Benediction Bonus Issue 12/18/2013 04:07 PM CST
In 3.0, casting Benediction over a certain mana amount gave you the max bonus of "massive" for a 15 point bonus to strength, agility, and reflex which is something I've been able to do both before and after 3.0.

In my testing in 3.1, while I am still able to cap the spell mana-wise and I have high commune (crystal-clear vision of your god level), potency set at 130%, and all relevant stats at 60, I can only get the bonus to "great" which is a 9+ bonus. If my stats are raised to 80 with all other variables the same, I get the "profuse" bonus. I have to raise all my relevant stats to 100 to get the "massive" bonus.

Now I know strength, agility, and reflex are outside of a cleric's Sphere of Influence and that the cap on bonuses outside the SOI is 15%. However, we're not even getting close to that max due to the the steep stat requirement of this spell to have 100 in each to reach the max, and I'm not sure how many players are ever going to accomplish that feat.

My question is - is all this working as intended? Did someone check the bonus on the spell against stat levels to see if something needed to be tweaked? I just want to make sure someone has taken a look at exactly how this spell's bonuses are shaking out to make sure it is really intended for people to have 100 in each of the relevant stats to reach the maximum bonus this spell previously provided at much much lower levels.

Thanks in advance!

Shenae
Re: Benediction Bonus Issue 12/18/2013 04:28 PM CST
>Shenae

"Buffs

Magic 3.0 has two possible caps: 30%, or 100 ranks. The problem is, this means that buffs stop getting more powerful once you've got 334 ranks. This ends up meaning that once you're above that rank cap, you need less and less mana to achieve the maximum effect, to the point where getting capped buffs left and right is a matter of course. This, in turn, makes the end game even more boring than it already is. To fix this, we’re removing the rank cap, but reducing the percentage to 20%. This way, buffs continue to scale with percentages, which is how the rest of the game scales up. It also makes skill buffs worthwhile at the higher ends of skill levels again."

This probably affected stat buffs too.
Re: Benediction Bonus Issue 12/18/2013 04:37 PM CST
Yes, I saw the post also about removing the caps and lowering the maximum possible benefit, but I echo Shenae's concern about the usefulness of the spell at any point south of endgame. At 60 ranks of strength, reflex, or agility (and keep in mind "Holy Titan" is attained at 60 in all stats, AND typically happens when people get to around 140th circle), it only provides a 9 point bonus.

That's certainly nothing small, but until now we've been used to attaining a 15 point boost based off skill and devotion. This turns into a pretty significant nerfing to present clerics who aren't at "endgame" yet. And clerics with say, 45 in their stats will attain 6 or 7 ranks of boost (not sure how it rounds), coming down from +15 (if they had adequate augmentation and devotion) seems very harsh.

Very few clerics will ever hit 100 in those attributes, as magic primes tend to focus on mentals for obvious reasons first, so lowering the cap has the possibly unintended effect of making benediction significantly less effective at boosting the very stats we usually have trailing.