If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 03:06 PM CST
GMs are putting a lot of work into "fixing" magic and combat experience. Why? Is magic exp too easy (not counting cyclics, which are being fixed)? Who cares if someone with 1200 augmentation can lock it casting a basic spell? It still takes a good amount of time to lock using that basic spell, and it doesn't hurt anything by allowing casters to choose to train with whichever of their augmentation spells that they find useful. Otherwise you're going to pigeon hole all high level casters into the same advanced/esoteric spell that might not even be beneficial over and over again in order to train. My point is, it's not broke so don't fix it.

Same with combat. It's already hard enough to find a critter that won't kill you that will teach your tert skills and your prime skills. Make it harder at all, and it will become impossible. No additions to the critter ladder would be able to fix it, people will either have to bounce between multiple hunting grounds to train their skills, or stop training their primary skills while their terts catch up. Not fun.

TLDR: The experience nerfs aren't going to improve the game or make it more fun. Please focus the very limited amount of development resources on things that will improve the game instead of trying to fix things that aren't broken. Thank you.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 03:09 PM CST
I like that in theory, a more advanced magic user need cast more advanced magics to train, but the reality of many guilds is there simply isn't a spread of spells to facilitate that. Picking up sorcery/scroll spells for training purposes is an obvious solution, but it seems very silly to force a choice between 'continue to train your character effectively' or 'supplement your utility/combat by picking a spell you want'.

I've not tested with it, but I do hope that pumping very high amounts of mana into an intro/basic spell teaches on par with pumping less mana into an advanced/esoteric.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 03:20 PM CST
>>Is magic exp too easy (not counting cyclics, which are being fixed)?

To my knowledge/for the most part, non-cyclic magic exp is getting tweaked up, not down. I think the non-cyclic exp bug was that people were getting notable amounts of exp for casting at [random number] 40 instead of 80 like they should be. From the [admittedly limited] testing I did with training magic on the test server, it looked like I moved from getting 2/34-3/34 per cast to 3/34-4/34 per cast.

>>Same with combat. It's already hard enough to find a critter that won't kill you that will teach your tert skills and your prime skills.

I agree with this, though. While I understand why GMs don't want us underhunting, players are always going to hunt in situations they they find (1) safest and (2) capable of training all their primary combats. I'm just not going to want to hunt in one area for parry/weapons, another for shield/armor, and another for evasion/stealth. It's going to be pretty terrible if I do.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 07:08 PM CST
I really wish the spell difficulty requirement would go away. It sucks to have to tailor your spell choices as you advance both to spells you want and for spells so you can keep advancing. Its just annoying and a fix to make fixes.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 07:37 PM CST
>>Same with combat. It's already hard enough to find a critter that won't kill you that will teach your tert skills and your prime skills.

Maybe it's because I don't actually have any primary combat skills (except Tactics, but that's on par with my tertiaries because of the way it was derived upon introduction), but I'm not seeing the terrible results that others are reporting. Assassins are "right" for me in both the live instance and in test, I just don't have the freedom to make due with slightly less difficult creatures (because their location is better, for example) with the way things are in test.

I learn reasonably well and don't get destroyed by Assassins, so I tend to believe that it's just a matter of having to fill gaps that the changes create. The problem, of course, is that doing so will take time (probably a lot of it), and it's not really okay to make people sit in limbo with no good options in the meantime. Perhaps the degree could use some tweaking, but the change absolutely is necessary; people being able to learn from creatures that pose zero threat is broken, and it does make the game worse. From the Empath perspective, it creates a maddening shortage of stuff to heal, which makes it pretty hard to play the role of a healer (which is fun and enjoyable). It also makes buffs seem pointless, since they don't really help if you already outclass the crap out of your opponent.

I really don't know what to make of the reports of people getting severely beaten up by things that don't teach defenses well though...that one reeks of bug.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 08:20 PM CST
<<I learn reasonably well and don't get destroyed by Assassins, so I tend to believe that it's just a matter of having to fill gaps that the changes create>>

It's considerably more than this. I think it's fair to say that elder armadillos to drakes to cabalists is a very well "stepped" group of creatures in terms of difficulty and caps. In 3.0, I can learn everything on elders though it's close for TM and evasion. In 3.1, I learn very poorly even in cabalists, offenses and defenses, and they are challenging enough that if I hunted them regularly, I would need to leave the hunting ground at least once an hour to get healed. I don't enjoy that, particularly when half of that time is spent just trying to lock TM alone. I would figure out a way to deal with it, assuming the exp rewards are adjusted, but I'm not digging it at the moment.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 09:15 PM CST
the problem is the way GM's classify under hunting not the exp at all.

My belief (and it is prolly true) is that they want us to hunt at our primary skillset level. That just can not be done if you have primaries that have 0 or maybe 1 combat related skill in them so where do you go.... you go where secondaries and tert skills keep you alive and then you hunt.

the critters are fine in 3.0 the way we are seen to interact with them is what we the players are doing "wrong".

Deadly force, is the force which a person uses, causing—or that a person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing—death or serious bodily harm. Deadly Force is justified only under conditions of extreme necessity as a last resort,
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 09:27 PM CST
Could then be an issue of players wanting to train primaries and tertiaries in the same place, 'safely'. Mastery certainly facilitated backtraining weapons, but the same thing doesn't exist for most skills.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 09:28 PM CST
It would if Defending skill did the same for armors as masteries did for weapons.

Deadly force, is the force which a person uses, causing—or that a person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing—death or serious bodily harm. Deadly Force is justified only under conditions of extreme necessity as a last resort,
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 09:47 PM CST
I'd guess that the thing GMs probably would wish for is people hunt at level, against one foe, one on one combat.

Because that is how critters are designed.

Of course the best rank gainers KNOW that they need lots of things to keep moving the most skills to get those ranks FAST (or at least FASTER).

I wish I had some suggestion for moving either side to the other.

All I can suggest (and this would probably just annoy the move ranks faster crowd) is more bonuses to multiple opponents. Which to me the hope would be more people pushing for one on one combat (do I really think that players will want one on one :shrug:).

Just my point of view.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 09:53 PM CST
Someone with 1000 ranks of combats can put on a piece of armor in a skill they've exactly 0 ranks in, and learn that armor type from 0 ranks on, in assassins/dillos whatever.

Magic is unique in this matter of becoming untrainable due to spell availability or forced selection or training paradigms.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 10:04 PM CST
I had something here but can not keep from trying to type how I feel about folks not reading posts before typing replies.

needless to say training a 0 rank armor in dillo's will get you killed fast, sorry One hit to that area = stunned then you die.

Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 10:11 PM CST
It will bring your hinderance up pretty good if you have 0 ranks in an armor that's currently worn. Also yes it will kill you rather quick when you get hit in that part, bleed, and the critters always seem to gun for that same spot.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 10:17 PM CST
>>> I'd guess that the thing GMs probably would wish for is people hunt at level, against one foe, one on one combat.

We all know that they design areas to more or less guarantee you will be engaged to 2-4 creatures at once, however. So, if my character can take an at level creature one on one but I can expect to be engaged 2-4 on one, the inevitable result is that I "underhunt" so I don't get the snot beat out of me.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 10:18 PM CST
but If the defending skill reduced said hindrance then that would not be a problem but that is not how defending works... If fact other than TDP's not really sure what that skill is good for?

Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/11/2013 11:29 PM CST
I agree with literally everything in OP's post.

I really do love most of the new additions I've seen in 3.1. The new maneuver system is incredible, I'm loving the new Bard spell releases, and I'm certainly in favor of fixing cyclic exp gain.

However, my experience so far in terms of 3.1 hunting has been far from pleasant. And though I've not experienced the difficulties that some of the high level magic users are reporting in terms of inability to lock magic skills, I do think it's important for characters to have the flexibility to be able to cast ANYTHING from their spellbooks and be able to gain skill. Pigeon holing training so that the same ~5 esoteric spells (aug, util, ward, debil, tm) are used over and over isn't fun for anyone.

>>Maybe it's because I don't actually have any primary combat skills (except Tactics, but that's on par with my tertiaries because of the way it was derived upon introduction), but I'm not seeing the terrible results that others are reporting.

Part of this, I believe, is that once you reach celpeze+ hunting areas, the creatures cover much wider spreads in terms of the ranks in which they'll grant experience. According to epedia, assassins train from 650-1250 ranks. I'd certainly hope that everything will lock in there if you're sitting in their comfortable range.

In comparison, according to epedia the creatures in my hunting range, dobek moruryns and young forest gryphons, train from 250-450 and <300-450 respectively.

I've stated this in another thread already, but as a player of a survival and armor tert guild character with less than a 100-rank gap between his top combat skill (tactics) and his lowest defense (defending/shield), it has been terribly frustrating to find a hunting ground that allows me to train all of my combats effectively at once.

What worries me is that I'll find myself capping my tactics/magic/weapons on critters before I'm ready to move up, and eventually fall into a situation where I'm basically just backtraining defenses until all of my combat skill are even. This is NOT how I want my character to be, as I prefer having certain strengths and weaknesses based upon my skillsets. In fact, what's the point of having skillsets at all if I can't ever train my primary lore skillset in combat since I'm waiting for shield and evasion to play catch up?

Maybe once I can comfortably hunt celpeze or other high level creatures this won't be an issue due to their wider spread of trainable ranks, but for the moment is is a very real problem for me and I hope to see it addressed.

>>Perhaps the degree could use some tweaking, but the change absolutely is necessary; people being able to learn from creatures that pose zero threat is broken, and it does make the game worse. From the Empath perspective, it creates a maddening shortage of stuff to heal, which makes it pretty hard to play the role of a healer (which is fun and enjoyable).

Sorry to hear if this is still an issue for the Empaths. When I'm in Crossing it seems like there's a pretty steady stream of people that come to the Empath guild looking for heals. I'll admit though, when in more remote areas I usually default to heading straight to an auto-healer when I leave combat due to the difficulty in finding an Empath. After so many times of running in circles, or finally finding an Empath only realize that they were afk, I've found it's much faster to just head straight for the autopath, which is a shame.

Perhaps there's other ways of boosting Empathy experience, but I'm not convinced that the changes to combat experience I've seen in 3.1 are the correct solution.
Re: If it's not broken, don't fix it 12/12/2013 07:17 AM CST
>but If the defending skill reduced said hindrance then that would not be a problem but that is not how defending works... If fact other than TDP's not really sure what that skill is good for?

It determines your stance points, your ability to defend against multiple creatures, and your defense against tactics. FWIW, I've had a few characters train a new armor type from 0 on gryphons. The hindrance bumps, but that's about it.

Back on topic;

>What worries me is that I'll find myself capping my tactics/magic/weapons on critters before I'm ready to move up, and eventually fall into a situation where I'm basically just backtraining defenses until all of my combat skill are even. This is NOT how I want my character to be, as I prefer having certain strengths and weaknesses based upon my skillsets. In fact, what's the point of having skillsets at all if I can't ever train my primary lore skillset in combat since I'm waiting for shield and evasion to play catch up?

I think most people do this, but this is precisely how you train down those tert weaknesses. I don't expect my Necromancers evasion to move very quickly in critters that will also let him train his weapons, nor my barbs weapons in critters that will also let him train his tactics. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing; it's a choice we make as hunters. Plenty of people don't do this, and will 'overhunt' to continue moving a primary. That said, people are posting that critters that once trained them exceptionally well aren't anymore; this is a problem, especially for those HLCs who can't move skills at all anymore.