Forum Error 11/14/2011 11:15 AM CST
I'm posting here on Drevid's behalf, and his forum problems. He wanted me to include this screenshot to show the error he's receiving:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d120/Kapy01/Untitled.jpg

He was saying that the error only occurs when he's logged in, and he's tried several different web browsers as well as different computers and receives the same error.
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 11:37 AM CST
Sadly, it's not something limited just to him. I think the GMs/Mods have asked people to post about it in the Simutronics forum support section (as opposed to this forum support sections) in the past, but I'm not sure what progress has been made to resolve it.
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 11:59 AM CST
One way to avoid this is to not use the "Show New Messages, All Categories and Topics" link. Navigating through messages by category should eliminate this from happening.

Solomon
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 12:28 PM CST
>>One way to avoid this is to not use the "Show New Messages, All Categories and Topics" link. Navigating through messages by category should eliminate this from happening.

You're right, but some forum-readers who tend to read everything and anything (cough) end up having to do a lot more "work" to read threads. One click vs three, five, a dozen... etc. It adds up!
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 03:03 PM CST
<<You're right, but some forum-readers who tend to read everything and anything (cough) end up having to do a lot more "work" to read threads. One click vs three, five, a dozen... etc. It adds up!>>

A little more "work" for a lot more success seems like a good trade-off to me. For the record, there's not a TON we can do about those delays, to my knowledge. It's simply a limitation of the cloud and the technology vs being able to have forums we can update and improve upon.

Solomon
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 03:40 PM CST
<<One way to avoid this is to not use the "Show New Messages, All Categories and Topics" link. Navigating through messages by category should eliminate this from happening.

That's a horrible solution. Why have the link if it's broken or not working properly? This started two days ago so I am not sure what changed since then.

I normally read the boards a few times a day. I guess I'll just refrain from using the boards in the future. I am just not going to click on hundreds or however many folders and threads there are.

Thanks for the help.

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 03:50 PM CST
<<That's a horrible solution. Why have the link if it's broken or not working properly? This started two days ago so I am not sure what changed since then.>>

It's not a horrible solution if it works. The link is there because it doesn't always timeout, but depending on how many topics, categories, and messages it's trying to load, along with the time of day, there's always a chance that it gets bogged down. Even on the old forums it would take a while, it just didn't do the "dot thing". Nothing has changed over the last two days, at least as far as the forum software though.

<< I am just not going to click on hundreds or however many folders and threads there are. >>

You don't have to do that at all. Once you start reading, there are navigation links at the top of the page to move to the next topic/category, etc.

Solomon
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 04:13 PM CST
<<It's not a horrible solution if it works.

Going from one click to hundreds or however many there are isn't a horrible solution? I guess we'll just have to disagree about that.

I know that MY issue started two days ago. I can't speak for what goes on at Simutronics I will just take your word for it that nothing has happen there. I know for a fact nothing has changed here. So it'll remain a mystery as to what happen that is preventing me from viewing the forums in the way I've always viewed them.

I do appreciate the feedback, although I didn't find it helpful.

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 04:26 PM CST
>>A little more "work" for a lot more success seems like a good trade-off to me.

I feel like most of my issue with the suggestion (although a valid one that does work!) is that I feel like the boards take a step backward with it. The older version of the boards had the "show everything please" link function without fail, as far as I recall. If the new boards don't have it work anymore, then to me it's a step backward in terms of board usability/friendliness/accessibility/etc.

I know part of the frustration comes from the fact that most boards run some iteration of phpbb, making "see everything new please" rather normal/expected. And I understand that the phpbb setup just doesn't play nicely with the general account setup for Simu as a whole, but it is a bit frustrating on the player-side to now have to keep clicking new categories/topics/threads/etc in order to read things, when in the past we never had to do that.
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 04:39 PM CST
>>The older version of the boards had the "show everything please" link function without fail, as far as I recall.

Pretty much this. I'm used to navigating the forums now minus the "show everything please" button, it's just unfortunate that this upgrade to the forums killed it.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 04:43 PM CST
>Navigating through messages by category should eliminate this from happening.

You'd think, but this doesn't generally work any better than the New Messages at the top of the tree. At least from what I've found. Yesterday I had the same issue when trying to read the Abilities and Magic category. I click Dragonrealms, I click Abilities and Magic, I see there are two subfolders with new messages, one message in each folder. Shouldn't be a problem to load two messages, but I hit New Messages and come back five minutes later to a screen filled with periods.

I tried off an on for an hour and gave up.
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 05:00 PM CST
>>It's simply a limitation of the cloud and the technology vs being able to have forums we can update and improve upon.

That's all fine and dandy, but when does the UPDATE or IMPROVEMENTS going to arrive? So far it's just been a giant FORUM NERF.

Waiting for results......

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 05:18 PM CST
>>Pretty much this. I'm used to navigating the forums now minus the "show everything please" button, it's just unfortunate that this upgrade to the forums killed it.

I agree. I also like to use the "show all" button, and the change has been very frustrating.

It is really nice to be able to just click once and get a page that you can scroll through at leisure. I realize I can click the "next category" buttons but I agree that it's slightly annoying and not ideal.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 05:35 PM CST
>>The link is there because it doesn't always timeout, but depending on how many topics, categories, and messages it's trying to load, along with the time of day, there's always a chance that it gets bogged down.

Several times last night (into late night) and today, when there were -maybe- 5 posts at the absolute most that I was trying to access, all I got was the waiting............... for line after line. There could not have been that many people accessing the boards all at that same exact time. Before the last couple days, it might have taken a few minutes (for me) at the most to show all the messages by clicking that link. Something is currently wrong and it needs to be looked in to.
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 08:57 PM CST
I use standard (non-threaded) view, new topics only, and use the 'next topic' button to navigate. Exclusively. And about 1/3-1/5 of the time, I get a timeout/error/etc.

So if I'm understanding the proposed solution, it's more of a 'maybe it'll work a little better' than flat out 100% sure fire fix.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Forum Error 11/14/2011 10:21 PM CST
i'm one of the people that used to do the "click all new" as well. I've been getting the "waiting for results" thing since the "threaded views" were put on. At least its good to know that its not just me with my ancient computer equipment that's getting it. heh.

-player of too damn many s'kra -
Re: Forum Error 11/16/2011 03:08 PM CST
The number of messages that need to be loaded, unfortunately, does not necessarily mean a great deal since it still must be handled as a background task. I can't fetch how many messages are going to be fetched with actually doing the fetching, which can't be done inline with the request.

That being said, while we did not change the code ourselves, at some point over the weekend the application or the database restarted. While this doesn't affect the application's state, it does (sometimes) change the default sorting that the database does. Because of how the "Show All New" query works, it gets attached to the "first" post (according to the database) which is then copied into another section of the database. Unfortunately, when it restarted, the database chose a post with a huge log in it, so it was doing a massive write whenever someone clicked "Show All New".

This is when I smacked myself in the head.

I fixed it on Monday afternoon to instead choose a specific post which has a very tiny footprint and have not seen any issues since. If you do notice anything in regards to consistent slowness, please post here and I'll look into it.

-Michael
Re: Forum Error 11/16/2011 03:17 PM CST
Thank you Michael, it's been much, much, much better. <3
Re: Forum Error 11/16/2011 03:55 PM CST
I still tend to lock up. I appreciate you looking into what caused it, though! Those fun little system errors make the world go round.