Research Bug + Request 02/28/2014 12:02 AM CST
Right now, you can learn Symbiotic Research, then learn Survivalist/Scholar/etc, and forget symbiotic research without forgetting the others first. BUT then your list doesn't show any of them. So that sounds like a bug.

That said, any chance that Symbiotic Research could be named something else (like "Magician"?) and not require it to learn the other options? Obviously my own personal leanings here, but magic buffs are something I'm not too interested in, and I wish it wasn't a barrier toward the others.

I'm hoping that having to learn the spell can be a big enough gateway to any of them.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Research Bug + Request 02/28/2014 11:32 AM CST
Learning the spell is the gateway to research, the feat is the gateway to symbioses. It's intentional that they're separate, because Symbiotic Research is another investment along the path of more scholarly pursuits (Rather than just casting spells that are purely powerful).

>>I'm hoping that having to learn the spell can be a big enough gateway to any of them.

Remember that the spell will come as a scroll, so it will be both commonly available AND can be used in a scroll slot. Because of this, the actual investment to get access to RESEARCH can be a scroll slot rather than two spell slots.

>>Right now, you can learn Symbiotic Research, then learn Survivalist/Scholar/etc, and forget symbiotic research without forgetting the others first. BUT then your list doesn't show any of them. So that sounds like a bug.

You won't be able to actually research another symbiosis, though. It'll tell you that you don't know how.

Definitely a bug that you can forget prereqs of feats, though. Good catch!

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Research Bug + Request 02/28/2014 11:43 AM CST
>Remember that the spell will come as a scroll, so it will be both commonly available AND can be used in a scroll slot. Because of this, the actual investment to get access to RESEARCH can be a scroll slot rather than two spell slots.

Ahah! I was wondering if this was possible, thanks for the confirmation. Using GAF in a scroll slot is likely going to be a popular choice for players that are not invested in casting out of guild spells, as it saves 2 spell slots. The downside to this method is the possibility of losing the spell on death.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Research Bug + Request 02/28/2014 12:37 PM CST
>>The downside to this method is the possibility of losing the spell on death.

Yep! It's actually kind of a pleasant tradeoff. If you want to go all-in on research and symbioses, you're going to spend some slots. If not, you can spend some money to dabble until you decide whether or not it's for you.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.