Re: Get the game on Steam 03/14/2016 06:50 PM CDT
>RE: Gweth channels. Don't we already have the K and J channels (not mentioning those silly ones that shall not be named because no one ever used them). Everyone focused on the K channel so why not let the J channel be a more loose one? It would make a reason for Moonies to make J gweths too. Just a thought.

1. Just an FYI. There's only 2 gweth channels. Chorus and cacophony. The 6 gweths are 3 variations for each channel. Only reason no one used the lesser ones is because they aren't fire and forget like J/K.
2. A person wearing both types recieves either or both types, but transmits to both types. There would have to be a change such that players could pick a channel to talk on. They'd also have to know which channel the message came from, because currently all they know is the distance it came from. Which relates to #3.
3. Jadeite/cacophony distance is VERY short. Before the change to kyanite distance, you could tell it was a kyanite message because you'd hear it 'faintly'. Without going into the zones that make up long distances, it's basically little more than a city and it's immediate environment. The jadeite/cacophony range would have to be greatly increased to be useful. Someone in Leth would not hear what people in Crossing are saying, for example.

>> Not everyone wants to RP ESPECIALLY most younger players

>C'mon now. Age has nothing to do with preference.

I daresay that the younger people would be MORE likely to RP.

>They could just not police it.

That will NEVER fly. NO company, ANYWHERE is going to be responsible for something and not have at least marginal control over content. That'd be wildly irresponsible.

>The game needs to have its esrb changed anyways. It should have the modern mmo label applied... this game would never qualify for E these days.

>And DR wouldn't get T or M it would get the MMO classification

What is this 'modern mmo' label/classification? I visited ESRB.org itself, and I find no such thing as a "MMO classification". I did a search of all the MMOs I've ever played. There's nothing that says they are MMOs without reading actual long descriptions of them, just a small category that there is 'online interactions'. Which DR does not specify itself, admittedly. As for the ratings, DR is 'E', all the MMOs I looked at (EQ, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Champions Online, Aion, WoW (never played it, looked it up just because it's WoW)) are only T themselves.

If I had to put a label on Dragonrealms personally, I'd say DR would be E10+, which lies between E and T. There are somewhat graphical depictions of violence every now and then, but nothing suggestive, no offensive language.

Although TERA was an M (My god, was that suggestive just looking at character outfits and animation), I didn't actually play it past open beta. Just didn't give me what I look for since Aion. I don't think there will be another MMO for years that will. 3 dimensional flight is a powerful thing, even if somewhat imbalanced in implementation (those poor melees chasing down ranged fighters).

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Get the game on Steam 03/14/2016 06:54 PM CDT
Per the ESRB's own guidelines, DR would easily make T if not M. Graphic violence, gambling, and mild-to-moderate sexual content all exist within the game and are all criteria of those ratings.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Get the game on Steam 03/14/2016 07:02 PM CDT
>Per the ESRB's own guidelines, DR would easily make T if not M. Graphic violence, gambling, and mild-to-moderate sexual content all exist within the game and are all criteria of those ratings.

I'm not sure how DR is more violent than WoW.

I'm also not sure where 'mild-to-moderate' sexual conduct in DR is. The ESRB specifically doesn't rate player actions, and I'm not aware of any brothels or other sexually-oriented aspect of DR as part of the game, not player action.
Re: Get the game on Steam 03/14/2016 07:04 PM CDT
Brothels exist in-setting and are referenced in multiple places. There is also the Dirge Pleasure Room and the Theren orb and the burlesque strip-show on Ratha to name a few other examples.

DR is a LOT more violent than WoW.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Get the game on Steam 03/14/2016 07:41 PM CDT
Does Steam even require an ESRB rating?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Get the game on Steam 03/14/2016 07:50 PM CDT
Dragonrealms damage messaging is basically Mortal Kombat, spinal columns and all. Don't forget the alcohol and tobacco use!

The fact that its all text, though... it seems that DR is the only game of its kind with an ESRB rating so I have no basis for comparison... I'm sure the ESRB would have one in their rubric, either.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 09:20 PM CDT
Regardless of the games rating, its 2016 and time to get the game some advertising and available on Steam. From playing EQ all the way up to TESO and nearly every MMO in between, even some tiny names like Rubies of Eventide, I can safely say the younger generation of gamers can and do Role Play. Especially if they are seeing it done well, they want to be a part of it. Teens wanting to Role Play probably have more imagination than most of us have left in us after all.

Let's face it...the game gets new blood in tiny droplets and they don't always last because there isn't enough of those drops to interact with each other. The most important thing to make a game fun and relevant is a vast community of players at all stages of character development. More players is essential to take DR into another 20+ years of great community and game play experience. Having no chance to ever catch up to people who have been playing a decade or more is a hard pill to swallow unless there are a lot of people in the same situation.

If you get a flood of new players from Steam or wherever, it would be certain every one of them stands a higher chance of subscribing when they are not feeling like the only one who is totally lost. It also makes being a veteran more fun no matter the way you slice it. Help em or hinder em, whatever is your cup of tea, its nice to have options. Socially the game needs an infusion of naive beginners to help balance things out and add to the living feel the game has always had.

Being free to play makes the game prime for a new generation to get hooked and become subscribers. Get on the free to play section on Steam, keep adding stuff to the Simu Store each month, and watch the subscriptions come rolling in. Heck if you failed and it didn't work at least it was an attempt.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 09:26 PM CDT
While I don't think getting DR on Steam is a bad idea per se, I really think the front ends need to be upgraded before that happens. The web FE is a nightmare and SF is a huge pain to get working more often than not on top of being extremely unfortunately named.

Thayet

Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 09:31 PM CDT
Ironically, the grand list of things that chase new players out of the game also happens to include people with nasty, abrasive attitudes.

Thayet

Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 09:48 PM CDT
>>Ironically, the grand list of things that chase new players out of the game also happens to include people with nasty, abrasive attitudes.

You are the first person to respond to any post made in any thread on the forum. I think its safe to say you are not a new player. And any abrasiveness or attitude I give you or other people posting on the forums responding to anything and everything I post, regardless of what its about, is far away from how I treat new players in game.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 09:56 PM CDT
It's a good thing you have such flawless insight into which players are new, so you know precisely who to be rude to and who to be nice to. Equally fortunate that people never look at how a person treats other people and make generalizations about their attitude or the kind of environment and culture an environment has or cultivates.

You should be the change you want to see. Don't decry the negative impact of trolls, griefers, and general rudeness while embodying those things yourself.

Thayet

Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:03 PM CDT
>>You are the first person to respond to any post made in any thread on the forum.

I take offense to that remark.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:07 PM CDT
>>I wish I knew the exact percentage of threads you Hi jack and get necroed on a weekly basis considering you are probably the most zealous greifer on the forums.

Seriously feeling negged here.

Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:11 PM CDT
>> I will just point out how you are making broad, sweeping generalizations, and assumptions which have no real basis from my posting.

Isn't this essentially what you did when speaking about gwethsmashers and the people who use them?

>> I actually don't know why you have not been banned just looking over your history of arguing with everyone.

You're free to start a conflict thread about it if you feel that strongly.

Thayet

Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:11 PM CDT
If we've reduced the term griefing to mean "disagreeing with me," can we finally just stop using the word?

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:12 PM CDT
>Seriously feeling negged here.

You'd have a very pretty face if you lost some weight.
Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:17 PM CDT
>If we've reduced the term griefing to mean "disagreeing with me," can we finally just stop using the word?

Given the response, I guess so.
Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:20 PM CDT
>>Disagreeing to disagree and derailing my threads or posts no matter the folder its posted in over a prolonged period of time is a classic example. You defending this behavior is a disappointment.

TBH, the stance of "the gweths were never good and I don't like them so any issues with smashing are moot" is a pretty silly stance to take.

I'm not sure how anyone having that view is trolling.

Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:21 PM CDT
>>It doesn't have to be reduced. Greifing in games literally means irritating people intentionally by definition. Disagreeing to disagree and derailing my threads or posts no matter the folder its posted in over a prolonged period of time is a classic example. You defending this behavior is a disappointment.

I'm going to tell you the secret. You will probably not believe me, you may not understand it, but it is the secret of True Griefing, the kind that can destroy anyone in the eyes of others.

If you let someone talk long enough, you don't need to mock them.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:24 PM CDT

>>If you let someone talk long enough, you don't need to mock them.

That's a bible proverb. If you talk too much you will say the wrong thing. No secret there. And the only mistake I made was attempting to defend myself to idiots.

Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:30 PM CDT
Better heel work than anything on 'Mania.

Kudos!
Re: Get the game on Steam 04/04/2016 10:31 PM CDT
man mania was bad tho, realtalk

Thayet

Re: Get the game on Steam ::NUDGE:: 04/04/2016 10:34 PM CDT
Hey guys this is the Equine Cemetery, not conflicts. If your post is about another poster, it's off topic. Please take that sort of thing over to conflicts if you feel the need.

Thank you.

Aneka
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Aneka@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
::Posts Hidden:: 04/05/2016 12:08 AM CDT

Some posts were removed.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Get the game on Steam 03/02/2017 01:49 PM CST

<<Per the ESRB's own guidelines, DR would easily make T if not M. Graphic violence, gambling, and mild-to-moderate sexual content all exist within the game and are all criteria of those ratings.>>

My girlfriends 10 year old son plays grand theft auto, and all kinds of more mature games on Steam, it's not like there is anything to prevent them from playing other than parents.

There is nudity, sex and violence all over steam with tons of kids and teens playing. Hell I played DR myself when I was 14...lol. I played it for years but never noticed all the stuff your saying, nor was I traumatized by some text saying I cleaved the head off a goblin.

I would daresay the most destructive part of DR isn't the game, it's the community, there was and maybe still are many deviant questionable people playing, I ran across them myself when I was a kid.