general necro observations (and potential concerns) 12/08/2013 10:43 PM CST
1) There are no non-DO-generating Warding spells in the Necro spellbooks.

2) There is an intro and an advanced Augmentation spells that don't cause DO.

3) TM is flush with non-DO-generating spells.

4) There is only one non-DO-generating Utility spell in the Necro spellbooks (ROC). ROC requires EOTB, EOTB requires VoD or PV, PV/VOD both require Obfuscation. This means in order to learn RoC you need to dedicate 5 slots to the Corruption magic tree. That's only 5 circles worth from the starting gate, but that also means only learning Augmentation (with Obfuscation/EOTB) and Debilitation (PV or VOD) the first few circles.

5) To learn Warding using the Necro spellbook at all (with DO, mind you), you need CH or WORM. CH/WORM requires PHP, PHP requires IVM, IVM requires two of ACS, HP, or Obfuscation. Assuming that you also wanted to learn utility without DO as soon as possible, that means you'll need to spend seven slots to get to WORM or CH (eight if you count the slot needed for Obfuscation).

6) If you wanted to train all magic types via the Necro spellbook ASAP (DO or otherwise), you need to reach level 15. Getting RoC will take care of Debilitation and Augmentation. Getting WORM takes care of TM and Warding, assuming you go for ACS.

7) Speaking of ACS, you kinda have to go for that right out the gate since there's a 2 TM req from the 1st circle onward. Sure, you can listen to classes, but really now.

8) To get all the "now you're a legit necromancer" spells (you know, SRE, CF, CFB, & ROC... at least in my mind). It comes down to 28 slots (unless I stink at counting, which is possible). Since we get 20 slots from 1-20, then every two levels after that until 50th, that means we'd have the full suite (in my mind) of what spells make Necromancers true Necromancers by 36th.

9) If you cared only about CFB, you only need 4 slots, but you have to wait until 20th for both the ritual/spell to unlock. If we were more honest, you'd need 6 slots, since you kinda do need Necrotic Reconstruction to get anywhere with CFB.

10) If you only cared about CF, you need 10 slots. But you'd still need to reach 15th to get the ritual and have access to the actual spell.

11) If you only cared about SRE, you need 17 slots.

12) I miss USOL already.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: general necro observations (and potential concerns) 12/09/2013 12:30 AM CST
>7) Speaking of ACS, you kinda have to go for that right out the gate since there's a 2 TM req from the 1st circle onward. Sure, you can listen to classes, but really now.

I got my first 8 circles worth of TM and other magics from classes while finding the guild and then doing the quest (It's not like I had anything better to be doing). So I'm like... eehh.

Because Necromancers.
-TEVESHSZAT
Re: general necro observations (and potential concerns) 12/09/2013 01:03 AM CST
As I said, classes can happen, but I don't like the idea of a required magic being "well learn a TM spell first or take classes"

I think the only other guild with a strict TM req are War Mages, and all their first circle spells are TM.

(note: closer inspection made me realize clerics can take a non augmentation spell out the gate while still having a hard augmentation req)

IMO, I'd rather just see HP and OB require 2nd circle, so people kinda have to take ACS first. I totally get that you can get around the roadblock with teaching, but it seems weird to create that situation in the first place.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.