Magic Complaints 01/11/2014 04:26 PM CST
Hey guys.. I've seen a lot of random complaints in each of the Guild folders regarding 3.1 spell changes. Due to the forums cough nature, it is hard for us to collect and organize them. Would it be possible for someone to create a list somewhere on Elanthipedia? It would raise the visibility considerably :P

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Magic Complaints 01/11/2014 04:58 PM CST
But the forums are intuitive and easy to navigate!

- Starlear -
Re: Magic Complaints 01/11/2014 05:06 PM CST
The only "complaint" I have left is that there's a couple spells out there that are wildly overpowerful after the last changes. These include Starlight Sphere, Blufmor Garaen, and probably USOL. There's probably others as well but folks aren't generally super keen on pointing out stuff they have that's overpowered.
Re: Magic Complaints 01/11/2014 05:07 PM CST
The common theme for those spells is that they rely on unique mechanics (either cyclic or whatever the heck the delayed cast thing is for blufmor garaen).
Re: Magic Complaints 01/11/2014 05:19 PM CST

I agree with with Traim on all of the above. USOL might be more powerful because its a cyclic that caps at 50 mana? While i used to think of this as a huge penalty, it could be causing the high end to cause a lot of damage. BG and SLS were causing twice as much damage as other spells i have been hit with by the same casters if not more. I can't speak for being on the other side of USOL.

-Grave Lord Zerreck Arkarm
Re: Magic Complaints 01/11/2014 08:43 PM CST
Add to the list Fire Rain as it can hit each target multiple times it means you can get up to 30+ hits and with the damage UP UP UP even for the cyclic Fire Rian should be renamed "Anhiliation Rain" as it will absolutely obliterate anything in the room in 2 to 3 pulses no matter the Number of opponents if Cast Creature.

Ring of spears is it as well not as bad as Fire Rain as it only hits close range opponents but still OP with new TM dmg mechanics.

Once again I'd like to see a "DMG Cap" on cyclic TM spells only the ones that hit multiple targets the single damage ones.. well they still only hit one target unles they one shot things I think its "working as intended" especially if capped as it is super hard to cap a Cyclic you need a LOT of ranks.
Re: Magic Complaints 01/11/2014 09:06 PM CST
Usol at min prep seems pretty powerful. Could maybe be to much for min. As noted it should scale up to be pretty viscious high end if its 50 cap. That's really pullin some attunement there, even with camb.
Re: Magic Complaints 01/12/2014 12:21 AM CST
Yeah, from what I've been told and seen on test, the TM changes affected cyclic and instant buff-type TM spells. Some cyclical TM spells were doing more damage to me in test earlier than "aimed" TM, which was really the only type that needed help.

Otherwise, aimed TM spell damage feels great, probably around where bows are in terms of damage. Multi-strike TM is very accurate at melee, but it also takes around 13+ seconds to fully target. I like that it gives people an incentive to go melee.
Re: Magic Complaints 01/12/2014 10:50 AM CST
Well I was more referring to individual spell complaints like -

Resonance doesn't re-buff held weapon and doesn't help thrown.
Benediction only gives a few points of stat buff, not the +15 it used to making it undesirable
So and so disabler is harder/more costly to use and provides unconscious effect, but only for 2 seconds
So and so disabler knocks over the enemy but they stand up again immediately making it unusable

Stuff like that :)

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Magic Complaints 01/12/2014 12:40 PM CST
Page created: http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Magic_complaints

I'm going to start copying bard complaints onto it, because naked self interest. Feel free to add other stuff.
Re: Magic Complaints 01/12/2014 03:54 PM CST
>>Fire Rain

Yeah, we have a problem with multi-target spells in general. We need to cap it at N random targets in the room. I'll add it to the list.

>>Elanthipedia page

Perfect! I can't promise that we'll address all of the complaints before we launch (especially the non-constructive ones like 'EoK is useless'), but it WILL help us identify major issues we have to address before we release.

Please, if everybody could add their individual spell complaints (and overall complaints) to that page or this thread, it would really help bring those issues to the forefront.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Magic Complaints 01/12/2014 09:31 PM CST
Additionally, when issues are resolved, we'll be making comments on the wiki page. Once somebody sees that the issue is fixed, can you update the strikethrough correctly?

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Magic Complaints 01/22/2014 01:32 PM CST
I've gone through and done some major cleanup of the page, thanks to Caraamon's help organizing it into 3 sections.

As a reminder, the link is http://www.elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Magic_3.1_Comments

We're now sorting the page into three different categories:

- Legitimate bugs (effect isn't working properly, bad messaging, etc)
- Discussion threads ("I think X spell is underpowered")
- Bugs that have been explicitly pushed out from 3.1

The reasoning behind that last point is that 3.1 has a LOT of core changes in it, and we'd really like to get it released. We could hold off on releasing it until every conceivable issue is resolved, but that's a recipe for never actually releasing it.

Instead, we want to make sure 3.1 is good enough for release, and then focus on individual spell fixes after we release it. To do this, we want to fix all occurrences of these sorts of issues:

- Situations where something is worse in 3.1 than in 3.0
- Spells that are broken. Not spells where you find them useless but somebody could conceivably find them useful - These might be a weak design but they're not broken.
- Core issues that break functionality at a larger level

This should let us get the central changes for 3.1 deployed, which will bring dev and prime back in-line with each other. This makes it so that other unrelated changes don't get backed up behind the 3.1 release by virtual of sharing some functionality.

--

Re: Magic Complaints 01/22/2014 02:13 PM CST

Socharis, thanks for taking time with keeping up on that page.

Also, thumbs up for the frostbite tweak.

I know you moved the YS comments to the commentary section and while I don't think its something that should delay 3.1 coming out, any thought if that spell could be reviewed?

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Magic Complaints 01/22/2014 04:00 PM CST
>>while I don't think its something that should delay 3.1 coming out, any thought if that spell could be reviewed?

I've got tunnel vision right now. It's certainly something that could get reviewed, but I don't want to make any promises about what specifically will change after 3.1.

In general, post-3.1 will continue to see bug fixes and overhauls of spells as needed. The main point of 3.1 is that there are some substantial changes that we wanted to test with a lot of people before rolling it to the live instance. Most of those changes are in pretty good shape atm, but we want to make sure we don't leave anything more broken in 3.1 than it was in 3.0.

--

Re: Magic Complaints 01/22/2014 04:16 PM CST
Makes sense. Scope creep's a b**.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHSjpFUKQR4
Re: Magic Complaints 01/22/2014 04:17 PM CST
That "b**" deserved more asterisks...
Re: Magic Complaints 01/22/2014 04:33 PM CST
I'll forgive you, just this once.

--