Annoying forums bugs 01/30/2012 04:22 PM CST
I've been running with the forums in threaded view for awhile now, and I've noticed several significantly annoying bugs.

1) Entering a folder will mark that folder as read. Not the messages in the folder, but the folder itself. For instance, if I start in the "DragonRealms" top folder, go into the "Discussions with DragonsRealms Staff and Players" and then go back to "DragonRealms", the Discussions folder won't be show if I have the "Unread only" option selected. This doesn't make sense to me, as I have plenty of unread threads in the Discussions folder.

2) I've seen what are apparently merged threads, where for most of the page it's one thread, then suddenly its a new thread. I noticed this most recently in the 'scrip' thread in the Paid Events/Quests topic. Thread was about scrip being per character vs per account, then suddenly the title changes and it's about the prison shop. I realize that this is probably because someone hit 'reply' to a thread and changed the topic/threadjacked. For this reason, I think topic changes should be treated conservatively and generate a new thread. When the topic changes, it's effectively signifying a change in discussion topic, and that seems to fit with the idea of a new thread. Otherwise you have a significant chance of important threads being lost in the noise of another thread. In this case - that the prison scrip shop will be coming out in a few days.

All in all, I prefer the threaded view, but #1 makes it difficult to read topics in the order that I want to (read one topic, jump to another forum, read a topic there, come back to the first one); and #2 makes me feel like I need to scrounge through every thread and pretty much defeats the idea of the threaded view.

Cheers,
-Greg

If it makes a difference, I'm running Chrome under Windows7.