Discern and quest spells 03/03/2014 09:19 PM CST
While using discern to update slots costs today I discovered that it appears quest spells don't offer a slot cost in the discern info.
Research/Symbiosis 03/03/2014 11:37 PM CST

So I figured out how to cast GAF, and do research- did research fundamentals

And then what?

I couldn't figure out the next part.

I think that the research help section may need some revamping to make this part all clearer.

I tried to learn symbiosis but kept being asked to say what type of symbiosis I was trying to research.

But of course symbiosis is not even part of the list.

I will go back and read the comments again, but I was attempting to figure out Research using the tools available- and I failed.
Re: Research/Symbiosis 03/03/2014 11:53 PM CST
I expect the documentation to get a bit of work once the system gets closer to release. Here is a brief explanation until then:

There are two types of research projects: Exp rewarding research projects and Symbiosis projects. All projects require the Gauge Flow GAF spell while Symbiosis requires the Symbiotic Research feat for the basic project and the Elemental Defense, Magical Interference, Physical Matrices, Mental Matrices, Survivalist and Scholar feats for more advanced boosts. Exp projects require you to invest certain amount of time (10-15 minutes worth usually) into them before you get a breakthrough, since you can only do 300 seconds worth at once this will always require multiple research attempts. Symbiosis research unlocks that particular prep, which you can use to prepare any spell with, this prep stays with you until you switch and looks like this:

You remember a way to combine the weaves of the Heal symbiosis with another spell.

Once you have a Symbiosis ready just Prep Symb, Prep Spell, Cast. The spell is now much harder and has an additional small effect, based on the Symbiosis you've prepared.

Exp rewarding projects:
Fundamental Research [FUNDAMENTAL]
Augmentation Patterns Research [AUGMENTATION]
Mana Stream Theory [STREAM]
Sorcerous Research [SORCERY] *
Utility Patterns Research [UTILITY]
Warding Patterns Research [WARDING]
High Energy Spellcasting [ENERGY] *

Symbiosis projects:
The Strengthen Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS STRENGTHEN]
The Endure Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS ENDURE]
The Avoid Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS AVOID]
The Spring Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS SPRING]
The Remember Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS REMEMBER]
The Resolve Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS RESOLVE]
The Impress Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS IMPRESS]
The Discern Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS DISCERN]
The Explore Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS EXPLORE]
The Watch Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS WATCH]
The Harvest Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS HARVEST]
The Heal Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS HEAL]
The Learn Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS LEARN]
The Examine Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS EXAMINE]
The Perform Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS PERFORM]
The Cast Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS CAST]
The Harness Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS HARNESS]
The Activate Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS ACTIVATE]

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Research/Symbiosis 03/04/2014 08:38 AM CST
if you scroll a bit further back in this thread, I asked what each project does and someone included an explanation. I don't believe you need to prep symb before you prep the spell.
Re: Research/Symbiosis 03/04/2014 08:56 AM CST

>I don't believe you need to prep symb before you prep the spell.

In case that was unclear; I think you can PREP SPELL, PREP SYMB, CAST. Order is unimportant.
Re: Research/Symbiosis 03/06/2014 01:49 AM CST
>>I expect the documentation to get a bit of work once the system gets closer to release.

Yep. We'll have full HELP pages for both RESEARCH and SYMBIOSIS before we go.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.