request for a "Dirt Cloud" or some such similar Debilitation AOE affect for theifs please.

If you have to use AOEs to learn effectively, that's something that should be addressed globally and not with a band-aid of "giving everyone an AOE debilitation so they can train."

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 05:33 PM CST
>>If you have to use AOEs to learn effectively, that's something that should be addressed globally and not with a band-aid of "giving everyone an AOE debilitation so they can train."

Dont disagree but it sure helps. Besides every single guild has AOE abilities/spells including barbs why not thiefs?
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 07:49 PM CST
>>all barbs at outset of 3.0 were unable to affect opponents AT leel to learn Debilitation

This is no different than Paladins/Rangers and TM. Just put on your big barb pants and train up the ladder. Don't expect it to be on a silver platter form the get-go.

Hell, considering so many people at the high end are running out of things to do, consider it an opportunity to check out some hunting areas you missed the first time on the way up.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 09:06 PM CST
>This is no different than Paladins/Rangers and TM. Just put on your big barb pants and train up the ladder. Don't expect it to be on a silver platter form the get-go.

Honestly, it's even more ridiculous because the GMs and players have stated several times that you can train thief deb at any point at-level regardless of your ranks.

Just ambush whatever you're hunting anyway, and it trains, no specific backtraining required.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 09:34 PM CST
>> pretty all barbs at outset of 3.0 were unable to affect opponents AT leel to learn Debilitation. Even now it is stil pretty mewh for use/effectivenes AT level unles you have invested a good amount of time backtraining it.

This is dumb. Stats are the primary influence on roar effectiveness.

Roar effectiveness scales according to skill - 200 debil might be enough to get 100% success on Strike, but only 30% on Shriek. It's no different then how magic works w/ mana put into a spell.

I don't understand why you think magic 3.0 is in any way shape or form related to how magic 2.0 functioned. The entire dynamic has changed.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 09:38 PM CST
>> This is no different than Paladins/Rangers and TM.

It's quite a bit different. They didn't get free ranks, but had adequate time to prepare for the change. I would've preferred a way to train it 3 years ago as opposed to 3 years wasted and 'free lousy ranks' to show for it.

But I do agree, it's not debil that's preventing barbs from being effective.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/17/2014 11:06 PM CST
>>Stats are the primary influence on roar effectiveness.

Correct. Skill gives bonus points. You cannot go below 100% effectiveness.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/18/2014 08:24 PM CST
>>Thiefs will potentialy suffer the same fate. The issue thiefs may face can be be compounded by the fact that there are no AOE Debilitation abilities so in terms of EXP all you get is for that ONE hit. At least barbs can Roar all oponents at meele and 3.1 will see Roar Area as well.

>>Once again I'd like to put in a request for a "Dirt Cloud" or some such similar Debilitation AOE affect for theifs please.

Thieves have an AoE Debil ambush. It's called screen, doesn't require you to be hidden to use, and trains rather well. With ~360 Debil ambushes/khris are possible to use in at-level (700s) combat, because as Gort stated success on the target is largely based on the SvS contest. Debilitation is the magic skill I have the least trouble training in Test.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/18/2014 08:29 PM CST
>>Debilitation is the magic skill I have the least trouble training in Test.

This is good news. How is the UMPH behind them noticable affect on the at level stuff you hunting or it "tickles" them?
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/18/2014 08:59 PM CST
A bit all over the place. I go from completely missing to max success with ambush slash and stun in assassins depending how beat up/debilitated they are. PvE seems pretty close to right for me when it comes to the new khri/ambushes/backstab. I haven't tested any PvP for awhile, but from what I'm hearing hasn't changed much for ambushes.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/18/2014 09:47 PM CST
I still think magic rewards need to be unilaterally upped.

Debilitation isn't terrible to train, but it needs to reward more exp per action. Ambush screen only rewards exp once it's previous effect expires, as far as I can tell, which means you can only do it every few minutes. It was giving me 1-2 mindstates, nothing to really write home about. Ambush stun/slash seem to give 1-2 mindstates per 3-4 attacks, and require a hide/stalk (does stalk actually increase the contest at all, or is it wasted?) to do.

Overall, comparing debilitation training to a magic user, it's significantly slower and more hassle. The mage just has to prep, pause 9, cast, and gets a mindstate increase. The thief has to work it a lot more.

I was able to run prowess for 2-3 minutes at a go; it seemed to reward very little exp for me, I got roughly 1 mindstate per run of the ability.

Overall, it just seem like debilitation puts a bit much emphasis on hiding, for my tastes. We only have the one ability which doesn't flat out require you to be hidden, and even then, it puts you IN hiding.

I do love that the khri train backstab though. That's awesome.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/18/2014 09:48 PM CST
SvS resistance is affected by vitality. A good combos is BS followed by an ambush. Hard to resist something when you are stunned and at half health...

Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/18/2014 10:07 PM CST
<<I do love that the khri train backstab though. That's awesome.>>

Is that a bug? Not often you can train a combat skill passively like that outside of class.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/18/2014 10:57 PM CST
Pretty sure he meant ambushes teaching BS.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/18/2014 11:37 PM CST
>>The mage just has to prep, pause 9, cast, and gets a mindstate increase.

Just for accuracy's sake, you don't need to pause unless you're casting at your personal cap.

Casting a debil at your personal cap does grant an exp bonus, but I find it a lot easier to just snap casts at minimum against critters who train my debil.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/19/2014 03:04 AM CST
>Casting a debil at your personal cap does grant an exp bonus

Casting at full prep also grants an exp bonus. I've found it easier to prep, attack for a while, then cast when it reaches full prep.
Re: Debilitation without stealth 01/19/2014 07:00 AM CST
I've never had a problem training debilitation at level as a barbarian at any point. This is for two barbarians across different circles.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html