Fun With Rebuke 3.1 02/13/2014 01:32 PM CST
Rebuke is pretty great now in test. (Side note: Looks like there a messaging issue with the 5th and 6th strikes)

These are fully targeted (~14 seconds) 95 mana casts at 671 TM against assassins at melee:

You rebuke a Dragon Priest assassin with your pavise shield.
You contribute your harnessed streams to increase the pattern's potential.
Waves of dull golden light emit from the shield which crash over the Dragon Priest assassin.
The first wave inflicts a light (2/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's abdomen.
The staggering force drives it to its knees!
The second wave inflicts a light (2/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's left arm.
The overwhelming force crushes it to ground!
The third wave inflicts a good (4/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's left eye.
The Dragon Priest assassin is lightly stunned!
The fourth wave inflicts a light (2/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's right leg.
The final wave inflicts a good (4/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's abdomen.
The final wave inflicts a light (2/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's left leg.

Roundtime: 1 sec.

Waves of dull golden light emit from the shield which crash over the Dragon Priest assassin.
The first wave passes harmlessly over a Dragon Priest assassin.
The second wave inflicts a hard (6/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's abdomen.
The third wave inflicts a good (4/23) strike to a Dragon Priest assassin's chest.
The fourth wave inflicts a solid (5/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's left arm.
The final wave inflicts a hard (6/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's chest.
The final wave inflicts a heavy (8/23) strike to a Dragon Priest assassin's chest.

Waves of shimmering silver light shine from the shield which crash over the Dragon Priest assassin.
The first wave inflicts a heavy (8/23) strike to a Dragon Priest assassin's back.
The second wave inflicts a massive (12/23) strike to a Dragon Priest assassin's abdomen.
The third wave inflicts a very heavy (9/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's right hand.
The fourth wave inflicts a vicious (14/23) strike to a Dragon Priest assassin's back.
The final wave inflicts an extremely heavy (10/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's left eye.
The final wave inflicts a very heavy (9/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's left leg.
A Dragon Priest assassin curses and then viciously snarls, "My shadowed brethren shall avenge my death!" before expiring with a gurgling hiss.

It kills them in 3 95 mana rebukes pretty consistently at melee. By comparison, fully targeted FST (~8 seconds) at 95-100 mana kills them in about 4-5 hits but is only ~50% as accurate as rebuke. Can barely hit them at missile range with either of the spells. Of course, I can only cast 3 of these before attunement pool is tanked, but it's really nice damage.

Where rebuke really shines is when it's used in small casts in conjunction with a melee weapon...

Waves of shimmering silver light shine from the shield which crash over the Dragon Priest assassin.
The first wave inflicts a light (2/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's right arm.
The final wave inflicts a good (4/23) strike to a Dragon Priest assassin's left arm.

R> att

< Driving in with naturally fluid movements, you slice a massive Dwarven greataxe with a bearded silversteel blade at a Dragon Priest assassin. A Dragon Priest assassin fails to evade, moving almost completely out of harm's reach.
The greataxe suddenly cries out "Justice!" as it flares white hot and lands a massive (12/23) strike that breaks the right femur and cleaves clean through the hamstring, stunning it.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
Re: Fun With Rebuke 3.1 02/13/2014 02:25 PM CST
Tell me, this rebuke of yours, would it happen to be signature?

Signed,

Another paladin and definitely not a moon mage figuring out ways to kill paladins
Re: Fun With Rebuke 3.1 02/13/2014 02:58 PM CST
I think it's still non-signature, but it won't knock down any PC arm-wearing or holding a shield. :(
Re: Fun With Rebuke 3.1 02/14/2014 10:11 AM CST
re·buked re·buk·ing

Full Definition of REBUKE

a : to criticize sharply : reprimand
b : to serve as a rebuke to
: to turn back or keep down : check
— re·buk·er noun
Examples of REBUKE

<the father was forced to rebuke his son for the spendthrift ways he had adopted since arriving at college>
<strongly rebuked the girl for playing with matches>

>> You rebuke a Dragon Priest assassin with your pavise shield.
>> You contribute your harnessed streams to increase the pattern's potential.
>> Waves of shimmering silver light shine from the shield which crash over the Dragon Priest assassin.
>> The first wave inflicts a heavy (8/23) strike to a Dragon Priest assassin's back.
>> The staggering force drives it to its knees!
>> The Dragon Priest assassin is lightly stunned!
>> The second wave inflicts a massive (12/23) strike to a Dragon Priest assassin's abdomen.
>> The overwhelming force crushes it to ground!
>> The third wave inflicts a very heavy (9/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's right hand.
>> The fourth wave inflicts a vicious (14/23) strike to a Dragon Priest assassin's back.
>> The final wave inflicts an extremely heavy (10/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's left eye.
>> The final wave inflicts a very heavy (9/23) hit to a Dragon Priest assassin's left leg.
>> A Dragon Priest assassin curses and then viciously snarls, "My shadowed brethren shall avenge my death!" before expiring with a gurgling hiss.

o is that what we're doin now

I guess sometimes the truth hurts.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Fun With Rebuke 3.1 03/09/2014 01:55 AM CST
I updated Rebuke so it has a (greatly reduced) chance to knock down when the target deflects some of the attack with a shield. This was never meant as total immunity to the knock down. I also fixed the message bug on the 5th wave.

However I've also heard reports of it not always knocking creatures down right (kneeling back to standing or something) but I haven't been able to replicate this yet.

Is anyone still seeing it? Can they give me more details?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Fun With Rebuke 3.1 03/09/2014 10:44 PM CDT
>I updated Rebuke so it has a (greatly reduced) chance to knock down when the target deflects some of the attack with a shield. This was never meant as total immunity to the knock down. I also fixed the message bug on the 5th wave.

This is working great against players now and it works the same on critters as it does on players. Really happy the knockdown works on players now.

For anyone wondering, rebuke feels like a guaranteed knockdown on anything not using a shield. It feels like a random chance (maybe 10%?) to kneel or knock down targets using a shield on each strike.

>Is anyone still seeing it? Can they give me more details?

It was doing the kneel, stand, kneel thing against players but someone, I think GM Socharis, fixed it in test. I've never seen it happen against critters.

Thanks!