Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/28/2014 10:27 AM CST
Greetings,

I recall a while back in testing Zerreck and I found that HP was in fact decreasing the amount of damage I was taking from his various spells/critters, and recall someone saying that were looking into it. Has anyone had a chance to chase this guy down?

Thanks,

Samsaren
Re: Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/28/2014 11:54 AM CST
Vitality does provide some damage resistance. The amount of reduction was reduced by about 60% for 3.0, and has remained unchanged. It isn't a huge amount, but does benefit the player who stays at high vitality.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/28/2014 02:05 PM CST
>Vitality does provide some damage resistance.

I think the original poster meant Heighten Pain (HP) and not vitality or "health points" (HP). As in, damage amplifying spells (like HP, MoA) were actually causing incoming damage to be decreased.
Re: Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/28/2014 02:55 PM CST
Heighten pain was working on cabalists when I tried it via scroll a via days ago. On each appraisal post-TM cast, they were down 1-3 vitality steps compared to what they were without HP active. That was HP at 75 mana though, and obviously that's not PvP.
Re: Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/28/2014 07:04 PM CST
I just verified HP is adding a damage increase to incoming attacks.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/28/2014 07:10 PM CST
And just to be clear:

More mana = larger bonus to SvS success
More mana = longer duration

Magnitude of SvS success = amount of damage increase.

So snapping HP on a weak target will grant a short duration, capped damage increase. If you must cap the spell to succeed on a target, it is unlikely you will get the maximum damage increase because you aren't winning the SvS contest by terribly much.

Re: Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/28/2014 09:05 PM CST
Thanks Kodius

Samsaren
Re: Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/28/2014 09:17 PM CST
>Magnitude of SvS success = amount of damage increase.

headsplode
Re: Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/28/2014 09:37 PM CST
>>Magnitude of SvS success = amount of damage increase.

Not that I expect this to be done in 3.1, but it would be awesome if there was a general debilitation development standard for all debilitation messaging to indicate the level of success.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/28/2014 09:54 PM CST
Since before I think I've heard damage enhancers were quite low, I take it low end success is pretty much unnoticable.
Re: Damage increasers (HP, possibly DR and MOA) 01/29/2014 12:58 AM CST
>>Since before I think I've heard damage enhancers were quite low, I take it low end success is pretty much unnoticable.

Hard to say. A 10% increase in damage can be quite nice, but not necessarily "noticeable". Some players may not notice 100% or even 5000% damage increases. All depends on what you hunt and if your statistics include a large enough sample size. The magnitude of the damage boost ranges from adding about 10 more mana, to 30 more mana to the spell.