Rant: Gwethsmashers (Part 1) 04/09/2009 04:20 PM CDT
I know this is going to get me shot at but I want to get my opinion and reasoning against Gwethsmashers (because I don’t buy “Gwethsmashers are here to stay” as an argument for them.)

In 12 years in this game, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen one change or addition cause so much negative effect as gwethsmashers. Or maybe it just shed light on some negative. While I understand that there are annoying people on the gweths and even I wish they could be quieted sometimes, I believe the current method is possibly the worst solution.

My main problems with them are the following, while trying to apply logic, game design and consistency as my barometers:

> Gwethsmashers destroy the ESP items of the target.

My problem here is that stealing or destroying (ripple, etc) any other item in game is reportable and punishable (and don’t bother arguing as I’ve personally seen it, granted it might be a case by case GM’s judgement.) So why should this be any different? Why is it that I can report someone for stealing my store bought scimitar but have to suck it up if my 30 plats worth of gweths get smashed?

Considering the reasons for the existence of gwethsmashers, why not implement a similar system to Thump, or make them work like thump? Have them zap the gweths and stop them from working for an hour or so.

> Smashing is Stat contested

I’m not sure what the reasoning is for this as all it creates is a hierarchy based on who is the biggest. Since, the bigger characters in the realms are not immune from being the very annoying people on the gweths, no one but other big characters can smash them. Why not open the board to general smashing? Allow anyone to smash anyone else. Sure there is the possibility of abuse (IE mules created to do anonymous smashing) but I don’t see that as very much different then now where higher characters can smash anyone lower than themselves with impunity. Sure, I have consent with my 20th circle guy on your 130th guy, yeah, that makes me feel so much better. Why that example? Because one of my low profile 20th circle characters was random smashed by a 130th circler, after one thought in the midst of a flurry of activity at that time.

This is rampant enough as I know 30+ different players that either won’t use their gweths to project thoughts in fear of the random bully smasher. Some say they check who is on before gwething, and some have given up gweths altogether. If there are that many that I know then there are others.

> Smashers are too easy to get

There may once have been a time when they were few are far between, but when you consider that I have the resources to make 2 smashers every two weeks (50 in a year) that’s quite the supply. Multiply that by the Moonies that can add their own 25 in a year. With that much supply the cost will go down and everyone and their familiar will have a smasher. (As a side note, I don’t make smashers as I’m fundamentally against them, but I could produce a ridiculous amount if I did.)

Part 2 coming...