Research 02/01/2014 08:20 AM CST
Tried testing this out with my Paladin char from prime.

Research Project listed <only one> was Fundamental Research.

I selected Research Fundamental 300 <it gives you a length of 30 to 300 seconds to research>.

I learned exactly zip, nada, zilch. After 300 seconds had passed it gave me the following message:

"You make definite progress in your Fundamental Research project and decide to take a break. However, there is no still more to learn before you arrive at a breakthrough."

About 30 seconds later, it told me -

"As time passes, you forget some of the finer points about your Fundamental Research project"

fine, because it never gave me any experience for doing anything in the first place.

"No skills have field exper" -- etc.

What is the point of this again???

<<If I can't cast thunderclap, you can't summon the dark lord of the abyss to devour the flesh of the innocent>>
Re: Research 02/01/2014 08:26 AM CST
As Socharis posted, you only learn when you complete the research.

> You make definite progress in your Fundamental Research project and decide to take a break. However, there is no still more to learn before you arrive at a breakthrough.

You didn't complete the research. Fundamentals takes 20 minutes of total research time. You can check your progress using 'research status'.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 11:12 AM CST
Yeah it's the post literally 3 posts above yours :-P.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 11:21 AM CST
So, I'm enjoying this system and tinkering around with it, but;

Fundamental Research [FUNDAMENTAL]
The Strengthen Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS STRENGTHEN]
The Endure Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS ENDURE]
The Avoid Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS AVOID]
The Spring Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS SPRING]
The Remember Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS REMEMBER]
The Resolve Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS RESOLVE]
The Impress Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS IMPRESS]
The Discern Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS DISCERN]
The Explore Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS EXPLORE]
The Watch Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS WATCH]
The Harvest Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS HARVEST]
The Heal Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS HEAL]
The Learn Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS LEARN]
The Examine Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS EXAMINE]
The Perform Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS PERFORM]
The Cast Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS CAST]
The Harness Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS HARNESS]
The Activate Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS ACTIVATE]

What do all these do?
Re: Research 02/01/2014 11:29 AM CST
> What do all these do?

With the caveat that I've only tested some of them...

Fundamental Research [FUNDAMENTAL] -- Teaches PM
The Strengthen Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS STRENGTHEN] -- Half strength STR buff
The Endure Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS ENDURE] -- Half strength STA buff
The Avoid Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS AVOID] -- Half strength REF buff
The Spring Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS SPRING] -- Half strength AGI buff
The Remember Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS REMEMBER] -- Half strength INT buff
The Resolve Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS RESOLVE] -- Half strength DIS buff
The Impress Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS IMPRESS] -- Half strength CHA buff
The Discern Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS DISCERN] -- Half strength WIS buff
The Explore Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS EXPLORE] -- Athletics buff?
The Watch Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS WATCH] -- Perception buff?
The Harvest Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS HARVEST] -- Outdoorsmanship buff?
The Heal Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS HEAL] -- FA buff?
The Learn Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS LEARN] -- Scholarship buff?
The Examine Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS EXAMINE] -- APP buff?
The Perform Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS PERFORM] -- Performance buff?
The Cast Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS CAST] -- PM buff?
The Harness Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS HARNESS] -- Attunement buff?
The Activate Symbiosis [SYMBIOSIS ACTIVATE] -- Arcana buff?
Re: Research 02/01/2014 11:47 AM CST
Oohhhh, interesting! Ok, I'm not entirely sure I understand how this works;

So you do a research symbiosis, say, STRENGTHEN, to completion, and then PREP SYMBIOSIS, and PREP a spell, and the spell is now a lot harder, and also provides a strength buff? And the research project remains known indefinitely, until I switch to a different one?

I picked up all (I think anyway) the symbiosis related feats for testing purposes, but I'm not seeing anything that resembles barriers? Is there a command I'm missing for that?

One quick thing I feel is pertinent; it would be nice to have an option to cancel research to switch to another. If you start a project and then change your mind, it's a drag to have to complete a project before switching, especially because you can do almost nothing until you finish.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 11:57 AM CST
>So you do a research symbiosis, say, STRENGTHEN, to completion, and then PREP SYMBIOSIS, and PREP a spell, and the spell is now a lot harder, and also provides a strength buff? And the research project remains known indefinitely, until I switch to a different one?

Yes, thats what I gathered from spending a couple of hours toying with it yesterday. Its very nice!

>I picked up all (I think anyway) the symbiosis related feats for testing purposes, but I'm not seeing anything that resembles barriers? Is there a command I'm missing for that?

I think the barriers are not implemented yet, all barriers are subject to a review but I dont know if thats going to be included in 3.1.

>One quick thing I feel is pertinent; it would be nice to have an option to cancel research to switch to another.

I thing RESEARCH CANCEL is listed when you type RESEARCH in without any parameters, though I could be wrong.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Research 02/01/2014 12:23 PM CST
Ah, gotcha, neat, thanks

So, with STRENGTHEN symbiosis up, an intro spell that doesn't teach at all is teaching 3+ tics (i'm still walking up the ranges to see how much i can pump into this), so, in terms of making spells train again, this works famously, and is a good way it seems to round out some extra buffing that you may have limited access to.

This is great; I'm able to use MaF to train Warding. This is actually WAAAAAY easier to move my magics on a character that was having a very difficult time doing it before, and the added flexibility of being able to add a buff is nice.

I'm noticing this message periodically though;
You notice your augmented strength slip away.

Which I presume is the symbiosis fading. Is the deal here that the symbiosis itself is on a separate timer from the spell it's woven into?
Re: Research 02/01/2014 12:46 PM CST
> Which I presume is the symbiosis fading. Is the deal here that the symbiosis itself is on a separate timer from the spell it's woven into?

Yes. Once cast, symbioses are their own thing; you can release the original spell and the symbiosis will stick around. They have a duration like standard buff spells (40 minutes at cap), meaning you won't get increased duration by tying them to a ritual spell, for example.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 12:50 PM CST
>>They have a duration like standard buff spells (40 minutes at cap), meaning you won't get increased duration by tying them to a ritual spell, for example.

I can't use my character in test right now (otherwise I'd check myself!), but is there currently a way to see how long a symbiosis lasts?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 12:52 PM CST
> I can't use my character in test right now (otherwise I'd check myself!), but is there currently a way to see how long a symbiosis lasts?

Not that I could find. They also can't be released, and I imagine they can't be dispelled.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 12:57 PM CST
>They have a duration like standard buff spells (40 minutes at cap), meaning you won't get increased duration by tying them to a ritual spell, for example.

By cap, I presume you mean that the symbiosis duration is tied to the spell you weave it on, even if that spell has a different duration?

So, quick suggestion; RESEARCH FUNDAMENTALS provides PM and Arcana, but I find these to be pretty easy to move otherwise. Maybe reduce the total xp awarded, reduce the total time required, and spread the xp over PM, Attunement, Arcana, Warding, Utility and Aug, or at least change it so you can do fundamental research in those other magic types.

As a tool for newbies to train, this would make it much more useful, whereas I don't foresee anyone with more than a few hundred ranks using FUNDAMENTALs much at all. Every MU has PM and Arcana constantly moving from simply using spells, whereas some MUs (my Necromancer for example) has a harder time moving Aug/Warding. That said, symbiosis meant my necromancer could move Aug/Warding with ease, so maybe something a bit different could be done to FUNDAMENTAL research?
Re: Research 02/01/2014 12:58 PM CST
Also, I'm sure the list of actions that will interrupt research will continually be tweaked, but presently you can PERC without interrupting. Not sure if that's intended or not.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 01:00 PM CST
> By cap, I presume you mean that the symbiosis duration is tied to the spell you weave it on, even if that spell has a different duration?

Yes, the size and duration of the boost is determined by the amount of mana you use with the associated spell.

> or at least change it so you can do fundamental research in those other magic types.

You can. Before I took any feats, this is what I had available:

Augmentation Patterns Research [AUGMENTATION]
Mana Stream Theory [STREAM]
Sorcerous Research [SORCERY] *
Utility Patterns Research [UTILITY]
Warding Patterns Research [WARDING]
High Energy Spellcasting [ENERGY] *
Mana Field Theory [FIELD] *
Spell Research [SPELL] *

I imagine it's based on Arcana.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 01:09 PM CST
Yeesh, I think the ranges at which stuff is unlocked needs to be assessed then. My moonie has 600 Arcana and has access to these:

Augmentation Patterns Research [AUGMENTATION]
Mana Stream Theory [STREAM]
Sorcerous Research [SORCERY] *
Utility Patterns Research [UTILITY]
Warding Patterns Research [WARDING]

What's ENERGY, FIELD, STREAM and SPELL do?

But yeah, I feel it's better to have AUG/WARD/UTILITY available to younger players rather than more experienced players, since they are the one's more likely to have issues training these skills. Unless these are very specifically meant to only be a higher range training device?
Re: Research 02/01/2014 02:44 PM CST
> What's ENERGY, FIELD, STREAM and SPELL do?

STREAM: teaches Attunement.

ENERGY: teaches Attunement. Only takes 15 minutes, while STREAM takes 20, but apparently ENERGY is dangerous?

FIELD: teaches Sorcery. Takes 20 minutes. Not sure what how it's different from SORCERY, which also takes 20 minutes.

SPELL: taught me Warding. I'd guess it teaches a random magic skill, but I don't have time to test it now. Takes 20 minutes.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 03:47 PM CST
There might be a few bugs to iron out, but Mana Field and Spell Research are supposed to be teaching multiple skills.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Research 02/01/2014 03:50 PM CST
>>Which I presume is the symbiosis fading. Is the deal here that the symbiosis itself is on a separate timer from the spell it's woven into?

Ultimately we would like the symbioses to be similar to the duration of the spell, but it's not always possible. This will adjust over time as we find the discrepancies. Not worth filing bugs over right now though.

>>Not that I could find. They also can't be released, and I imagine they can't be dispelled.

I should probably do something about this. Ideally they'd be dispellable. Releasing one is entirely unimportant because it recasts every time anyway. RELEASE SYMBIOSIS is already used for an activated symbiosis, and overloading it is a bad idea.

>>So, quick suggestion; RESEARCH FUNDAMENTALS provides PM and Arcana, but I find these to be pretty easy to move otherwise. Maybe reduce the total xp awarded, reduce the total time required, and spread the xp over PM, Attunement, Arcana, Warding, Utility and Aug, or at least change it so you can do fundamental research in those other magic types.

To be honest, RESEARCH isn't supposed to be a replacement or a better way to learn, per se. It's an alternative to repeatedly casting spells, but it's not intended to replace casting spells as a good way to learn experience. RESEARCH grows with the caster and becomes more useful at higher levels (kind of like real life in some ways).

>>As a tool for newbies to train, this would make it much more useful

Basically, making a new tool for newbies to learn from isn't really the goal.

>>Also, I'm sure the list of actions that will interrupt research will continually be tweaked, but presently you can PERC without interrupting. Not sure if that's intended or not.

Offhand, this seems fine to me.

>>I imagine it's based on Arcana.

Correct

>>FIELD: teaches Sorcery. Takes 20 minutes. Not sure what how it's different from SORCERY, which also takes 20 minutes.

FIELD teaches Sorcery, PM, and Attunement at a lower rate than others
SPELL teaches Aug, Utility, and Warding at a lower rate

>>Dangerous

We need to plug in the danger levels still, but dangerous projects have a high chance to cause a sorcerous backlash when you complete them.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 04:57 PM CST
>>dangerous projects have a high chance to cause a sorcerous backlash when you complete them.

Triple followup!

1) Do the backlash-resistant feats reduce this?
2) Since Necromancers are generally better at sorcery by default (except for Holy, which they are terrible forever), does this help reduce it as well?
3) Speaking of backlash, did that ever get reassessed for 3.1? The whole "no backlash or ARM KABOOM" situation. Or is that part of the plugging in danger levels situation.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 05:06 PM CST
Symbiosis cast seems to have broken in test, it stops working immediately after being started.

pre es
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Ethereal Shield spell.
>pre symb
You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
>expe mods
The following skills are currently under the influence of a modifier:
None
>cast
You gesture.
Familiar streams of magic blend with the weave of your Ethereal Shield spell, and you sense an increase in your knowledge of elemental magic.
The ethereal shield surrounding you shimmers slightly.
>expe mods
None
>
You notice a decrease in your knowledge of elemental magic.

>expe mods
None

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Research 02/01/2014 05:12 PM CST
Stuck this on the page I have going on research discussion under bugs. I'll try to update there as I can to keep a list going.
Re: Research 02/01/2014 05:18 PM CST

Apologies, double post.
Scratch that, moved to main page instead of on discussion
Re: Research 02/01/2014 09:26 PM CST
I could be misunderstanding but the symbiosis cast/harness/activate(I think activate) , is supposed to make casting harder, thus extending the life of lower tier spells so that you can learn longer. So say for example you cast a spell without a symbiosis up at 15 mana and lock the appropriate skills in 20 minutes. Then with symbiosis up casting at the same 15 mana (assuming since the spell is harder you can still cast it at that level) you should lock faster? I'm not really seeing that... with higher tier spells or lower tier spells, course it could just be broken for me to.

Data:
in prime using mab prep 25, 10 harnessed, 10 cambrinth
10 minutes in
Elemental Magic: xxx 50% analyzing (18/34) Attunement: xxx 99% ruminating (8/34)
Arcana: xxx 68% ruminating (8/34) Utility: xxx 50% mind lock (34/34)
15 minutes in
Elemental Magic: xxx 52% engrossed (27/34) Attunement: xxx 01% deliberative (11/34)
Arcana: xxx 71% deliberative (11/34) Utility: xxx 53% mind lock (34/34)
20 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 53% nearly locked (33/34) Attunement: xxx 02% understanding (14/34)
Arcana: xxx 73% understanding (14/34) Utility: xxx 54% mind lock (34/34)

Test with no symbiosis up using mab prep 25, 15 harnessed, 25 cambrinth(I tried using the same mana as in prime but couldn't get off 0/34 mostly)
10 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 95% considering (6/34) Attunement: xxx 21% perusing (2/34)
Arcana: xxx 31% pondering (7/34) Utility: xxx 26% understanding (14/34)

15 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 97% ruminating (8/34) Attunement: xxx 23% perusing (2/34)
Arcana: xxx 34% concentrating (9/34) Utility: xxx 28% very engaged (23/34)

20 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 98% deliberative (11/34) Attunement: xxx 24% learning (3/34)
Arcana: xxx 35% interested (12/34) Utility: xxx 31% riveted (28/34)

Test with watch symbiosis up using mab prep 25, 15 harnessed, 25 cambrinth
There was some augmentation learned in the under 10 timeframe but it got absorbed and then never ticked above 0/34 in the 20 min test period.

10 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 85% ruminating (8/34) Attunement: xxx 12% learning (3/34)
Arcana: xxx 15% concentrating (9/34) Utility: xxx 09% studious (19/34)

15 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 87% concentrating (9/34) Attunement: xxx 14% perusing (2/34)
Arcana: xxx 18% deliberative (11/34) Utility: xxx 12% cogitating (24/34)

20 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 88% interested (12/34) Attunement: xxx 15% learning (3/34)
Arcana: xxx 20% understanding (14/34) Utility: xxx 14% rapt (30/34)

Test with Cast symbiosis up using mab prep 25, 15 harnessed, 25 cambrinth

10 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 05% pondering (7/34) Attunement: xxx 29% learning (3/34)
Arcana: xxx 44% concentrating (9/34) Utility: xxx 38% analyzing (18/34)

15 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 07% ruminating (8/34) Attunement: xxx 31% perusing (2/34)
Arcana: xxx 46% attentive (10/34) Utility: xxx 42% very engaged (23/34)

20 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 08% deliberative (11/34) Attunement: xxx 32% learning (3/34)
Arcana: xxx 48% examining (13/34) Utility: xxx 43% rapt (30/34)

Test with Cast symbiosis up and ignite instead of MAB, prep 25, 15 harnessed and 25 cambrinth(on occasion elemental, attunement, and utility would pop up to 1/34, but fairly quickly absorbed)
10 mins in
Arcana: xxx 57% dabbling (1/34)
15 mins in
Arcana: xxx 58% perusing (2/34) Augmentation: xxx 71% dabbling (1/34)
Utility: xxx 50% dabbling (1/34)
20 mins in
Arcana: xxx 61% dabbling (1/34)

Test with Cast symbiosis up and ignite prep 25 harnessed 25, 20, and 25 in cambrinth
10 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 17% deliberative (11/34) Attunement: xxx 39% interested (12/34)
Arcana: xxx 66% pondering (7/34) Utility: xxx 59% captivated (26/34)
15 mins in
symbiosis broke

Test with no symbiosis up and ignite prep 25, harnessed 25, 20, and 25 in cambrinth
10 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 27% analyzing (18/34) Attunement: xxx 48% analyzing (18/34)
Arcana: xxx 78% interested (12/34) Utility: xxx 74% mind lock (34/34)

15 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 30% fascinated (25/34) Attunement: xxx 51% engrossed (27/34)
Arcana: xxx 83% intrigued (16/34) Utility: xxx 77% mind lock (34/34)

20 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 31% very rapt (31/34) Attunement: xxx 52% nearly locked (33/34)
Arcana: xxx 84% focused (20/34) Utility: xxx 80% mind lock (34/34)

Re: Research 02/01/2014 11:02 PM CST
> There might be a few bugs to iron out, but Mana Field and Spell Research are supposed to be teaching multiple skills.

I emptied my mind with favor orbs before researching. I'm certain they only taught me Sorcery and Warding, respectively.
Re: Research 02/02/2014 08:44 AM CST
<<15 mins in>>
<<symbiosis broke>>

This made me think of something. Did you just use the symbiosis on the first cast, or did you do it on each cast? I'd think you need to PREPARE SYMBIOSIS each time you cast a spell in order to add the difficulty to that cast. So just having the symbiosis in effect on you from your first cast wouldn't do anything for subsequent casts. In which case the duration of the symbiosis effect would be irrelevant. Or something.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Research 02/02/2014 09:14 AM CST
>To be honest, RESEARCH isn't supposed to be a replacement or a better way to learn, per se. It's an alternative to repeatedly casting spells, but it's not intended to replace casting spells as a good way to learn experience. RESEARCH grows with the caster and becomes more useful at higher levels (kind of like real life in some ways).

>Basically, making a new tool for newbies to learn from isn't really the goal.

The thing is, a handful of guilds have training gaps that make working magics difficult at given ranges. If FUNDAMENTALs hit PM/Arcana/Attune/Util/Aug/Ward, or RESEARCH WARD/UTIL/AUG unlocked earlier, this would be a perfect solution for shoring up those gaps. As it stands now, it's a higher range alternative to spam casting, but symbiosis also vastly improves the range of functionality for higher range alternatives.

But that said, I haven't tested symbioses at lower skill ranges. If they're still usable in the early 100's, then I guess nevermind.
Re: Research 02/02/2014 11:51 AM CST
<<I haven't tested symbioses at lower skill ranges. If they're still usable in the early 100's, then I guess nevermind. >>

I have. you aren't given the option of doing anything but fundamental research with magic in the low 100's.

<<If I can't cast thunderclap, you can't summon the dark lord of the abyss to devour the flesh of the innocent>>
Re: Research 02/02/2014 01:23 PM CST
<<This made me think of something. Did you just use the symbiosis on the first cast, or did you do it on each cast? I'd think you need to PREPARE SYMBIOSIS each time you cast a spell in order to add the difficulty to that cast. So just having the symbiosis in effect on you from your first cast wouldn't do anything for subsequent casts. In which case the duration of the symbiosis effect would be irrelevant. Or something.>>

<<Thanks,
<<-Life Sustainer Karthor>>

I did only on the first cast mostly, however I never saw it fade from my mind during the testing period, and under expe mods the bonus to the skill was there the whole time. If you have to do it on every cast ok, but it sure seemed like it had a good duration. I'll go try that if it isn't broken right now.

Re: Research 02/02/2014 03:28 PM CST
>I did only on the first cast mostly,

I hope I'm not misunderstanding your issue then, but that could explain it; if you've studied the symbiosis, it's like having access to [spell+]. If you, say, PREP ES 20, PREP SYMB, CAST, then you're basically casting ES+. If you have the symbiosis studied, and PREP ES 20, CAST, you're just casting ES.

>I have. you aren't given the option of doing anything but fundamental research with magic in the low 100's.

As a tool, I personally feel that RESEARCH FUNDAMENTAL, WARD/AUG/UTIL is most beneficial to lower skill range individuals who may not be able to funnel lots of mana into spells at their range, or may not have access to spells at a given range. Since casting with symbiosis makes easier spells teach longer, I suppose this is less of an issue, but I don't really envision HLCs using RESEARCH WARDING, say. That said, I am supremely excited for this for my Necromancer, who presently has an extremely difficult time training AUG/WARD without sorcery or analogous patterns, so just feel the range of needing ~600+ Arcana to make use of these researches is too high.
Re: Research 02/02/2014 04:18 PM CST
For a youngin after 4-300 fundamental researches:

Circle: 14
Showing all skills with field experience.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Holy Magic: 63 35% scrutinizing (17/34) Arcana: 63 38% scrutinizing (17/34)

Not crazy about losing any research over the 100%, but guess we will have to adjust for not wasting with time.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Research 02/03/2014 03:39 PM CST
So I tried it with prepping symbiosis right before each ignite prep, and got a big improvement.

Test with symbiosis up before each cast and ingite prep 25, cambrinth 15, harness 12, harness 15
10 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 17% very rapt (31/34) Attunement: xxx 18% engrossed (27/34)
Arcana: xxx 02% absorbing (15/34) Augmentation: xxx 45% mind lock (34/34)
Utility: xxx 56% mind lock (34/34)

15 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 19% mind lock (34/34) Attunement: xxx 21% mind lock (34/34)
Arcana: xxx 05% focused (20/34) Augmentation: xxx 48% mind lock (34/34)
Utility: xxx 59% mind lock (34/34)

20 mins in
Elemental Magic: xxx 20% mind lock (34/34) Attunement: xxx 22% mind lock (34/34)
Arcana: xxx 07% engrossed (27/34) Augmentation: xxx 49% mind lock (34/34)
Utility: xxx 60% mind lock (34/34)

However I believe I still do see a bug, if the symbiosis is supposed to disappear a few seconds after you cast your spell.

1- If you backfire with symbiosis prepped, and succeed with the next cast, symbiosis will have a good long duration instead of fading in a few seconds.

2- Prepping symbiosis or another spell before you see the >>You notice a decrease in your knowledge of elemental magic.<<, your last symbiosis will not fade till you cast with another symbiosis prepped.

3- When you prep symbiosis with a spell that boosts another skill that has a timer(I used sure foot), the symbiosis will not fade till you cast another spell with symbiosis up that doesn't boost a stat.

While trying to figure out what was causing it, the backfire and prepping too quick tricks sometimes worked to make the duration of the symbiosis last longer than a few seconds and sometimes didn't. Majority of the time however it did extended the time.

Also should you be able to re-research the same symbiosis if you've already got it fully researched?
Can we have a way to see what symbiosis we have researched beyond typing pre symbiosis?

Re: Research 02/03/2014 04:38 PM CST
> However I believe I still do see a bug, if the symbiosis is supposed to disappear a few seconds after you cast your spell.

It should last for a while based on how much mana you used in the spell. You were casting at 67 mana, so I'd expect it to last ~25 minutes.

> Can we have a way to see what symbiosis we have researched beyond typing pre symbiosis?

Can you not see it when you perceive? I get: "You remember a way to combine the weaves of the Endure symbiosis with another spell."
Re: Research 02/06/2014 02:05 AM CST
> Can we have a way to see what symbiosis we have researched beyond typing pre symbiosis?

>>Can you not see it when you perceive? I get: "You remember a way to combine the weaves of the Endure symbiosis with another spell."

Oh sure yes you can do that, but it might be useful to be able to see the currently researched thing without doing that, just like if you type spell for spells to.

> However I believe I still do see a bug, if the symbiosis is supposed to disappear a few seconds after you cast your spell.

>>It should last for a while based on how much mana you used in the spell. You were casting at 67 mana, so I'd expect it to last ~25 minutes.

It saying, You remember a way to combine the weaves of... under perceive seems to be there for a certain amount of time, but the effects of what it is supposed to actually do, seems to fade away in 2 to 3 seconds after a cast. So effectively if you don't prep symbiosis every cast you don't get the extra benefits(skill or stat bonus, and expe bonus). In fact with the strength one, the bonus to strength fades away instantly too, however it still perceives that the symbiosis is there. Surely the strength bonus should last more than a few seconds.

Re: Research 02/06/2014 02:32 AM CST
> In fact with the strength one, the bonus to strength fades away instantly

Sounds like you've got a bug. Mine lasted 40 minutes. I used a bunch, including strength.