Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 04:08 AM CST

<<That idea is the most logical for parry. If you were holding a sword and someone fired an arrow at you, there would be no attempt to parry, you would abandon all efforts to parry and focus entirely on getting out of the way (increasing your base evasion as compared to using evasion/parry)

This, but the fact is that DR is also a fantasy game and ++ the fact that parry is the only defensive skill my guild doesn't learn at snail-pace :D

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 08:00 AM CST

>>That idea is the most logical for parry. If you were holding a sword and someone fired an arrow at you, there would be no attempt to parry, you would abandon all efforts to parry and focus entirely on getting out of the way (increasing your base evasion as compared to using evasion/parry)

I get the feeling that if I had a sword in my hand and someone shot an arrow at me, I'd be leaping out of the way AND swinging my sword around in an attempt to smack it out of the way if my evasion failed. So yeah, a boost to evasion when in that stance but still a check (or critical roll?) to parry. Make missile defense check for shield first, evasion second, parry third.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 11:44 AM CST
>and ++ the fact that parry is the only defensive skill my guild doesn't learn at snail-pace

Which, lets face it, is the real reason folks are asking for parry to be useful vs. ranged.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 12:45 PM CST
I would love to see use of a parrying dagger or main gauche weapon. It would make great RP sense for the swashbuckling type and make parry a very viable melee defense option.

Also, I hate to say it, but besides defending yourself with a shield, is there really any realistic way to avoid the whiz of an arrow or bolt? Much as we'd like things to be balanced when PvPing... ranged weapons were invented with good reason. They -do- give a serious advantage to the ranged weapon user, and there's really no way to parry a 250 feet-per-second arrow or dodge a 350 FPS bolt. PvPers should just go into it knowing they must train shield, but for those who don't want to engage in that, there's plenty of monsters that don't use ranged attacks and adding ways of making parry and evasion more effective seems perfectly acceptable to me.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 12:53 PM CST
Going out on a limb and suggesting that it's unlikely you can block a fireball, spirit death attack (chill spirit), or hot oil (war mechanics) very well with a shield. That said, if partying ranged is where the line of realism breaks in DR, messaging a dodge is fine.

And skillset placement is not driving everyone. At least some of us have armor and weapons on the same skillset level.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 01:00 PM CST
<<Make missile defense check for shield first, evasion second, parry third.>>

I agree with this.

Hey you dang woodchucks! Quit chucking my wood!
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 01:34 PM CST
> Also, I hate to say it, but besides defending yourself with a shield, is there really any realistic way to avoid the whiz of an arrow or bolt? Much as we'd like things to be balanced when PvPing... ranged weapons were invented with good reason. They -do- give a serious advantage to the ranged weapon user, and there's really no way to parry a 250 feet-per-second arrow or dodge a 350 FPS bolt. PvPers should just go into it knowing they must train shield, but for those who don't want to engage in that, there's plenty of monsters that don't use ranged attacks and adding ways of making parry and evasion more effective seems perfectly acceptable to me.

There is a fine line between realism and playability, DR has to find the perfect balance between logic and fantasy in order to be great. As annoying as it is, in some cases logic alone just won't work. Parry has been treated too logical, the end effect has been me completely ignoring it because its so pointless with other mechanics that are in play, the training i get for it is convenience. The effort to balance systems in DR has to become before logic or fantasy, since that is the end goal of all efforts, even if it means you can borderline parry an arrow. (P.S. There are documentarys on youtube about a real life samurai who can cut a bullet that is shot at him, so parrying an arrow is possible)
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 02:56 PM CST
Also, worth noting: ranged is not a PvP only thing. I don't remember a single major war that didn't contain invasion critters and/or barricade mechanics that required a ranged defense to avoid nasty death.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 04:56 PM CST
I just want to say that I don't like the idea of a single defense, or auto-changing defenses. It's too boring. 1) The player makes no choice, and 2) The player has no opportunity to switch around based on his/her own knowledge and skill.

Each defense should have a niche that makes it valuable, and work poorly in some situations. I'm not against parry working better in its "poor" situations though.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 06:31 PM CST
> I just want to say that I don't like the idea of a single defense, or auto-changing defenses. It's too boring. 1) The player makes no choice, and 2) The player has no opportunity to switch around based on his/her own knowledge and skill.

The problem with this situation is that parry becomes a completely useless skill other than for tdps, and it is too easy to strip away one of those defenses and make a person completely vulnerable. Trust me when i say auto-defending is not removing player choice, its just preventing your defenses from being completely nullified simply by bad circumstance. If you have stanced 100 evasion and 80 shield, and a monster uses a shield ignoring attack, auto-defending would cause those shield ranks to automatically roll over (at a penalty) into another defense type so that you don't get impaled out of nowhere for absolutely no reason.

> Each defense should have a niche that makes it valuable, and work poorly in some situations. I'm not against parry working better in its "poor" situations though.

I agree that each defense should have a nich, but things are being addressed right now because evasion + shield is the ONLY viable defense, period. No one in their right mind would hunt certain monsters or pvp using parry. (except powerhaus, but i think he only fights noobs) These changes are NEEDED to give parry any kind of utility at all.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 06:33 PM CST
Q: How many times have you gone "Damn, if only my parry was at 100%!"
A: That's why parry needs help.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 08:14 PM CST
>>If you have stanced 100 evasion and 80 shield, and a monster uses a shield ignoring attack, auto-defending would cause those shield ranks to automatically roll over (at a penalty) into another defense type so that you don't get impaled out of nowhere for absolutely no reason.

I can see auto-defending (at a penalty) against very sudden shifts in attack. And as I said, I'm happy with improving parry's "poor" areas (like applying a little parry to defending vs. missiles).

But if you're going into an area of primarily ranged critters, you should know that that's not parry's niche. Similarly if you see your opponent pull out a bow.

Maybe another option could be that auto-defend exists and is VERY good (applying full or nearly-full parry), but it doesn't last. E.g., it only protects you 1-2 times per 30 seconds, and after that you need to realize your opponent has shifted attack styles and compensate. Perhaps combine it with increasing parry's effectiveness even after the auto-defend wears off (but not to 100% ability to parry missiles).

>>I agree that each defense should have a nich, but things are being addressed right now because evasion + shield is the ONLY viable defense, period.

I get that and completely agree. I didn't say otherwise. Parry needs to be better, but I think that can happen without always auto-defending or combining to a single defending skill.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 08:14 PM CST
Yeah honestly the only time I ever use parry is to just train the skill and that is a pita.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 10:09 PM CST
>Yeah honestly the only time I ever use parry is to just train the skill and that is a pita.

Late on the subject, but for me I'm just more seeing that I'd like to see some tactical and usefulness to training and having parry skill.

Evasion seems to be the best complimentary skill, plus it takes one totally out of the way of the attack if they are successful.

Shields seem to be against ranged, or trying to close the gap against ranged you NEED.

Well what does parry do, it supposedly helps against multiple opponents in close range, but shield and evasion seem to do that plenty already.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 10:43 PM CST
So a few things...

Parry gets a large defensive bonus from weapon balance. Shield penalizes evasion/parry from the hindrance it adds.

Parry is bonused in a MO situation. Shield is somewhat penalized in a MO situation.

Armworn shields interfere with 2-handed weapon use, parry does not.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 10:51 PM CST
> So a few things...

Expanding on that list of pros vs cons for each defensive type is not a bad idea, that would give defenses alot of flavor. Assuming the achilles heel that parry has against ranged/magic is taken care of.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/04/2014 10:58 PM CST
>Armworn shields interfere with 2-handed weapon use, parry does not.

I don't use an armworn shield because I'm an idiot, but it seems that no matter your weapon the penalty for not having a shield out (mostly, I die. I don't know about anyone else) makes any penalty for using the shield seem pretty prefunctory.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/05/2014 12:13 AM CST
>>makes any penalty for using the shield seem pretty prefunctory.

bows...

imma run away and hide now

Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/05/2014 01:35 AM CST

While noticeable, I have to wonder at the utility of this, given that most two handed weapons have pretty mediocre balance. The idea of parrying with a sledgehammer is kind of silly, thematically at least.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/05/2014 09:09 AM CST
I'm not a GM and, I know that the stats you all run to try and push balance, well is beyond me because I first can't see those things, and two well its been a while since I did a lot of stats, anyways to the points:

>So a few things...

>Parry gets a large defensive bonus from weapon balance. Shield penalizes evasion/parry from the hindrance it adds.

Neat.

>Parry is bonused in a MO situation. Shield is somewhat penalized in a MO situation.

Another neat, I understand there is a balancing deal here.

However in PvP, or invasions, MO isn't something we can push so easily on our enemies. PvP tends to be 1vs1 combat, while invasions tend to be enemy has huge ranks of enemies and we seem to get hit by things like bird bombs if we get into larger groups.

Some people may dislike me, but should it interfere more?

Additionally, should shields held in hands bonus better then armworn (i.e. should they bonus even better then currently). Should armworn be slightly penalized vs current.

Just some thoughts.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/05/2014 09:20 AM CST
<< Should armworn be slightly penalized vs current.

What purpose would that serve other than being more of an inconvenience to people? If the penalty gets any more severe people will just start holding the shields and that's about it. Doesn't really help parry in any way.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/05/2014 12:07 PM CST
Armworn is already significantly penalized by 25% if Elanthipedia's notes are still correct.

How much of a penalty would you need before it outweighed the metagame 'penalties' for not wearing the shield?

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/05/2014 06:53 PM CST
<<Armworn is already significantly penalized by 25% if Elanthipedia's notes are still correct.>>

The protection value of the shield is penalized 25%. Shadow is suggesting penalizing shield usage, which is silly. Please name another skill that gets a double mundane penalty (seriously, I'd be interested to know if there is another one).

--Just a Squire
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/05/2014 08:14 PM CST
Stealth?
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/05/2014 10:50 PM CST
I think the honest to god truth is that people don't really want parry fixed because in the end, it's going to nerf shield in one way or another.

The reality is if you want to make parry more viable make attacks that ignore shield and/or evasion.

Instant fix. Once someone has to train parry, it will be worth while again.

As long as we can go 100/80 Evasion/Shield - 95% of us are gonna do it, the other 5% are just stubborn.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 08:59 AM CST

>>The reality is if you want to make parry more viable make attacks that ignore shield and/or evasion.

Let's make sure that this is coupled with the fact that while making attacks ignore shield and/or evasion, make sure they can be parried. DFA does not help the parry train.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 02:04 PM CST
Have you considered copying the spell stance system? That seems to work quite well there and may port over quite easily.

Also I think the big problem with parry is that the other defenses don't have the same degree of downsides.

Evasion is good. All the time. Why would anyone ever not include evasion in their stance (besides training)?

Shield works all the time (except DFA I guess), but is penalized in certain situations. Sometimes it is really good (ranged, for example).

Parry has times where it just don't work and you get smashed up pretty fast (ranged). It has times when it is better (MO situations) but just doesn't have times where it is great.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 03:19 PM CST
>Evasion is good. All the time. Why would anyone ever not include evasion in their stance (besides training)?

Since evasion is in the survival skill set and the defense that is most penalized by high hindrance, running a parry/shield setup could make sense if you're not defending against anything ranged and want to use heavy armors.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 04:06 PM CST
Parry vs any kind of ranged means absolute destruction(have seen massive+ in competitive fights). If Parry is to ever be anything more than a 'cool' rollover after 100/100, it has to be fairly competitive with Shield.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 04:18 PM CST
Parry - best vs melee
Shield - best vs ranged
Evasion - best vs spell
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 04:25 PM CST
>> Parry - best vs melee
>> Shield - best vs ranged
>> Evasion - best vs spell

While this is true, parry is unusable vs ranged, making it practically useless in most situations(and pretty much all PVP situations). Anyone who argues otherwise needs to lay off the koolaid.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 04:40 PM CST
Easy fix, overbuff.

If I have no weapon/parry stick out/worn (can't parry) and I have no shield out/worn (can't block) give me a bonus to evasion.

Auto-setting stances depending on weapon/shield/lack thereof would make things so much more dynamic, but would take so much more work that should go elsewhere.

Maybe something for 2015.

I had a very long post I was typing about where to best setup auto-stances but i deleted it, didn't think people would enjoy the idea. It might be easier to handle it all behind the scenes, dunno.

DR is so fragile. Sigh.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 04:57 PM CST
>If I have no weapon/parry stick out/worn (can't parry) and I have no shield out/worn (can't block) give me a bonus to evasion.

But the math just doesn't work. They've looked at this. Either it makes it so that you need to have the weapon/shield out anyway or you only have to train evasion and don't have to worry about the other defenses.

If you want to make all three defenses useful (which is what players want) and keep all 3 defenses necessary (Kodius has said things to make this seem like a goal), then you have to make it so that all 3 defenses are required and used at all times.

The problem is players want to be able to get away with not training or using a shield, and the GMs don't want it to be possible to ignore shield completely.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 04:59 PM CST
>> Parry - best vs melee

Going by this to make defenses fair, parry should be just as good at blocking ranged attacks as shield is at blocking melee.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 07:11 PM CST
I'm pretty sure the reason parry is gimped for certain things more than any other defense, is because its the only defensive ability that also falls with a guilds skillset that is all offense. Basically barbarians would have a means that's very effective to defend while also bringing their weapon damage to the table, also barbarians have nice abilities to boost defenses. Most other guilds pretty much have a prime skill that's a defense, but have their damage dealing in a secondary skillset. Or magic prime which have TM as a primary and a defense that is secondary. This is excluding lore prime of course which have no defensive skill primary, but have tactics for what that's worth.

Also barbarians are for the most part unrivaled in melee combat at like ranks, which is part of their niche, which also happens to be part of parry's niche. Obviously abilities that make folks stay at melee range would help, which are already in effect, but I'm not sure if the system would ever make things reliable other than to switch stance after. Maybe it could be interesting if somehow you could pick what stance setup you would like to use for which range you are in. Evasion/parry stance at melee and evasion/shield at other ranges, dunno.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 08:07 PM CST
>> Parry - best vs melee

<<<Going by this to make defenses fair, parry should be just as good at blocking ranged attacks as shield is at blocking melee. >>>

Exactly well said Codi...
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 08:08 PM CST
>I'm pretty sure the reason parry is gimped for certain things more than any other defense, is because its the only defensive ability that also falls with a guilds skillset that is all offense.

Then you'd be completely wrong, but thanks for playing. They don't gimp an ENTIRE SKILL because of one guild.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 08:09 PM CST
Maybe we're looking at it wrong, and what we need is something like manuevers that allow for a tactical advantage various shield users, while parry stands firm against the manuever?

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 08:27 PM CST
>Then you'd be completely wrong, but thanks for playing. They don't gimp an ENTIRE SKILL because of one guild.

The entire skill is not gimped, it works very well for certain things which have been talked about. Just because it doesn't work well with ranged doesn't mean the GM's are going to change it because its in a guilds prime skillset that want it to work as well for range as the other skills. If it makes any difference I think it should work to some degree, but think between skillset placement and buffs available that it would make barbarians to much to deal with if it worked nearly as effective as shield. Sorry if that burns your bottom side. But thanks for replying anyway.
Re: Mandatory shield for PVP 01/06/2014 08:41 PM CST
>Maybe we're looking at it wrong, and what we need is something like manuevers that allow for a tactical advantage various shield users

You mean like the maneuvers that have been written that ignore shield?