Prev_page Previous 1
WORM changes. 03/03/2014 01:03 AM CST
I've made a few changes to WORM. The first is that it will no longer interfere with either RoC or WORM. The second is a new REVERSE option that works with the same mechanics as EotB where a cast of sufficient potency will remove the spell from you entirely.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 01:15 AM CST

Thank you Raesh!

I saw the changes to invizo pulse timer. Happy to see this things get hammered out. Is some going to look at Aiming and target on people who you have spot on? I notice i can run around and see my target in the room without even a search. I can advance them no problem. But I cannot target or aim at them. I assume cause I can advance them that I should also be able to aim/target. Again Thank you to all the people who are working on all these changes.

-Zerreck
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 01:16 AM CST

Lastly, can we get a Meta spell that is a real reverse option for WORM? So we can cast it on other people in an offensive way? =)

-Zerreck
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 01:42 AM CST
>>I saw the changes to invizo pulse timer. Happy to see this things get hammered out. Is some going to look at Aiming and target on people who you have spot on? I notice i can run around and see my target in the room without even a search. I can advance them no problem. But I cannot target or aim at them. I assume cause I can advance them that I should also be able to aim/target. Again Thank you to all the people who are working on all these changes.

That's a more core stealth/combat thing that I can speak to. Sorry.

>>Lastly, can we get a Meta spell that is a real reverse option for WORM? So we can cast it on other people in an offensive way? =)

That sounds awfully narrow. If you're just looking for a way to break down barriers on other guilds there are some existing options and it's possible it's something we could look towards adding to the necro spellbook if the current versions are insufficient.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 07:21 AM CST
I think he's thinking of using it as a necro-type malediction. It sounds like a cool idea to me, vs Will.
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 09:22 AM CST

>That sounds awfully narrow. If you're just looking for a way to break down barriers on other guilds there are some existing options and it's possible it's something we could look towards adding to the necro spellbook if the current versions are insufficient.

I was thinking, more of putting a powerful barrier on my target who casts magic. He would then be very resistant to my magic but also unlikely to be able to cast any spells. But then again, that's what I have pets for.

-Zerreck
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 09:55 AM CST

OR... The other idea i had for an offensive version of worms mist was to make ikt a pulsing dispel that eats away at the magic on the target.

-Zerreck
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 11:57 AM CST
I love both those ideas.

I still think self-buffs should be castable with WORM up.
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 12:03 PM CST
>I still think self-buffs should be castable with WORM up.

That's the trade-off you're paying for having such a potent barrier.
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 12:56 PM CST

I think the trade off of not being able to cast Debil/TM is already bad enough. Thematically, I don't see how being wrapped in an armor of stinky magic prevents me from, say, altering my nervous system or making boney plates grow out of my shoulders. Game balance wise, being able to still cast self-buffs would increase the utility of WORM in all combat, as casting WORM as an emergency, 'NEED PROTECTION NOW' wouldn't then require fleeing, dropping WORM, buffing yourself, and returning.
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 01:04 PM CST
>>Thematically, I don't see how being wrapped in an armor of stinky magic prevents me from, say, altering my nervous system or making boney plates grow out of my shoulders.

Skipping the balance issue for the moment, the thematics behind it is informed by the idea that spellcasting involves creating a spell pattern in three-dimensional space, which then gets "anchored" into the target. Skin-tight magic barriers would interfere with the process, since you still need to cross it to get the pattern "out there" "in here."

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 01:13 PM CST
Ah, interesting. As soon as I posted that I thought about the messaging a bit, and realized that I believe all Trans spells do all include something to the tune of 'you generate magic, and then channel it into your body'. So. That.

What about being able to shift the WORM barrier to NEAR/FAR without recasting?
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 01:29 PM CST

also in 2.0 worms was the best magic barrier around and there were very few. Now there are many magic barriers, and some are far better then worms. Ghost shroud for example is far superior of a spell, while it only really stops TM it has no effect at all on the cleric using it. and it cannot be dispelled. In 2.0 worms also used to stop almost all incoming at level magic with ease, the trade off was i had no magic either. This is no longer the case. while i give up all my magic still, i regularly am still effected by other peoples spells.

Zerreck
Re: WORM changes. 03/03/2014 02:24 PM CST
>>Ghost shroud for example is far superior of a spell, while it only really stops TM it has no effect at all on the cleric using it. and it cannot be dispelled.

Keep in mind that GHS is changing from an accuracy debuff to a damage debuff in 3.1. It also doesn't really stop spells as much as influence some rolls on if it will hit or not (or how much damage it will do in 3.1).

IMO, WORM is the strongest long term magic barrier out there.

That said, being able to summon the miasma around other players would be a hilarious application of the spell. I could definitely see myself getting more mileage out of that vs using it on myself.

I'd totally pay 4 slots for it to be half warding/half Magic vs Reflexes debilitation.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: WORM changes. 03/20/2014 08:57 PM CDT

>Keep in mind that GHS is changing from an accuracy debuff to a damage debuff in 3.1. It also doesn't really stop spells as much as influence some rolls on if it will hit or not (or how much damage it will do in 3.1).

So I tested this with a friend on test. Without GHS i can hit him 10/10. When GHS is up, I miss 1/2 the time. Still clearly looks like an accuracy debuff at the same time.

On that note, how would it look if worms mist actually moved to a Cyclic ward? This would likely help the starting/stopping of worms mist. I have a really big issue with having to cast ROC to drop worms mist mid fight, and losing every other buff I have up.

Similar to Aether cloak, but without the backlash.

Is this at all possible? If not. Just say so, and i will drop it.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 05:29 AM CDT
>>This would likely help the starting/stopping of worms mist. I have a really big issue with having to cast ROC to drop worms mist mid fight, and losing every other buff I have up.

Can't speak to the request directly, but as an aside, you shouldn't have to do this to get rid of WORM. Part of these changes was to include a way to get rid of it without having to use RoC while still correcting things to once again work with some of the lore that had gotten kind of overlooked in the 3.0 magic changes.

Like Raesh mentioned in his release post, there is a new REVERSE casting option that you can use with WORM that has the same principle as EoTB did originally, with a re-cast of EotB removing the original EotB effect. If you haven't checked it out yet, please do and let us know how it feels, especially mid-fight.

-Persida
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 09:38 AM CDT

>Like Raesh mentioned in his release post, there is a new REVERSE casting option that you can use with WORM that has the same principle as EoTB did originally, with a re-cast of EotB removing the original EotB effect. If you haven't checked it out yet, please do and let us know how it feels, especially mid-fight.

Is it released in test? I tried at a lot of different mana levels to recast this spell to reverse it. And it never happened. I did however notice that i could drop it with ROC now. Which is useful for training i guess?

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 09:51 AM CDT

My bad, With eotb you just have to cast at a certain mana. not cast REVERSE. So it is there. 40 mana might be a bit high to reverse it for me. But it is far better then nothing. I still like the idea of worms being cyclic or resisting dispel. We have the spell slots! Lets use them for something! =)

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 09:54 AM CDT
>Keep in mind that GHS is changing from an accuracy debuff to a damage debuff in 3.1. It also doesn't really stop spells as much as influence some rolls on if it will hit or not (or how much damage it will do in 3.1).

I think GHS treats TM the same in 3.1 as it did in 3.0. The change from accuracy barrier to damage barrier applies only to the mundane ranged weapon (i.e. LT, HT, XB, sling, stick bow) ward facet of the spell IIRC. Unless that's changed or I misunderstood the changes... Haven't followed too closely. Anyway, apples and oranges really since GHS doesn't ward against debilitation. I think the closest warding spells are soldier's prayer and lay ward, maybe shear if we're pushing it.

It'd be pretty cool if you could expel the worms in the direction of someone you target to eliminate the spell from yourself and somehow debilitate your enemy; maybe a mini-vertigo effect?
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 10:02 AM CDT

Ghs is better then then worms in so many ways as a spell. While it may not effect debilitation, clerics are still throwing anti stun into an orb and not having to worry about most debil anyways. You only really need a ward against TM and Debil. The cyclic wards will always win because there is no way to remove them from your target. I can never get rid of Aether cloak or Ghost shroud. Yet they are always a single cast away from removing my ward. Worms mist is actually somewhat low on the totem pole of wards right now. And at one point it was labeled as the best.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 10:37 AM CDT
>>I have a really big issue with having to cast ROC to drop worms mist mid fight, and losing every other buff I have up.

Cast Worm Reverse.

... never mind. I thought I was up to date on the forums when I replied. I was not.

-Raesh

Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 10:48 AM CDT

>... never mind. I thought I was up to date on the forums when I replied. I was not.

I made that mistake once myself today. But what about the idea of worms mist actually moving to a cyclic spell? It just seems so easy to dispel. Or even better, paying a spell slot so it just cant be dispelled.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 10:54 AM CDT
It would be a cool feature of trans spells if they can't be dispelled at all, which would also connect to how they can't be willingly released as a whole.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 11:49 AM CDT
>Ghs is better then then worms in so many ways as a spell. While it may not effect debilitation, clerics are still throwing anti stun into an orb and not having to worry about most debil anyways. You only really need a ward against TM and Debil. The cyclic wards will always win because there is no way to remove them from your target. I can never get rid of Aether cloak or Ghost shroud. Yet they are always a single cast away from removing my ward. Worms mist is actually somewhat low on the totem pole of wards right now. And at one point it was labeled as the best.

No argument there. I was just trying to point out that to make WORM as strong as a specialized barrier would probably require changing it like you said, making it more specialized and/or making it a cyclic, etc. Right now they don't really compare.

I still really like the idea of meta spells to customize spells in spellbooks. For instance, people who like WORM as it is, can pick up WORM alone and people who prefer a strong TM-only ward could pick up a metaspell that would allow it, and maybe another metaspell to make it a cyclic or add dispel resistance, etc. Customization without overwhelming complexity.
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 03:17 PM CDT
<<I made that mistake once myself today. But what about the idea of worms mist actually moving to a cyclic spell? It just seems so easy to dispel. Or even better, paying a spell slot so it just cant be dispelled.

If you made it a cyclic spell, what cost would that incur?

It certainly prevents one from casting (i.e. having active) another cyclic spell. Of the two cyclic spells available, ROC and USOL, are there times you'd like to have worm's mist and one of those active. Probably not ROC, but USOL is a viable candidate, no? Or can USOL not be active?

Nikpack
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 05:57 PM CDT
>If you made it a cyclic spell, what cost would that incur?

It's funny, making it cyclic would actually make it cost 1 spell slot less...

And I just sit there looking at all my open spell slots, wishing I had the same issue everyone else has of having to decide between spells. The mastery skills do nothing for me anymore. So after the faster casting feats. AND the symbioses feats+ slots i am forced to take just to train my character, I still have a ton left. While make it cheaper is not the direction I really want to go in. It would fix the problem.

A suggestion I was thinking of was possibly special necromancer magic feats,

1)Transcendental specialization - Makes all Transcendental spells harder to dispel

2)Transcendental mastery (requires Transcendental specialization) - Makes all Transcendental spell immune to dispel.

3)Transcendental superiority (requires Transcendental specialization) Doubles the duration of all Transcendental spells.

While I think paying 1 spell slot on each Trans spell to make it immune to dispel is far to costly, 2 slots to effect them all, would be right in line. But also not required for younger necromancers who cant afford such things.

>It certainly prevents one from casting (i.e. having active) another cyclic spell. Of the two cyclic spells available, ROC and USOL, are there times you'd like to have worm's mist and one of those active. Probably not ROC, but USOL is a viable candidate, no? Or can USOL not be active?

When I have worms up i cannot get any spell off even tried casting them around 200 mana just to try. Usol is stopped by worms mist to my knowledge.
So making it cyclic would not really impact our other cyclics at all.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 06:36 PM CDT
No offense, but the cleric hax need toning down, not expansion to other guilds. Dispel and rend are the only anti-cleric options, but 'ware syba lybaabsba and the fact that by cyclics and orb, they can make sure the one cast you get isn't going to touch some stuff. If GHS is that bad, it needs adjustment. It's already too hard to kill each other without dispels (including necromancers, which can basically kill with immunity vs any at level but barbs via pets and worms).

Basically, down with the arms race.

Alternatively, up with shear too!
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 09:46 PM CDT
To be fair, a lot of the power from Clerics is that our toolset is fairly robust (which is a good thing). The problem you run into currently is that with the open preview we can access all parts of this toolbox at any given time. This will not be as likely once 3.1 drops and the preview reaches an end. C'est la vie using all my spells.
Re: WORM changes. 03/21/2014 10:05 PM CDT
I think it's a little of both. I've felt clerics are OP since 3.0 dropped, even without access to everything all the time, it's just too synergistic compared to other guilds.
Re: WORM changes. 03/22/2014 06:00 AM CDT
I think a lot of this will look better after 3.2 - that's really when we plan to tackle barriers of all sorts.

-Raesh

Re: WORM changes. ::NUDGE:: 03/22/2014 12:39 PM CDT
While I've enjoyed the conversation (it's been engaging), let's move the discussion of the how awesome the clerics guild is up to the cleric's folder. Thanks!

Helje
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Helje@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at DR-Sidatura@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: WORM changes. ::NUDGE:: 03/22/2014 12:44 PM CDT
Other guild balance issues aside, I do feel making WORM a cyclic would actually be a pretty nice solution to the issue. Having an EotB recast to remove option is also something that works pretty well, but given the cons to the barrier (which are harsh, but would be reasonable given the theme and mechanic if it was as potent a barrier as it should be), having it be more easily dropped by the caster would be a nice QoL improvement tot he spell that would make me consider picking it up in 3.1, whereas now, I'm fairly certain I'll postpone selecting it until I have a handful more spell slots.
Re: WORM changes. ::NUDGE:: 03/22/2014 01:15 PM CDT
I think there's a couple issues. The first is that, from what I hear, Worm's acts like shear in that it's useless if the attacker pumps enough mana into the attacking spell. Since we're all casting at the caps in PvP, that makes Worm (like shear) pretty useless. It sounds like this might be reviewed as part of barriers with 3.2.

On the cyclic front, if Worms does indeed get some heavy barrier power to it that can't be bypassed with more mana, there's serious balance issues with making a necromancer basically immune to magic while simultaneously allowing them to control an attacking option (pets) that is, right now, very, very vicious. As came up the last time we discussed the power of the necromancer pets, the retort is generally "don't attack the pet, attack the necromancer." And that was generally the justification for the exceptional power of the pets. If attacking the necromancer comes off the table because of a vicious cyclic (meaning cannot be dispelled) magic barrier, they become pretty invincible to anyone except barbarians (and even that might be stretching it considering what Zerreck's pets can do to like, Gort).

In any case, that's a slightly more cogent explanation of what I was trying to get at in my earlier post. It sounds like the 3.2 barrier changes might make a world of difference for barriers like Worms and Shear.
Re: WORM changes. ::NUDGE:: 03/22/2014 01:48 PM CDT
> cyclic (meaning cannot be dispelled)

I think the fact that cyclics are completely immune to dispelling is a problem. A dispel should put a cyclic into integrity-debt, which it has to pay off with its pulses, and its effects should be suppressed until the debt is paid.
Re: WORM changes. ::NUDGE:: 03/22/2014 02:17 PM CDT

The problem comes when a zombie is so easy to avoid, it is basically not even a threat anymore. Anyone with pulsing inviz is instantly immune, clerics my level using halo, (tested for 10 min length of halo) never once made it to melee long enough to swing. I even made him jump a couple times.
As long as someone only faces me, and not my zombie, He doesn't search and you can hide on hit with sub 500 ranks of stealth. Again, immune to it.

Zombie AI is dumb. And that's okay. But implying i have some perfect offense ability will make me to powerful with a ward that actually stops magic and cannot be dispelled, seems a bit rough. Though i do hope all wards get looked at. Because they don't seem to be filling the niche they are intended to.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: WORM changes. ::NUDGE:: 03/22/2014 03:32 PM CDT
<<The problem comes when a zombie is so easy to avoid, it is basically not even a threat anymore. Anyone with pulsing inviz is instantly immune,>>

Isn't that just MMs and thieves? And I don't know if you've had a chance to play with pulsing invis since the last changes, but it doesn't pulse like it used to. If you point someone out, or they attack once, it's something like a minimum of 25 seconds before it pulses again. That's plenty of time for a charging-from-missile pet to get some nasty licks in.

<<clerics my level using halo, (tested for 10 min length of halo) never once made it to melee long enough to swing.>>

Yeah, we're in agreement that clerics have a sick toolbox. At the risk of getting the post jacked, I'm inclined to say the focus there should be on fixing unbalanced things, to the extent they exist, on the cleric's side. Total engagement range control without drawback (whole displacement, for example, prevents effective aims/targets while active) is tough.

<<As long as someone only faces me, and not my zombie, He doesn't search and you can hide on hit with sub 500 ranks of stealth. Again, immune to it.>>

But said person can't hide on you, and you are capable of pointing said person. But even without that, I agree that zombies should have better anti-stealth AI.

I'm not trying to crash on necros or Worms or zombies or anything, Z, and I really didn't mean to jack the thread. I don't have anything more to add anyway--here's to seeing how the barrier rewrite goes.
Re: WORM changes. ::NUDGE:: 03/22/2014 04:07 PM CDT
>Isn't that just MMs and thieves? And I don't know if you've had a chance to play with pulsing invis since the last changes, but it doesn't pulse like it used to. If you point someone out, or they attack once, it's something like a minimum of 25 seconds before it pulses again. That's plenty of time for a charging-from-missile pet to get some nasty licks in.

I have not actually, that is good to know,

>I'm not trying to crash on necros or Worms or zombies or anything, Z, and I really didn't mean to jack the thread. I don't have anything more to add anyway--here's to seeing how the barrier rewrite goes.

Oh I know. I will not stop posting about Necromancer's 27+ open spells slots, and ways to fill that up and put necro's back on an even playing field tool wise. I know not everyone is going to agree with my suggestions. Some of them are likely even bad. But last i heard about a necro spell was a Small edged buff. And i just see no possible way that will ever get used at high end. I mean we have the one combat cyclic, which is hard to use at best without fear of reports. No ritual spells. And no high slot super powerful spells other than the zombie. (which is only 3 slots, compared to the 5 or 6 slot cost awesome spells out there.) Not to say the Zombie is not worth every last penny.

So please feel free to keep posting. I want other peoples input and attention on these things.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: WORM changes. ::NUDGE:: 03/22/2014 04:53 PM CDT
>On the cyclic front, if Worms does indeed get some heavy barrier power to it that can't be bypassed with more mana, there's serious balance issues with making a necromancer basically immune to magic while simultaneously allowing them to control an attacking option (pets) that is, right now, very, very vicious.

I don't entirely agree that a Necromancer with WORM up (assuming a super WORM, wherein all incoming spells were negated) using a pet is really that much of an OP power house. Zombies are very powerful, to be sure, but it's still a secondary skill set and the Necromancer is still the weakest point. I'm not sure how this jives in the 1000+ skill range, but in the PvP I've been involved in, in the 500's, my Necromancer struggles to stay alive, and my Zombie is the even match. As the games dominant pet class, I feel that thematically this is a fairly reasonable place to be.

Given our affiliation for Sorcery, WORM is a pretty significant tactical decision, and in many cases is somewhat akin to turtling. You give up a lot of options, similar to how Shear prevents MB.
Re: WORM changes. ::NUDGE:: 03/22/2014 04:58 PM CDT

>I'm not sure how this jives in the 1000+ skill range

There is no question, you better call your friends to fight a zombie. He is a defensive bulwark. His offense is actually not that high. I also generally use my on defense, further lowering his offense. But hands down, I am 10X easier to kill then my zombie. With weapons or spells.

Though like you said, I think its fitting that our pets are a serious threat, and actually tougher then we are.

It's not that different from a sphere that can't be dispelled or attacked in any way.
(in no way an attack on Sphere, I think its an awesome spell)

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: WORM changes. ::NUDGE:: 03/22/2014 05:31 PM CDT
>But hands down, I am 10X easier to kill then my zombie. With weapons or spells.

My sense is we agree on this point; I think the above is key, it's supposed to be like that. WORM improves our survivability by giving us a tool to mitigate magic damage, and fairly, eliminates a huge portion of our capabilities. If WORM actually stopped all incoming (and outgoing!) magic, and was not dispellable, and was nearly instantly releasable by the Necromancer, I wouldn't find it to be overpowered.

>He is a defensive bulwark. His offense is actually not that high.

Out of curiosity, why is this so? My zombies can easily beat senseless the stuff I train TM on, and easily survive in all stances. I'm surprised to hear that at the high skill range, their offenses aren't as great as their defenses.
Prev_page Previous 1