Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/20/2014 10:44 PM CST
Enh...

It was nice to have a wall of boom from fire rain. However, when fighting things you could actually kill it did quite a bit more than glancing hits.

Since the spell is now throttled, can the one fire rain per room limit be removed please?

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/21/2014 08:58 AM CST
>TM was doing less than half damage in 3.0, so how were these as destructive as folks claim? My testing was showing that the greater majority of hits were glancing - not doing any damage at all...

This seems to suggest that the buff to cyclical TM spell damage was intentional. I thought the rationale for keeping damage relatively low on TM in general was that they could be combined with weapons and aimed TM spells for too much damage. The spell type most often referenced on that point was cyclical spells since aimed spells typically have a harness/charge/invoke RT component, target time and opportunity cost component; i.e. they couldn't really be used alongside weapons for double-damage whereas cyclics could.

This is not a complaint. I'm just curious. I know it killed the cat, but my primary character is Rakash so I'm hoping that doesn't apply.
Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/21/2014 11:49 AM CST
The TM bump was mostly from a bug fix.

Samsaren
Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/21/2014 07:21 PM CST
>>TM was doing less than half damage in 3.0, so how were these as destructive as folks claim? My testing was showing that the greater majority of hits were glancing - not doing any damage at all...

Right see the rest of my post ... death by a thousand cuts

Fire Rain may have had the potential to hit bazillion times but the damage was like hitting with a paperweight. So was basicaly paper cuts enough of them the thing finaly keeled over.
Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/21/2014 08:02 PM CST
just put a little moa into it?

Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/22/2014 12:46 AM CST
>>The TM bump was mostly from a bug fix.

That is a gross oversimplification of my spending an abhorrent amount of time understanding the system, compiling numbers, fixing bugs and re-balancing an improperly designed combat model.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/22/2014 12:56 AM CST

GM Kodius:
That is a gross oversimplification of my spending an abhorrent amount of time understanding the system, compiling numbers, fixing bugs and re-balancing an improperly designed combat model.

Thanks for that by the way

:)
Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/22/2014 04:51 AM CST
>>That is a gross oversimplification of my spending an abhorrent amount of time understanding the system, compiling numbers, fixing bugs and re-balancing an improperly designed combat model.

Kodius, my statement wasn't made to belittle the effort behind such, but more a statement that it wasn't just a case of you guys cranking TM damage to 11 for funzies. TM, and ranged, was said to have been suffering from a large issue that was causing it to do significantly less damage then intended and it was fixed, leading us to the current magic status. Personally I'm overjoyed as I could feel the frustration of others watching their hard earned TM ranks perform less effectively then weapons several hundred ranks lower.

Samsaren
Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/22/2014 08:40 AM CST
>Kodius, my statement wasn't made to belittle the effort behind such, but more a statement that it wasn't just a case of you guys cranking TM damage to 11 for funzies.

I didn't take your response negatively, but it was a response to my post. I hope I didn't sound like I was implying anyone is just cranking up TM damage for fun. Hell, I posted advocating the case for the bump, and I posted my impressions after the bump stating how the change was perfect for my TM spells.

I know a lot of thought went into rebalancing TM, like the improved damage for multi-shot spells. With that in mind, I was just asking if the bump to TM cyclical damage was intended in spite of comments made in the past regarding their effectiveness when used alongside weapons or other TM spells. It's not a loaded question, though. "Yes, the mana necessary to maintain high damage cyclical TM spells is so taxing that the cyclic doesn't last long, and cyclics are highly specialized and come with opportunity cost -- you can't keep 5 of them up" is a fine answer that would tell me maybe it's only certain cyclics that might be a touch too strong or weak.
Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/22/2014 08:50 AM CST
Sure, but a bug fix differs from a much-discussed decision to adjust how something works. The TM adjustments were a combination of both. In many cases, combat probably shouldn't be working at all :) I'm often caught swearing how its just one self-aware bug that perpetually torments us!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Some Changes to AOE Multishot spells 01/22/2014 09:51 AM CST
>>I'm often caught swearing how its just one self-aware bug that perpetually torments us!

I blame skynet.

Samsaren
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page