Re: Why not raffles? 06/05/2017 10:58 AM CDT
>>People have repeatedly posted and commented their derision for auctions that are bid wars.

That is literally how auctions work. If they were not bid wars, they wouldn't be auctions.

>>At Hollow's Eve raffles are used effectively to distribute items fairly, all have an equal chance.

HE items are typically T3 to T4 with the occasional T5 at best. Auction items are typically T6+. If they were to have raffles, the prizes would scale (down) accordingly.

Would raffles be neat? Probably! But you'd be getting different items. As Persida mentioned, having one doesn't exclude another. You'd be better off trying to advocate for having raffles at Guildfest than poo-poo'ing about the existence of an auction that has always been at Guildfest.

For what it's worth, a lot of the items at Guildfest would typically be raffle items, especially the T4 items that the shops tend to sell these days (heck, sometimes there's a shop or two with limited/neat-looking T5 gear). I'm very happy to see that the guildfest shops have gear that is more "viable" these days when compared to crafted stuff.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/05/2017 03:41 PM CDT
<What you are asking for is not within the scope of Guildfest. Every event is different. Guildfest does not have raffles and is not intended to have raffles, it has other types of events.

I understand there are rules, but why not allow a conversation.

<If you are not interested in the auction or any other event that you feel is more spectator-y for your character, then that event isn't/those events aren't for you :) I'd suggest you check out any of the many other events going on during the festival, both scheduled and otherwise.

While I appreciate your consideration on my own personal behalf :} for years many players some who no longer are customers have shared a scathing criticism of the auctions. Rather than continue to hemorrhage good will and friends by censoring the dialogue... why not open the floor? There is nothing to lose but good will to gain, and a much more successful event!

After all you can silence the discussion but not the unhappy attitude many apparently have on the Auctions, which are not for the greater population of the player base, but an elite few who are interested in ceasing their gold selling trade long enough to dominate an event.

<neat high-end stuff they could choose to try to save up for in the future

It is a misconception the average player can hunt on their own to participate when a 200th circle character hunting from longer than dawn to dusk the baddest of the bad, 7 days a week for months cannot.

Also why would you want players to hunt like that?

Don't these mind sets and events hinder role play in the day to day by advocating for nonstop hunting to save for them?

Raffles are much more of a fun participation for the game as a whole, and would make a nice finale for the event. Rather than a coin dump meant only to celebrate those who have the coin, or the RL cash enough to be preyed upon by those same people.

Thanks for the replies Persida!!
Re: Why not raffles? 06/05/2017 10:46 PM CDT
so...you know they've been doing auctions for a long time now, right? It's not like this is new information.

It's as though I walk into a store and say: "hey, I'd like the Samsung S8. I realize it's more expensive and I don't actually need it, as far as phones go, but hey -- why not."

"oh,i'm sorry. we've stopped carrying that. Now we carry nokia so that everyone can have the same phone."

Auctions aren't going to disappear. Sure, other things might pop up to sort of happen alongside it (like a guildfest?) but the outcry against it seems unnecessary.

If anything, I'd suggest making the items bid on be "legacy" so that they are either bind to account or bind to character. This, at least, would HOPEFULLY prevent items being bought in bulk and being sold soon after.

FYI -- not everyone does that. Occasionally, some do bid on an item they like, keep it, and don't part with.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/05/2017 11:52 PM CDT
I don't like unique or auction items that are permanently bound personally. 1 person wins it and they either vault it up, quit playing that character, quit playing altogether, realize it's not all that useful and never use it and you've just put X amount of hours into creating something unique that only 1 person can enjoy.

I've purchased some neat old auction items from trader shops that I got for a fraction of the plats they originally went for and they got another couple years enjoyment. If they were permanently bonded that would not be possible obviously.

Yeah, that means that some of the items will be purchased with the intent to be resold but that's nothing new about -anything- in DR.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 05:48 AM CDT
First of all, this entire thread is a troll.

>>It is a misconception the average player can hunt on their own to participate<<

Second of all, these are tears about people buying plats to win over...

>>when a 200th circle character hunting from longer than dawn to dusk the baddest of the bad, 7 days a week for months cannot.<<

Tarlof Tarlof Tarlof!

You may want to brush up on your auction history. There have been plenty of wins with quantities of coins that you could accrue at your level in 2 years time now (since there was no Guildfest last year). A few thousand plat is not very hard to come by, even at lower circles these days. Your options: hunt something better?, farm zombie head splitters since they die pretty much instantly and pay out insanely well vs anything else in game, pop boxes (you had two years to work on this if you haven't), do work orders, sell crafted goods, and last, but not least, sell a record album.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 08:56 AM CDT
<so...you know they've been doing auctions for a long time now, right? It's not like this is new information.

I know but no one enjoys them.

<I don't like unique or auction items that are permanently bound personally. 1 person wins it and they either vault it up, quit playing that character, quit playing altogether, realize it's not all that useful and never use it and you've just put X amount of hours into creating something unique that only 1 person can enjoy.

Right but then the problem is its just a gold seller buying the item to get it out of staff hands at the event, and it goes to drsales to turn an RL cash profit.

I mean it's boring to watch as a spectator and to me, no less meaningless.

<If anything, I'd suggest making the items bid on be "legacy" so that they are either bind to account or bind to character. This, at least, would HOPEFULLY prevent items being bought in bulk and being sold soon after.

I think thats a big help with the animosity against auctions.

The question was asked in the events folder if the items were to be bound and so far... it's all quiet on that front. But at least the conversation bore positive fruit.

Which is kinda my point.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 09:05 AM CDT
>>I know but no one enjoys them.<<

It's unbearably unenjoyable to the point so many people go, that it crashes the game.

>>I know but no one enjoys them.<<

It's unbearably unenjoyable to the point so many people go, that it crashes the game.

>>I think thats a big help with the animosity against auctions.<<

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 09:08 AM CDT
I got so carried away that I left this out...

>>I mean it's boring to watch as a spectator<<

My many apologies.

Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 09:11 AM CDT
>>no one enjoys them.

I enjoy them greatly. Especially when they lead to epic, popcorn requiring tantrums over a magic sack of runestones.

If we're being honest, a raffle will suffer the same woes as the auction. The primary problem person has an incredible number of accounts under his control (watch them all disco sometimes, it is rather disheartening to watch), and will cheerfully troop them all through to pad his chances of being able to flip a rare raffle item.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 09:13 AM CDT
<My many apologies.

Yes.

The avalanche of support for this auction in its current state is you. Squanto, Mothra, and Persida. I have never met someone IG who enjoyed them, ever.

I do however understand you need to defend your friends positions.

On another matter! Congratulations on your selection to get a brand in the fire and brand event!

I am confident you will get one.

We are all cheering for you!
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 09:29 AM CDT
LOL

>>The avalanche of support<<

If we flip this nonsense logic on itself, basically you are pretty much the only one who offers yourself an avalanche of support for your arguments.

>>I do however understand you need to defend your friends positions.<<

It's not so much defending anyone's position(s), so much as not agreeing with yours; however, I do defend/support the staff for keeping things that work going (like auctions that draw in a ridiculous amount of participation).

>>On another matter! Congratulations on your selection to get a brand in the fire and brand event!

I am confident you will get one.

We are all cheering for you!<<

I truly appreciate your kind gesture and all those who you represent. I want to thank God, my moms and the staff that made this possible, along with any friends that accompanied me on mine quest to glory.

Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 09:45 AM CDT

<If we flip this nonsense logic on itself, basically you are pretty much the only one who offers yourself an avalanche of support for your arguments.

It's true.

I am a hero to many.

<It's not so much defending anyone's position(s), so much as not agreeing with yours; however, I do defend/support the staff for keeping things that work going (like auctions that draw in a ridiculous amount of participation).

You and everyone else is always welcome not to agree. I just wish people wouldn't so hastily shut down the conversation, with frivolous accusations.

<I truly appreciate your kind gesture and all those who you represent. I want to thank God, my moms and the staff that made this possible, along with any friends that accompanied me on mine quest to glory.

And lo we find common ground again.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 09:55 AM CDT
>>The avalanche of support for this auction in its current state is you. Squanto, Mothra, and Persida. I have never met someone IG who enjoyed them, ever.

I don't think Squanto can stress enough that enough people go to the point where you have the main complaint being that the multitude of people there with atmo items on ends up breaking the entire game.

Look, there are things that the auction can do better. And the idea that there should also be raffles is a good one, but totally unrelated to there being an auction.

The reality of auctions in Prime is two-fold:

1) You aren't expected to always win something.
2) You aren't expected to consistently win something.

With this in mind, it isn't hard to take the time to save up for a big awesome thing, because in Prime you're supposed to maybe get an awesome thing sometimes, not always get an awesome thing yearly.

It helps to look at things in this lens because it changes the dynamics of an auction. You shouldn't aim to earn X per year/month, but aim to earn X to eventually compete. Even with my lazy hunting/training, I've earned a few thousand plats, which covers the gross majority of items in these kinds of auctions. Yes, you might not compete for the ultra-weapon-bazooka, but that's a highly competitive niche of a niche.

>>I do however understand you need to defend your friends positions.

For someone who is always finding unfair bias in things, I'm surprised you're not in favor of something as straightforward and mechanical as an auction.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Why not raffles? ::NUDGE:: 06/06/2017 12:58 PM CDT
While this is the Equine Cemetery, it's still not a conflict folder. Please stick to addressing the points of the discussion and not each other.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Why not raffles? ::NUDGE:: 06/06/2017 01:40 PM CDT
>While this is the Equine Cemetery, it's still not a conflict folder. Please stick to addressing the points of the discussion and not each other.

Fair enough. Sorry about that.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 03:54 PM CDT
<For someone who is always finding unfair bias in things, I'm surprised you're not in favor of something as straightforward and mechanical as an auction.

I certainly don't have GM's offering me jobs in Dragonrealms like some players if that's what you meant?

My opinion was more, why an auction when a raffle is so much better. Or why not both or a mix.

The auction alone has problems.

Unless you spend your RL cash for plats, or are you yourself a plat farmer you can't really hope to compete.

In addition if the items are NOT bound to the account, they are inevitably sold on drsales.

Telling the average player they can save for next year is simply untrue.

And will hurt day to day chances at role play as those players strive to do just that.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 05:02 PM CDT
>Unless you spend your RL cash for plats, or are you yourself a plat farmer you can't really hope to compete.
>In addition if the items are NOT bound to the account, they are inevitably sold on drsales.
>Telling the average player they can save for next year is simply untrue.

Anyone can look at the auctions page (even the latest ingame coin auctions) on epedia and see your statements are incorrect. Do you believe what you're posting?
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 05:40 PM CDT

<Anyone can look at the auctions page (even the latest ingame coin auctions) on epedia and see your statements are incorrect. Do you believe what you're posting?

2015 Guild festival Auction

Lowest sold item 3,125 Plat

Highest sold item 93,750 Plat

Average price of an item 25,871 plat

Meaning a player is expected to gain as low as 60 plat a week

Or an average of 497 Plat a week in order to make the average item winning bid for the next year.

In the extreme case they need to make 1,802 Plat a week

It is worth noting only 5 items sold at the low end of the total 27. The rest sold of much greater multiples.

Seems unrealistic to expect players to be able to save this magnitude of wealth.

And if I may be so bold, disingenuous to lead your fellow players astray as some seem inclined to do.

Advocating people to interact on one hand, and then disregarding their concerns about the wealth gap of participation for these events with assurances that they need only save.

When the pursuit of those appetites will only leave them unfilled on both the long run with being unable to purchase the majority of auction items and short run with nonstop hunting excluding them from day to day participation.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 05:47 PM CDT
>>Meaning a player is expected to gain

Right here is where you're screwing yourself up. No one is expecting every player to make enough money to make bids at every auction.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 06:18 PM CDT
>>Right here is where you're screwing yourself up. No one is expecting every player to make enough money to make bids at every auction.

exactly

Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 06:31 PM CDT
>>The avalanche of support for this auction in its current state is you. Squanto, Mothra, and Persida. I have never met someone IG who enjoyed them, ever.

I MAY have enough plat spread across all my characters in Prime to buy one of the garbage items that always goes for 2K-5K plat every auction and I think watching them are one of the best things about festivals,
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 06:44 PM CDT

<Right here is where you're screwing yourself up. No one is expecting every player to make enough money to make bids at every auction.

Right here is where you're screwing yourself up. This is an event, events imply participation.

Raffles versus Auctions it's no contest.

A crowd of spectators are not interested in whether or not "plat farmer alt character" #3 wins the mirror blade.

With a raffle they are personally invested.

To be honest the event itself perpetuates such a chronic toxicity that literally hurts the game I am surprised it still a viable festival option, especially when you consider the lack of role play between festivals as players try in vain to save for items they'll never afford on their own.

It's promoting afk scripting.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 06:47 PM CDT
>>Right here is where you're screwing yourself up. This is an event, events imply participation.

The event is guildfest. Participation is open if you can get there.

The auction is an auction. It's never once been expected that every person who attends would be able to make winning bids. The whole concept is built around the person with the most money getting the thing if they want it. That's what auctions are.

>>Raffles versus Auctions...

If you'd prefer to go to raffles then go to raffles. Some people enjoy going to them and the gm's enjoy putting them on. The same is true of auctions.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 07:00 PM CDT

<The auction is an auction. It's never once been expected that every person who attends would be able to make winning bids. The whole concept is built around the person with the most money getting the thing if they want it. That's what auctions are.

Right but as I posted earlier a finale for Guild festival, more of a community festival it seems disloyal to the theme to have the entire festival terminate with two exclusion events Fire and skin (Barb only) And the the Auction.

Both events relegating the majority of Elanthia to a spectator only capacity.

One by Guild affiliation and the other by wealth of the account/character.

A raffle alongside the auction or instead of would have made much more sense to include everyone in the event, rather than a wallet check at the door for participation.

Everyone comments on the decline of participation from time to time, but they don't deviate from their same tired ways.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting differing results is the definition of madness.

And ignoring literally decades of dissension on the subject of auctions is essentially the same.

Madness.
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 07:26 PM CDT
Tarlof, keep posting your same points over and over and definitely maybe eventually you'll still not convince us you are correct and we all are wrong. To be fair to you, I actually believe you are just full of crap and lamely attempting to troll us. So, with the likelihood of that being 100% accurate, carry on, good sir!

Re: Why not raffles? :::NUDGE::: 06/06/2017 08:20 PM CDT
Please stop with the name calling. You can make your points without it. Future transgressions will be met with Cautions and Warnings.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Why not raffles? 06/06/2017 10:35 PM CDT
>>it seems disloyal to the theme to have the entire festival terminate with two exclusion events Fire and skin (Barb only) And the the Auction.

So events where all players can't [arguably] participate should go in the middle of the event, with more group-participation things like Glaes Spatula, the conquest wheel game, and catch the critter going toward the end?

Re: Why not raffles? **Thread Over** 06/07/2017 06:36 AM CDT
Posts were removed because conflicts do not belong in this folder. Take it to OOC Conflicts in the Social Side.

As posters continue to go off topic and repeatedly are not addressing the content/topic of this thread, this one is done. Any further posts in this thread will be removed.

-Persida