Prev_page Previous 1
Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 09:32 PM CDT
Ok, I just returned to DR after about five and a half years and rolled up a new character - a moon mage in fact. Now I never really had a lot of money, I didn't play the game super hard core, but I'm beginning to get back into the game and make a little cash. Now I purchase my first little jadedite gweth and wear it and feel all great about myself. Now I can talk to people while I hunt and listen to all the interesting people and all their interesting comments...

Enter gwethsmashers. Apparently there is a new device (invented by moon mages I think? - Which is too bad given my character) that can smash other people's gweths. What the heck? Are you serious? Now I know I don't make the greatest of comments sometimes and sometimes I have too much fun at other people's expense but I don't think I said anything inappropriate over the gweth (is asking if invasion creatures drop unique loot inappropriate?). Regardless a person by the name of Miir decides to smash my gweth. All comments on the character and personality of Miir aside - I'm sure he's a charming individual - but how can the DR staff allow this to exist? Apparently it grants consent to the person who's gweth was smashed but I don't think that really matters. DR was always a game more about RP and having fun then about how high level you character was or how BA you were - although those were parts that you could indulge if you wanted. I mean stop me if my analysis is wrong but the introduction of these gwethsmashers seems to be a serious divergance from the spirit of DR that existed five and a half years ago. I mean you can only talk on the gweth's if you're high enough level that if someone smashes your gweth you can go out and kill them? I mean what recourse do I have if my gweth was smashed for no reason by someone higher level then me? How can this exist in DR?!

Anyways, I'm just a little angry at the whole situation. I'm sure this topic has been brought up before and maybe someone can tell me how the GM's have responded to it in the past? Also, thank you Kystrala for giving me a new gweth and healing all my emotional wounds outside the Cleric guild grin. Somehow I'll have to find a way to repay you,

Thanks,

Telaroth
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 09:38 PM CDT
Being smashed is a NOGM incident, and they give you consent on the person who smashed you.

Talking poorly about someone like Miir who hoards smashers is not a wise investment.

And they're allowed to happen because it's another RP tool. Not everyone RP's a snugglybunndysmoochypants.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 09:40 PM CDT
>Talking poorly about someone like Miir who hoards smashers is not a wise investment.

See the fact that this comment is probably true is the problem. How can we allow people that hoard smashers have all this power?

-Telaroth
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 09:51 PM CDT
I see another post getting moved to the Equine Cemetary...

Smashers are part of the game. Gweths are easy to find and cheap to buy. Get over it.

P.S. IMO you shouldn't publicly "out" someone on the boards. It's bad form.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 09:55 PM CDT
>>How can we allow people that hoard smashers have all this power?

What power? The power to shut people up who are using an area wide communication tool? Ohhh the power! Hold me while I swoon. See Equine cemetery for a well reasoned explanation of why this is a 'good thing'. Look for posts by Armfer.

>>Not everyone RP's a snugglybunndysmoochypants.

This.

Also:

news 2 26

Dateline 1/24/2009: GWETHSMASHER CLARIFICATIONS AND INFORMATION

Gwethsmashers are a legitimate avenue for players "self policing" of the gweth by destroying the target's gweth or temporarily halting their ability to use gweths and gweth-like devices. Although it might take a while for some individuals to get the point after having their gweths smashed, they should eventually figure out what the general populace considers acceptable for the gweth. We are aware that there may be times that "because I felt like it" smashings occur and because of this, the target of a smashing can see who did it, so they can take care of it in an in-character manner.

Gwethsmashers can only be used once every 24 hours and can only target people who have used THINK within the past five real-life minutes, including time spent out of game. Since you must be directly engaged in conversation (THINK within 5 minutes) and within gwethdesuan range of the attacker to be targeted, the chance of someone attacking you out of the blue is fairly small.

Smashing someone's gweth grants consent to the target. The target of a successful gwethsmashing will see who did it, and can therefore retaliate accordingly. However, we are not going to allow the killing to continue until the gweth is replaced; it is a pure and simple retaliatory consent and is worth a death. After that, you should just get a new gweth, be more careful about what you think and move on. Gweth smashing will be ruled a NO-GM situation with the exception of someone harassing the gweth smashee. So, unless you are being harassed, assisting/reporting on it is only going to get you a NO-GM ruling.

Due to the fact that changes to gwethsmashers have made them a more common part of everyday life; the victim of a successful gwethsmashing is no longer be stunned when gweths are smashed and targets for gwethsmashing can not avoid their fate by hiding or becoming invisible. However, the attacker is still subject to a stun if they fail the contest. Yes, the use of a gwethsmasher is contested, not automatic. The contest is stat based, rather than circle based.

Unbreakable Gwethdesuans will NOT break (they wouldn't exactly be 'unbreakable' then). However, they will be rendered inert for six hours. The gwethdesuan will still exist, but it will just be a piece of fluff. After six hours, the gwethesuan will start functioning normally again.

Gwethsmashers are a NO GM situation. There does not have to be a justification for a smashing. Having Consent does not guarantee you will get your satisfaction. It guarantees you the option to attempt it, not success. That said, the entire system is being monitored closely for abuse.

If a single individual is harassing you with a gwethsmasher, then it is handled under our normal policy for harassment. If multiple people are gwethsmashing you for unrelated reasons, it may be time to reassess the contents of your messages or the tone in which you send them.

END NEWS ITEM

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 09:57 PM CDT
Also, I wish Elanthians.com still worked, so we could actually see what was gwethed, since I doubt that is the 100% unadulterated truth.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 09:57 PM CDT
>P.S. IMO you shouldn't publicly "out" someone on the boards. It's bad form.

How the heck is it bad form? I'm just telling you guys what he did. If he doesn't want other people to know about it then he shouldn't do it. That sounds like a proverb I've heard somehwere - that's probably a biblical principal too, heh.

Also if this is a topic that's been discussed before do you mind telling me what the GM's have said? They just said it was a part of the game, not gunna change?
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 09:58 PM CDT
>>...that's probably a biblical principal too, heh.

Which has what exactly to do with Elanthia?

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 09:58 PM CDT
Or you could find out what you did that caused the smash and then determine if it's worth it to you to alter that behavior.

Perhaps you were being OOC, spamming the heck out of the gweth during an invasion so important messages were being lost, insulting the wrong person, etc. Gwethsmashing normally doesn't happen just because someone decides they don't like how your name is spelled.

If you find out why and realize maybe you were in the wrong and might want to cut off what you did, good on ya. If you find out it was because the person thought you were being a jerk and you decide to continue as you were because it best fits your character, also, good on ya but realize there are consquences that go along with it.

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 09:59 PM CDT
>Also if this is a topic that's been discussed before do you mind telling me what the GM's have said? They just said it was a part of the game, not gunna change?

Yep, pretty much. Check the equine cemetery for more information.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 10:01 PM CDT
>Also, I wish Elanthians.com still worked, so we could actually see what was gwethed, since I doubt that is the 100% unadulterated truth.

You know it's kinda funny, I knew you guys we're gunna come after me before I even posted. I don't come on the boards to wag my little ego around, I can tell, as well as I can remember it exactly what I said over the gweth if you want to know. If there's anything inappropriate in what I said it would mostly likely be the thing about if the invasion critters drop any unique loot which I already mentioned I talked about. All that aside, thank you for pointing me to what's been talked about before - you've been a great help.

-Telaroth
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 10:03 PM CDT
I re-read my post and I apologize, not -all- of you came after me because of my post. I think I have my answer now about the gweths. Thank you,

-Telaroth
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 10:17 PM CDT
Telaroth I've seen your gweths and I can see why someone would smash you.

Also, read this.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=1&topic=19&message=2572

Rev. Reene

"...It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way."
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 10:19 PM CDT
Thanks Caelumia, I appreciate the support,

-Telaroth
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 10:25 PM CDT
Man I thought I was being pretty constructive this time too

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 10:45 PM CDT
Suggestion: Why don't you try roll playing the situation out and talking to me in game, I don't bite

And who knows, you might get something out of it

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/22/2009 10:47 PM CDT
Chucking your own gweths into a trash bin is like gwethsmashing everyone in the game.

Very satisfying.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 01:29 AM CDT
>>I mean you can only talk on the gweth's if you're high enough level that if someone smashes your gweth you can go out and kill them? I mean what recourse do I have if my gweth was smashed for no reason by someone higher level then me? How can this exist in DR?!<<

(preface this saying I've never been smashed, and own no smashers. Probably never will, let the rest of the realm hack each other to bits, I've something of a vow of neutrality. My empathic ethics.)

To step on my high horse:
In my opinion, gweths were made for the purpose of purposeful communication, and this has been corrupted. For the most part, I just listen to gweths, when I gweth something a couple times a day, 99% of the time it's answering a question, a distress call saying I'm going down (somewhere), or asking where someone is, or telling them where I am (arranging a meeting). The worst I can think of is the occasional calls that "I'm bored, someone incinerate themselves and get dragged for me to heal them."

I don't talk about loot, I don't talk about skill ranks for critters, I don't chatter, I don't gweth greetings, hugs, emotes, I don't insult anyone. I'd rather do all that in person, and preferably in whispers.

If I can go for years without smashing, and the years before smashers without a thump or death because of gweths, I'm pretty sure everyone else can.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 02:03 AM CDT
>>If I can go for years without smashing

It's not like you had much of a choice.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 02:09 AM CDT
Yes, I seem to have neglected an article there.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 08:39 AM CDT
For the years that you went without smashing people were clamoring for Gwethsmashers.

That being said I've known Miir for a couple years now and I'm sure if you were smashed it was for a good reason

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 04:42 PM CDT
I hoard gwethsmashers to have an nice arsenal of them and give them to my family memebers when the need presents itself. There are times some folks just can't take a hint and thus I get to dust a smasher off and ohh the joy of that blessed silence that Caelumia was speaking of. Then again most times they just get another set and start in again this time pronouncing there outrage, and vollia smashed again. At times forgive me but I do find it entertaining that some folks just cannot seem to learn and keep running their mouths via thier thoughts.

Just saying that not all smashing is unwarranted some is but most is not.

Miv
The time has come to choose your alligence, even more so to show it.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 06:05 PM CDT

The above discussion look familar? That's because it was just moved here from Surviving in Elanthia.

Reminder: Policy is enforced in all our folders.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 06:59 PM CDT
if you want to be able to RP without pesky gwethsmashers, you don't mind starting over as a low-circle character, and if you have the resources <<$$$ >> to do so, I highly recommend you go over to plat. you can use Chatter for necessary communication over there.

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 07:13 PM CDT
I'm guessing this is your problem:

<<If there's anything inappropriate in what I said it would mostly likely be the thing about if the invasion critters drop any unique loot which I already mentioned I talked about.>>

Considering you also said...

<<DR was always a game more about RP and having fun then about how high level you character was or how BA you were>>

Asking if an "invasion creature" drops "unique loot" is most likely the issue, since that's something that folks might consider out of character, depending on how to phrased it on an open, public channel.

Solomon

Fight me:
http://la-bubbita.mybrute.com
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 08:04 PM CDT
>DR was always a game more about RP and having fun then about how high level you character was or how BA you were

I mean, ya, I still stand behind that. I was hunting the skeleton peons after all. The other stuff was a little too powerful for me. I was just interested in if they dropped anything unique given that I've seen unique stuff drop off invasion critters in the past - even if they were low level. If that was OOC then I apologize,

-Telaroth
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 08:08 PM CDT
Oh, my last post was responded from the point of view that you thought asking about loot was more concerned about how high level your character was or how BA you were. I think you were talking about the RP. RP wise ya I guess it was close to the line. I didn't really know how to ask it without sounding bad. I guess I should just ask a friend in the future...

-Telaroth
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/23/2009 11:45 PM CDT
several ways come to mind that are more in character(feel free to use any of these as well as changing words here and there):
"have any of the undead relinquished their grasp on anything unique?"
"has anybody found anything interesting on the re-dead corpses?"
"What kinds of treasure are the walking deaders carrying?"

--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Legeres
http://www.myspace.com/ledge_ear_us
http://legeres.deviantart.com
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/24/2009 06:55 AM CDT
Can we please change this category to the "Endless Gweth Smashing Discussion?"

Mujaki Paladin of the people.

P.S. One quick question. I heard someone talking about consent till you get your stuff back when it came to pickpocketing. Is there a consent till you get your gweth back?
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/24/2009 07:12 AM CDT
i would think so. although it didn't apply in my case because i have the perma-gweths from the estate caves.

Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/24/2009 07:30 AM CDT
>>One quick question. I heard someone talking about consent till you get your stuff back when it came to pickpocketing. Is there a consent till you get your gweth back?

No it is not. From posted Policy News 2 26

>>Smashing someone's gweth grants consent to the target. The target of a successful gwethsmashing will see who did it, and can therefore retaliate accordingly. However, we are not going to allow the killing to continue until the gweth is replaced; it is a pure and simple retaliatory consent and is worth a death. After that, you should just get a new gweth, be more careful about what you think and move on. Gweth smashing will be ruled a NO-GM situation with the exception of someone harassing the gweth smashee. So, unless you are being harassed, assisting/reporting on it is only going to get you a NO-GM ruling.

---Thya Telle
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Remember the La Li Lu Le Lo are watching
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/24/2009 07:53 AM CDT
i really fail to see the difference though. its an item just like any other item that is replaceable. Why should you be able to retaliate over and over again for a diopside worth maybe a few silver and not for a gweth that you may have paid a few plats for? can't you hunt for another diopside? That is just flat-out contradictory. I can see it not being in the same category as a graverobbed irreplaceable item, but not a gem.

Policy should take into account :

1. item value <based on appraisal value>
2. item replaceablity <based on item scarcity>

Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/24/2009 08:05 AM CDT
>Policy should take into account :

I think it's more a matter of one being stealing policy and the other one being not stealing policy.

~ Kougen Aensworth, The Lightcrafter

"It is the destiny of those who can know what will be, to lead those who do not to guide them, to protect them, to lead them to enlightenment."
- Grandmaster Taramaine Braun
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/24/2009 08:30 AM CDT
Gonif gets smashed a lot

~Arwinia

Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/24/2009 11:44 AM CDT
My two cents on this issue is that none of this really matters if people are able to be adults about the situation. This goes with every single possible policy issue in the book. The book is practically irrelevant if we were dealing with people who could figure out the conflict in the game. However, that is not always the case and not everyone wants to deal with conflicts even though that is a form of role-playing. To me, that is perfectly acceptable because how I choose to have fun is not always going to be the same as the way someone else chooses to have fun in a game. I do agree with Miir in this thread above all else so far.

Because of the fact people are not always adults about a situation and are able to handle a variety of situations that may be uncomfortable to them in this game, we have a policy book. Great, no objections yet.

I do agree with Gonif that the policy is contradictory in how it relates to stealing items/gems and consent compared to offering consent to a smashed gweth.

In the past when there were only two to three gwethsmashers available to PCs (I know because I had two out of the three at one point), this wasn't really an issue with these types of threads. I'd log into a friend's account who was a MU and smash a person's gweth if they were incredibly annoying. The fact it is producable by moon mages just seems to completely obliterate the fact that it was something perceived to be highly monitored by GMs. Today, it is completely un-monitored by GMs except in situations of harassment (multiple attempts by the same individual(s)). It strikes me as very odd that this was released to be producable to affect lower level characters. If they deserve it - great, but this form of policy allows for anyone to gwethsmash provided they win the contest no matter what. That's completely different from what I remember two years ago and I'm not entirely convinced it is for the better of the game.

- Simon
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/24/2009 02:00 PM CDT
>Also, I assume that by "confront" you mean speaking to the smasher, not smiting the smasher.

I won't "smite" the smasher for you. I may "smite" the smasher for me, however, if they were to provoke me enough. As a self-proclaimed master spokesperson, I'd have Rmel attempt to utilize diplomacy first.
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/24/2009 05:53 PM CDT
>> As a self-proclaimed master spokesperson, I'd have Rmel attempt to utilize diplomacy first.

In my head, I automatically translated this to "ath a thelf-proclaimed mathter thpokethperthon, I'd have Rmel attempt to utilize diplomathy firtht."

It's just a reflex now. Incredible.

Rev. Reene

"...It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way."
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 04/27/2009 10:56 AM CDT
>In my head, I automatically translated this to "ath a thelf-proclaimed mathter thpokethperthon, I'd have Rmel attempt to utilize diplomathy firtht."

Utilithe. :)
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 05/03/2009 04:31 AM CDT
>is asking if invasion creatures drop unique loot inappropriate?

IMO yes. the rest was just blah blah blah...
Re: Gwethsmashers - Comeon, really? 05/11/2009 07:19 PM CDT
<<Gwethsmashing threads>>

I don't really see the big issue with smashers. None of my characters in the three or four years I've played have been smashed or thumped. It's perfectly avoidable, and not just by refusing to wear gweths.

I wear gweths primarily because I like to have them in case of emergency, but that's not the only time I use them. I'll answer questions and try to help from time to time, or ask a question of my own - I'm just always extra careful to remain IC when I do any of that. Now, I don't gweth much, but if your character does use gweths frequently you will likely have to deal with the consequences of what you gweth.

Long story short, gwethsmashers are just as IC as gweths. Sometimes the big guys do have advantages, but that's nothing new. Being smashed is just as avoidable as being thumped, stolen from, or attacked.

Oh, I also wear gweths because missing things like my sig would in my opinion be a real shame.

Your mind hears XXXXX thinking, "what time to barghest come out"
Your mind hears XXXXX thinking "oh do they swarm"
Your mind hears XXXXX thinking, "is hulking big"
* XXXXX was just struck down!

You chortle softly at some secret joke.
Prev_page Previous 1