Initial Impression on Spells 12/09/2013 12:18 PM CST
Sentinel's Resolve/Veteran – The addition of a reflex and defending buff, and the buff cap increase make the loss of the evasion buff unnoticeable; it’s actually a net increase at higher circles. Fun stuff.

Righteous Wrath – You can really notice how overpowered an OF buff is when you’re dealing with a straight rank buff. It’s a net decrease in effectiveness - rightfully so - but smite helps some. Loss of the range buff hurts in PvE but we still have shatter for the occasional throw in PvP.

Smite – Feels great now. It turns near-misses to hits and buffs damage some for the hit.

*Crusader’s Challenge – I’m having a hard time with the no-retreat feature unless I have a significant stat advantage over my guinea pi… test subject. I’ve tested with a lot of different people. It may be stat deficiency (my paladin has 70 charisma and no char buff; more than that in the other relevant stats) or the fact that it’s a tough spell (my paladin’s max is ~80 mana). I’m having trouble even against people who have ~70 disc even with my max cast. I’m interested to know other paladins’ experience with the spell so far. In any case, since it’s possible to flee under the effects of the spell and dev is leaning toward us being melee-dins, I’m hoping the contest is changed to be weighted a bit more in our favor.

*Truffenyi's Rally – Posted about the dispel issue in another thread (http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Dragon%20Realms%203.1%20Test/Paladins/thread/1609738?get_newest=true). The spirit cost feels really high, although it’s been a surprising amount of fun getting MUs other than clerics to give my paladin spirit deaths. Maybe a cap can be added to the spirit hit? There’d still be a cost since I believe loss in spirit makes characters more susceptible to fort contests even if it doesn’t kill us.

Banner of Truce – Fixed. It’s like it was in m2.0. Really happy to have it back. There’s no way to release it, but that’s intended.

*Rebuke – Damage feels a little better, but it’s hard to tell; knockdown works against critters but it still has the kneel, lie, kneel bug and has no knockdown on opponents using even 1% shield stance (http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Paladins/Bugs/thread/1584774?get_newest=true)

*The asterisks highlight spells/abilities that may not be working as intended.
Re: Initial Impression on Spells 12/09/2013 12:42 PM CST
>>TR

I reduced the spirit drain a little, and also reduced the timer that keeps track of how much the spirit hit grows. Basically, if you are repeatedly having the spell dispel effects from you without a break the spirit cost will get bigger each pulse. In Test, this may be more of an issue than in real life, unless you're just hanging around a player running a cyclic aoe debuff.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Initial Impression on Spells 12/09/2013 01:09 PM CST
>>CRC

I just added some flee prevention stuff. In general there needs to be reasons to train Charisma, so I'm ok with the using spell contests that highly favor charisma rather than catering to the current perception that charisma isn't that important of a stat. Auspice would be a good scroll spell to have to combat both the spirit loss from TR, as well as a Charisma boost for CRC. Aside from that, being at melee helps with the contest, as does attempting it when the opponent gets stunned.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Initial Impression on Spells 12/09/2013 04:42 PM CST
>In Test, this may be more of an issue than in real life, unless you're just hanging around a player running a cyclic aoe debuff.

It was happening with every dispellable spell, including vertigo, which I can't run away from. Technically, I could release the spell to prevent dropping too low in spirit but it seemed counterintuitive. I was mostly looking forward to the dispel to counter soul bond as a melee-din, but using it against all those cleric debilitations was worse than eating the SB and just standing there waving.

I'll have to play with it some more after the changes you made. The spirit drain wasn't bad at first but it spiked quickly.

>I just added some flee prevention stuff. In general there needs to be reasons to train Charisma, so I'm ok with the using spell contests that highly favor charisma rather than catering to the current perception that charisma isn't that important of a stat. Auspice would be a good scroll spell to have to combat both the spirit loss from TR, as well as a Charisma boost for CRC. Aside from that, being at melee helps with the contest, as does attempting it when the opponent gets stunned.

Thanks for the tip about doing it to stunned victims. Didn't know about that. Something new to test.

I don't have a problem at all with the contest. It just seemed harder to land as, say, SF back when I tested it in the same stat range. However, that could totally be because everyone considers discipline a superstat and therefore trains it like crazy. I wanted to try testing with an auspice scroll but haven't been able to get my hands on one.
Re: Initial Impression on Spells 12/09/2013 10:38 PM CST
You sense the Truffenyi's Rally spell upon you, which will last until you fail to provide 1010 mana for it.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Initial Impression on Spells 12/10/2013 08:33 AM CST
>> You sense the Truffenyi's Rally spell upon you, which will last until you fail to provide 1010 mana for it.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Re: Initial Impression on Spells 12/10/2013 09:54 AM CST
Follow up regarding CRC. Sams successfully taunted my paladin with auspice up so it was just stat deficiency and lack of a charisma buff that skewed my perception. All your auspice scrolls are belong to me!

TR feels better, too. The spirit cost also doesn't feel so pronounced at min mana casts, so I think I can just cast it at min mana if I'm more interested in the balance buff and unconsciousness protection. I'll keep testing it. TR has been one of my favorite spells since 3.0.
Re: Initial Impression on Spells 12/10/2013 12:03 PM CST
>> You sense the Truffenyi's Rally spell upon you, which will last until you fail to provide 1010 mana for it.

>>There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Heh. Binary gave me headaches. Hexidecimal was fun though.

There was this as well:

You sense the Truffenyi's Rally spell upon you, which will last until you fail to provide 1008 mana for it.

The output of perception seems to be adding 1000 mana. The spell works normally though.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Initial Impression on Spells 12/31/2013 08:54 AM CST
Just following up on stuff...

>Banner of Truce – Fixed. It’s like it was in m2.0. Really happy to have it back. There’s no way to release it, but that’s intended.

You can release it now, which made me happy. There's a warning before it's fully release, too. Great stuff. Thanks!

>release banner
You calmly flick one hand toward a ghostly white banner, as it quickly starts to fade away.
>
The ghostly banner fades out of sight.

>Rebuke – Damage feels a little better, but it’s hard to tell; knockdown works against critters but it still has the kneel, lie, kneel bug and has no knockdown on opponents using even 1% shield stance (http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Paladins/Bugs/thread/1584774?get_newest=true)

This still happens against PCs only so I'm assuming it has something to do with how it handles players with a shield. Works fine on critters holding a shield.