SR 03/18/2014 12:15 AM CDT

So I was just messing around on test with my paladin and I realized that this spell no longer buffs parry either? Did paladin's lose both the parry and evasion buffs? I saw the reflex and defending which don't get me wrong, It's very nice. Just for being the defense prime guild only buffing a single defense makes me sad. Is it hiding in another spell I could not afford?
Re: SR 03/18/2014 12:20 AM CDT
> So I was just messing around on test with my paladin and I realized that this spell no longer buffs parry either? Did paladin's lose both the parry and evasion buffs? I saw the reflex and defending which don't get me wrong, It's very nice. Just for being the defense prime guild only buffing a single defense makes me sad. Is it hiding in another spell I could not afford?

Paladins are armor primary guild sir, get your facts straight.
Re: SR 03/18/2014 12:35 AM CDT

>Paladins are armor primary guild sir, get your facts straight.

Are facts the currency of these forums? My apologies.

Just with how many guilds get 2/3 or 3/3 defense skill buffs. I feel like paladin should be getting at least 2/3. And Parry/shield make sense.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: SR 03/18/2014 01:19 AM CDT
I noticed it too when I was on test. I am hoping that we get something to buff parry and evasion. I think that both are within reason for a Paladin to have considering they are both reqs and within the SOI.
Re: SR 03/18/2014 05:52 AM CDT
The argument was having all 3 defenses on one spell, regardless of cost, was too much bang for a single cast. At the time I was annoyed and had trouble agreeing, fast forward a few months I can see the logic. At the upper end it works out to a net gain except for DFA.

As 3.1 draws closer to launch and some of the dev resources get a chance to shift gears I imagine we can request and have a reasonable chance to receive another spell to fill that niche for our non-shield using members. Till then I suggest taking up sorcery for the short term.

Samsaren
Re: SR 03/18/2014 09:28 AM CDT

>At the upper end it works out to a net gain except for DFA.

Maybe i am missing something, But I don't see how reflex (not in SOI) and defending work out as a gain at any point over a evasion and parry buffs, Both of which are in SOI.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: SR 03/18/2014 11:13 AM CDT
>>Maybe i am missing something, But I don't see how reflex (not in SOI) and defending work out as a gain at any point over a evasion and parry buffs, Both of which are in SOI.

I'll grant comparing 3.1 20% Evasion/Parry/Shield vs Shield/Defending/Reflex feels a bit meh, but it is what it is. I'm holding out hope of an eventual additional spell post 3.1 release to fill that hole a bit.

Samsaren
Re: SR 03/18/2014 11:27 AM CDT
I have a bit of an idea here - but that's all I'll say since it's literally in the "I thought of it an hour or so ago and tossed it in our proposal system".

The big concern isn't "Paladins can't have +evasion or +parry" but that we don't want a single spell doing too much. But that's also counter balanced by not wanting people to feel like they need like 8 buffs up at once as a baseline. My gut tells me that the solution (Not only to the Paladin problem here but other guilds as well) is more "or" and less "and" as we add more spells.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: SR 03/18/2014 01:21 PM CDT
>>But that's also counter balanced by not wanting people to feel like they need like 8 buffs up at once as a baseline.

Alas - in an MMO community that will more or less always become the case. In combat if I CAN buff it, I'm going to. Defense wise to lower incoming damage to hunt longer to work more skills, Offense wise because well, yeah. PVP wise if I KNOW I'm going into a fight I'd rather throw up every possible defensive/offense boosting spell I can, even at the cost of wading into a fight manaless. A lot of this stems from a chunk of my offensive magical options being either pointless (magic tert vs at level) or cooldowns (Shatter required to fade before reapplied) or diminishing returns punishing rapidfire casts.

The flip side - jacking costs/resource management to the point of silliness from a thirst for balance can rapidly push things too far into the line of frustrating. Finding the balance point is a rough job, and one I do not envy.

Samsaren
Re: SR 03/18/2014 02:18 PM CDT
>>Alas - in an MMO community that will more or less always become the case.

Correct. Which is why I think we need more -or- and less -and- at times. In theory spell slots do that but in practice even with feats and everything there's not that much constraint at high levels for most guilds.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: SR 03/18/2014 05:08 PM CDT
How about replacing hand of justice with hand of evasiony or parry-y goodness. It doesn't have to make sense.

In all seriousness, offense is going down quite a bit in 3.1 from what I've experienced. Would love to have another defensive spell to compensate. The paladin guild's not my favorite because I like doing tons of damage, after all. Not to mention, DFA is awful without an evasion buff, truly a paladin killer; so bad I'd rather have a DFA ward than an evasion buff.
Re: SR 03/18/2014 08:32 PM CDT
<<Paladins are armor primary guild sir, get your facts straight.>>

Cool, then give us a spell to decrease our armor hinderance even further and we won't need another spell to boost evasion or parry =)

--Just a Squire
Re: SR 03/19/2014 01:20 AM CDT
<<Cool, then give us a spell to decrease our armor hinderance even further and we won't need another spell to boost evasion or parry =)

<<--Just a Squire

This. And this:
<<Not to mention, DFA is awful without an evasion buff, truly a paladin killer; so bad I'd rather have a DFA ward than an evasion buff.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: SR 03/19/2014 04:56 AM CDT
<<Not to mention, DFA is awful without an evasion buff, truly a paladin killer; so bad I'd rather have a DFA ward than an evasion buff.

Its been mentioned several times approval has been given for an anti-DFA spell for us, once 3.1's 800 lbs gorilla self is out of the way this may come to light and solve that issue for us nicely.

Samsaren
Re: SR 03/19/2014 07:16 AM CDT
>Cool, then give us a spell to decrease our armor hinderance even further and we won't need another spell to boost evasion or parry =)

Out of curiosity, since my baby Paladin is only 40th and wearing steel gear, but do Paladins have hindrance? My guy is mixing four armor types and sitting at barely.
Re: SR 03/19/2014 08:26 AM CDT
>>Out of curiosity, since my baby Paladin is only 40th and wearing steel gear, but do Paladins have hindrance? My guy is mixing four armor types and sitting at barely.

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is rather hindered.

some insulated heavy ruazin wool pants
a triple-reinforced vardite pavise shield
some lumium lamellar vambraces
a lumium chain balaclava
some lumium lamellar gloves
a damite heavy breastplate
a heavy damite backplate
a damite heavy plate fauld
Re: SR 03/19/2014 09:40 AM CDT
I see the light, and chain. Which of those pieces are which though? And can you give a rough rank estimate on that? It's an interesting mix.
Re: SR 03/19/2014 10:50 AM CDT

This is my paladins setup, which I believe is similar to the other person who posted.

a lumium heavy breastplate (Plate)
a heavy lumium backplate (Plate)
a lumium heavy plate fauld (Plate)
a lumium chain balaclava (Chain)
some lumium lamellar vambraces (Brig)
some lumium lamellar gloves (Brig)
some insulated heavy titanese pants sealed with protective wax (Light)

I hit light manuever hindrance in this set around circle 30 and 200ish ranks in all armors.
Re: SR 03/19/2014 10:50 AM CDT
>>I see the light, and chain. Which of those pieces are which though? And can you give a rough rank estimate on that? It's an interesting mix.

some insulated heavy ruazin wool pants Legs - Light armor 350~ ranks
a triple-reinforced vardite pavise shield stupidly hindering shield - 1k
some lumium lamellar vambraces Arms - Brig 850~
a lumium chain balaclava Head/eye/neck - Chain - 775~
some lumium lamellar gloves Hands - Brig
a damite heavy breastplate Chest - plate - 1k
a heavy damite backplate Back - plate
a damite heavy plate fauld Abdomen - plate

With the rank gaps they all lock and more or less the same rate, plate being the last to get anywhere usually. Long-term training I usually see arm or leg bleeders well before any other serious damage. Item appraisals are available on request, just shoot me an IM/Email.

Samsaren
Re: SR 03/19/2014 11:37 AM CDT

So, why the backplate/fauld/breastplate set up, since you both use it? Wouldn't it be just as efficient to use a half plate, and gloves+ helmet? Or would it not cover enough with just hands, compared to hands and arms?
Re: SR 03/19/2014 12:04 PM CDT
Easier to swap pieces for managing training, easier to forge (I can't do damite half plate on my best day), far less vulnerable to naptha attacks, etc.

Samsaren
Re: SR 03/19/2014 12:45 PM CDT
I used to rock a similar setup (breastplate, backplate, fauld, etc.) in 2.0 because the smaller accessories took longer to longer to get skills locked. I'd just swap whatever pieces I needed to swap for invasions/PvP. It became a pain repairing it all myself, though, so I switched to full body armor in 3.0.

All of your armor:

some scratched copper plate sleeves (plate)
a dull steel field plate (plate)
a pockmarked copper chain aventail (chain)
a pair of thick goggles with a shark-cartilage frame (bone)
an enameled lamellar cap embellished with tiny dragons (brig)

That's my training setup. No issues locking all armors. I just swap out the head gear for plate for invasions/PVP.
Re: SR 03/19/2014 05:24 PM CDT
My armor setup:

Considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly (4/14) hindered and your stealth is rather (8/14) hindered.

an engraved electrum-plated chain helm (Kanton's chain, no eyes)
a sculpted damite faceplate with silversteel inlays of the avatars of the Immortals (Altered HP mask covering the eyes)
some midnight black crusader's armor accented with a platinum etching of the Fruvous family crest on the breastplate (Altered old HP half plate)
a tarnished crusader's shield with a worn soulstone boss encircled by the pantheon of the Immortals (Altered vardite pavise shield)
some titanese battle gauntlets reinforced with damite plates inlaid with silversteel (Altered LA heavy titanese gloves)
some pockmarked silver-plated light plate greaves (Kanton's Brigandine)

With this setup I lock all armors, the lowest of which is over 600 ranks.

--Just a Squire
Re: SR 03/19/2014 05:45 PM CDT

>So, why the backplate/fauld/breastplate set up, since you both use it?

Because Samsaren told me to. And made it lol.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: SR (Paladin Armor Setups) 03/19/2014 07:25 PM CDT
>>Jhaliascleric: Out of curiosity, since my baby Paladin is only 40th and wearing steel gear, but do Paladins have hindrance? My guy is mixing four armor types and sitting at barely.

Plate Armor: 597.29
Brigandine: 584.66
Chain Armor: 559.72
Light Armor: 326.87

My heavy plate setup (the barbute and tonlet armor are altered Relayer-forged steel):

a damite tower shield
a winged barbute with a conical crown
a luminous suit of tonlet armor with winged pauldrons
some damite heavy plate gauntlets

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly (4/14) hindered and your stealth is highly (10/14) hindered.

My mixed armor setup (I swap between chain and bone greaves to keep my armor skills moving):

a damite tower shield
a silver-edged helm (steel brigandine)
some gleaming silver plate (steel plate)
some lumium mail gloves
a pair of articulated ivory greaves (bone)

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly (3/14) hindered and your stealth is rather (8/14) hindered.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: SR (Paladin Armor Setups) 03/20/2014 11:20 AM CDT
So, my setup, for comparison. Obviously being straight MCS steel (I think, it MIGHT be HCS? It's been a while), it isn't as heavy as some of the stuff you guys are using.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Chain Armor: 210 35% dabbling (1/34) Brigandine: 211 96% dabbling (1/34)
Plate Armor: 205 91% dabbling (1/34) Defending: 210 49% dabbling (1/34)

some steel mail sleeves
a steel war shield
a steel brigandine lorica
a steel mail balaclava
some steel heavy plate greaves

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly hindered and your stealth is highly hindered.

So, that's a 3 way mix, and plate on legs... I just consider that astoundingly low hindrance. I haven't played him much, but armor terts have it pretty great when it comes to their armor choices.
Re: SR (Paladin Armor Setups) 03/20/2014 01:30 PM CDT
Could anyone recommend a store based mix that would work? I'd like to train every armor on my paladin, but don't have the mad $$ to do it. I'm actually flat broke right now I think, a few gold on me.
Re: SR (Paladin Armor Setups) 03/20/2014 01:43 PM CDT
>>> Could anyone recommend a store based mix that would work? I'd like to train every armor on my paladin, but don't have the mad $$ to do it. I'm actually flat broke right now I think, a few gold on me.

I am hardly a forging guru, but I use "light steel" 70% High Carbon Steel / 30 % Oravir for light weapons and armour and "heavy steel" 70% High Carbon Steel / 30% lead for heavy impact weapons. I am not sure if there is much benefit to using a heavy steel mix with armour but you probably want less weight if your paladin is low circle anyway.
Re: SR (Paladin Armor Setups) 03/20/2014 01:56 PM CDT
<<Could anyone recommend a store based mix that would work? I'd like to train every armor on my paladin, but don't have the mad $$ to do it. I'm actually flat broke right now I think, a few gold on me. >>

Should be able to get all of this from Tembeg's:

Half Plate (HP)
Scale Greaves (Brig)
Chain balaclava (Chain - duh)
Leather gloves (LA)

For guildies, I will pound out any armor for free provided you find me in game, provide the materials, and keep me company while I'm doing it. So if you can scrounge up a steel ingot (which is easy to make), come find me.

--Just a Squire
Re: SR (Paladin Armor Setups) 03/20/2014 01:58 PM CDT
>>> Could anyone recommend a *store based mix* that would work?

Funny how I misread mix to mean made from ingots and nuggets you can buy in the forging society. Oops.
Re: SR (Paladin Armor Setups) 03/20/2014 02:07 PM CDT
>>For guildies, I will pound out any armor for free provided you find me in game, provide the materials, and keep me company while I'm doing it. So if you can scrounge up a steel ingot (which is easy to make), come find me.
>>--Just a Squire

Same - though I'm betting Lennon's easier to find.

Samsaren
Re: SR (Paladin Armor Setups) 03/20/2014 02:10 PM CDT
<<Same - though I'm betting Lennon's easier to find.>>

Are you making fun of my stealth abilities? =P

--Just a Squire
Re: SR (Paladin Armor Setups) 03/20/2014 02:38 PM CDT
I'll look someone up sooner or later. I've actually got a similar mix already, just didn't think of using greaves for brig, duh.

Thanks all.
Re: SR (Paladin Armor Setups) 03/20/2014 05:44 PM CDT
>>Badgopher: Could anyone recommend a store based mix that would work?

Mine is similar to Lennon's, except I prefer to put my heavier armor on vitals. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any storebought plate breastplates that just covers the torso.

torso and arms: half plate (plate: Tembeg's Armory for 3,750 Kronars)
head: barrel helm (brigandine: Bantheld's Ironworks for 550 Lirums)
hands: mail gloves (Tembeg's Armory for 60 Kronars)
legs: bone greaves (dropped by scavenger and forager goblins) / chain greaves (Tembeg's Armory for 37 Kronars)

It's hard to keep chain armor moving with just gloves, so the chain greaves can be swapped in as needed.

For storebought armor, Elanthipedia has a great search function: http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/Special:RunQuery/ArmorQuery

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html